Badly bitten by dog while getting signature from owner...

deepsouthmamaw

I've had that happen to me before. Pulled up to a home circle drive. Dropped pkg in drive. It was medicine 4 1/2 foot tall hound dog with a huge head engulfed pkg in his mouth. I could not see pkg any more. Called supervisor he went out to see what he could do. Happened to be neighbor dog she was appreciative my supervisor came out. She did not want her dog to swallow medicine for it might have harmed him. Never mind dog eating neighbor pkg. When I got in, talked to supervisor and asked if he got out of truck. "No", he said, "i just blew horn till someone came".

tracker2762

I had a signature required nda, the customer comes out with her two dogs. They weren't barking or aggressive just standing by her side. I flipped the diad over to get get signature, thats when "jake" jumped up and bit me right between the legs. I didn't see him jump because the diad had blocked him out. Ask customer to use bathroom to see what happened and sure enough three teeth marks bleeding across my penis. So I finished my airs and then drove my pc to the hospital where they cleaned it up and gave me a tetnis. Went back to my area and finished the day. The customer didn't believe her dog bit me and no apology. That kinda of made me mad. Now any dog in the yard and I'm not getting out. Just like Rod said beep the horn wait then leave. Turn the pkg in to Qc NI1 with "Dog in yard"

Overpaid Union Thug

I've learned that the best way to deal with dogs is to approach the house slowly and to keep as much eye contact with them as I can from the moment I step out of the truck. Constant eye contact tends to show the dog you aren't scared (even if you are) and most will back off. Its pretty obvious when they won't back off and that is when I NI1 with "Dog" written in the remarks field and give it to the clerk. The eye contact trick obviously doesn't work if they are bolting out of the house. LOL!

dupa

On-Road Integrated Optimization and Navigation.
first i was always told to let UPS obligations run there course, then you sue homeowner. not to say dont see lawyer right away, just let comp and taw run its course then file case, then ur not obligated to reimburse UPS. (just what i've been told)

Second, 10 years ago, walking up driveway with medicine bag got confronted by dog that wanted me bad, threw bag of med at him and dashed to truck, told next morning dog had to get stomach pumped. Sorry for that. Supervisor went out saw dog told me that night "good job"

17 years never bit

been trapped on porches, been chased to truck and have beat the **** out of about 5 dogs.
Diad is a wonderful weapon, dog doesnt stop on first hit to the mouth, second usually makes it rethink.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Ask customer to use bathroom to see what happened and sure enough three teeth marks bleeding across my penis. So I finished my airs and then drove my pc to the hospital where they cleaned it up and gave me a tetnis. Went back to my area and finished the day.

Wow.

If that happens to me, I am done for the day. And maybe the week. Come get the truck, I'm gonna go home and lay on the couch and eat Percocet and watch Oprah for awhile!:whiteflag:

ups1990

I can't stand stories like this. Many of us here have dogs and care for them very much, but one of our biggest pet peeves are dog owners who are irresponsible. They let the dogs roam loose while walking them and this happens at the time we're trying to make a delivery. The dog comes up to us and then the driver has to react, is this dog coming up to me to be playful or does it intend to bite me. The person who bring his dog to work is the worst. The animal goes up to you and starts jumping on you, very annoying. I think I'll bring my chinchilla and have it run around this person lap and desk, let's see hoe they like it.:wink2:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I can't stand stories like this. Many of us here have dogs and care for them very much, but one of our biggest pet peeves are dog owners who are irresponsible. They let the dogs roam loose while walking them and this happens at the time we're trying to make a delivery. The dog comes up to us and then the driver has to react, is this dog coming up to me to be playful or does it intend to bite me. The person who bring his dog to work is the worst. The animal goes up to you and starts jumping on you, very annoying. I think I'll bring my chinchilla and have it run around this person lap and desk, let's see hoe they like it.:wink2:

Yesterday, while I was making a resi delivery, I turned a corner and saw a man ahead of me walking a Pit. As soon as the man saw the truck coming around the corner he got off the road and stopped the dog. This sent up warning flags almost immediately. It really sent up warning flags as soon as the dog realized I was coming up the road. The dog 'alerted' on the truck and quickly became all but unmanageable. At one point, as I was passing, the dog almost jerked the leash out of the owners hand. The owner grabbed the dog by the back and pulled him back around. Unfortunately, the house that I needed was right where the owner stopped with the dog. :dissapointed: I chose to continue up to my next stop and came back to that one a few minutes later, after the owner had time to walk the dog down the street. I was a little worried about the dog but my fears were unnecesary. Walking up the street behind me was a group of people with dogs on leash. The Pit was perfectly behaved. It was the truck the Pit was after, however I was in the truck and was not going to risk instigating the problem any further by stopping. Don't get me wrong, I love Pits. When raised right they are the best dogs.

