Badges, Time Keeping, & Egress issues.

herbigharo32

Hello folks. Several problems in my facility has been surfacing as of late. This facility is located at DFW Airport. Firstly, it should be noted this shipping facility is over 1,000,000 sq feet in size, probably not the largest UPS sort but by no means a small one.

Upon completing an instruction to go work another area a stop was made to use the restroom. Supervisor informed that too much time was spent between the two work areas. It was explained that a short break had to be taken for restroom use. The supervisor then stated that I was followed while being mapped which route was taken in the building. Why ask about which way I went if I was followed?

Problem beings with accountability. The clock in badges were confiscated this last week leaving no means to electronically swipe in and out each work area. Of course this can lead to speculation along with lack of accountability when registering times worked. Yes there are sign in sheets but that electronic time clock card is a man's best friend for both employee and supervisor up to senior management.

The issue with restroom break borders on harassment. I'm really on the fence on rather an OSHA complaint should be submitted should this become a larger problem down the road. Since I by no means 'Excessively' use the restroom, it should be no surprise no problems has occurred with UPS during almost 6 years working there, .... until now.

The labor contract states employees gets a 10 minute rest break not to commence during 1st hour of the shift and not later than 3rd hour. The facility I work does not normally adhere to the rest breaks on part of both employee and management alike.

When speaking to the supervisor, several suggestions were made:

1. Electronic time clock badges: Either have them on the persons working or just work in one area. Moving around the building without the badges on each persons is problematic at best. Registering the badge to each area removes any speculation on how long it took for someone to move from one area to another.
2. Restroom use.... well duh. Nothing to say here.
3. Supervisor was informed no policies were violated on my part. A short break which could typically consist of using the toilet, refilling the water jug, and/or short rest stop (not to exceed 10 min) falls under the labor contract for 3.5 hour sorts regarding relief periods.

Now asking for opinions.

Am I reasonable to ask that I work in just one area without a time card on hand? Of course the option of having a time card to register at the new work area is always there too.

How exactly should the issue with occasional use of toilet facilities be handled? In extreme cases, OSHA should be involved. For now, this seems very isolated while yet points to what can be an alarming trend in my facility.

Do all sort / preload employees working 3.5 hour sorts get a 10 minute relief period? Reason for asking is there are many contracts covering different regions. The one I was citing was for Southern Region and not sure if that covers the Red River district.

Well, thanks for reading and have a good day.

EmraldArcher

Step 1. Don't worry

Step 2. File a grievance for harassment and demand an explanation from the company as to why you were being followed and the policies in place governing this behavior.

Step 3. File a grievance for not being given your contractually mandated break EVERY time it happens

Step 4. Take a bathroom break every single day 2 minutes after coming back from your 10 minute break

By and large, the management of this company will try and bully you into whatever they can't contractually force you to do. Don't let them.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I agree with Step 4....my 10 min break doesn't not include using the restroom...lol. To the OP, legally, management cannot prohibit you from using the restroom or leaving your work area to get water. If they say you're not allowed, ask for your steward immediately. If they continue to harass you about using the bathroom, note the time you left and returned (so they can't claim it was 15 min when it was 5) and file a grievance for harassment. And yes, PT employees are all allowed a 10 min break. In my local I believe it's allowed after the first hour and before the last hour of your shift.

oldngray

nowhere special
We don't need no stinkin' badges!
6338161472_c871c01384_z.jpg

hexmurph

I work at DFW as well, i still have my clock in badge.

As far as breaks, no one gets official breaks., I was told air hubs dont get breaks. it sucked when i was new and would just work my whole shift w/o a break, now i just take ten to piss and smoke half a cig about half way through, no sups say anything as long as i keep it ten mins or less. but no official bre

and good luck with filing...767 is a shambles

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
It's very refreshing to read a post that is concise, direct, informative of the situation, and all around a pleasure to the eyes.

I thank you sir for posting.

HBGPreloader

OSHA notes that adequate restroom facilities must be provided...
https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=INTERPRETATIONS&p_id=22932

However, restroom visits and other "breaks" are actually regulated by the DOL...
"Even though they are not required by the FLSA, if you permit your employees to take breaks, they must be counted as hours worked. This includes short periods the employees are allowed to spend away from the work site for any reason..."

http://www.dol.gov/elaws/esa/flsa/hoursworked/screenER5.asp

When it comes down to time working, the only thing I worry about is the time I punch in and the time I punch out at the end of the day - and getting paid for it. Beyond that, it's work as directed.

If something comes up or an issue arises, you're supposed to work through the problem and grieve it afterwords. However, if it is a genuine health or safety concern, you can refuse to work. But, don't be surprised if they move you into another area and stick some poor soul into that dangerous situation.

OPTION3

I love arguing for ten to fifteen minutes(on the clock) at local hearings, over a 1- to 2 minute bathroom break…….I stretch it out as much as I can…….geniuses we work for