WyoBrown

I now have a totally different outlook on all dogs, Ive even looked at my own Newfie and wondered if she was capable of aggression....I guess Im a little paranoid after the incident. If I need a signature, I now ring, knock then stand way the hell back from the door. The homeowner can now come to me with the door shut behind them. Im angry that now there is a boogie man around every corner....I hope this fades....it totally takes the enjoyment out of delivering in my rural area.

jer

Damn, sorry to hear man.

A few months back, A pit took a bite at my leg. Luckily he just got my pants and I jumped up on dumpster. No more than 5 min. earlier, I was petting the dogs bellie, while she wagged her tail and had her tounge out.

Never know I guess.

Hope you heal up quick.

WyoBrown

Its easy to assume we're all men...but I'm a driver of the female persuasion :) Anyway, thanks for the kind comments and, thank god the pit didn't get you! I know there are many who are loyal to pits but in my book, they can't be trusted.

ups1990

Damn, sorry to hear man.

A few months back, A pit took a bite at my leg. Luckily he just got my pants and I jumped up on dumpster. No more than 5 min. earlier, I was petting the dogs bellie, while she wagged her tail and had her tounge out.

Never know I guess.

Hope you heal up quick.
The way you described the outcome, you're fortunate that it wasn't a male dog.

brown bomber

brown bomber
Yesterday, while I was making a resi delivery, I turned a corner and saw a man ahead of me walking a Pit. As soon as the man saw the truck coming around the corner he got off the road and stopped the dog. This sent up warning flags almost immediately. It really sent up warning flags as soon as the dog realized I was coming up the road. The dog 'alerted' on the truck and quickly became all but unmanageable. At one point, as I was passing, the dog almost jerked the leash out of the owners hand. The owner grabbed the dog by the back and pulled him back around. Unfortunately, the house that I needed was right where the owner stopped with the dog. :dissapointed: I chose to continue up to my next stop and came back to that one a few minutes later, after the owner had time to walk the dog down the street. I was a little worried about the dog but my fears were unnecesary. Walking up the street behind me was a group of people with dogs on leash. The Pit was perfectly behaved. It was the truck the Pit was after, however I was in the truck and was not going to risk instigating the problem any further by stopping. Don't get me wrong, I love Pits. When raised right they are the best dogs.

WyoBrown

Just remember that sometimes, as in my case, there was no warning. I can scan a yard as good as anyone, but this dog crept up behind me while up on the porch chatting with the owner and getting a signature. My point is...the owners have got to pay attention and be vigilant about knowing where their dogs are and what they're capable of. And, should an accident occur...own it!!!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Just remember that sometimes, as in my case, there was no warning. I can scan a yard as good as anyone, but this dog crept up behind me while up on the porch chatting with the owner and getting a signature. My point is...the owners have got to pay attention and be vigilant about knowing where their dogs are and what they're capable of. And, should an accident occur...own it!!!!!

Agreed but there was a driver in my district many years ago who had been nipped and decided to take out his frustration on the dog, killing it with his DIAD.

The onus is 100% on the homeowner to ensure that their dogs are secured at all times. We as service providers need to remain alert at all times. Cover drivers should ask the bid driver if there are any addresses they should use extra caution at due to dogs.

We should also be aware that electric fences don't always work, whether improperly installed, the collar not turned up enough or the dog simply not deterred by the shock.

This is also a good reminder for those of us who do not have supplemental health insurance (Aflac/Combined) to consider purchasing it.

BrownArmy

Last month I had to take a few stops from another driver who was in a nearby town - semi-rural, very wealthy. I was in a subdivision where all the houses look like mansions and have three-acre yards. It was the first time I'd been on this particular road, and every stop needed to be walked off.

I got halfway up the drive to a certain house when a LARGE dog bolted from the side of the house and came at me full-tilt barking like Cujo. Sometimes you just know they want to eat you - I set the package down on the edge of the grass next to the driveway and ran like hell back to the truck. I made it inside in time to slam the passenger side door closed before Cujo slammed himself into the truck.

When I've been back there since, I make a lot of noise at the front of the driveway!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Agreed but there was a driver in my district many years ago who had been nipped and decided to take out his frustration on the dog, killing it with his DIAD.

The onus is 100% on the homeowner to ensure that their dogs are secured at all times. We as service providers need to remain alert at all times. Cover drivers should ask the bid driver if there are any addresses they should use extra caution at due to dogs.

We should also be aware that electric fences don't always work, whether improperly installed, the collar not turned up enough or the dog simply not deterred by the shock.

This is also a good reminder for those of us who do not have supplemental health insurance (Aflac/Combined) to consider purchasing it.
And bid drivers can have notes put in their diads for those stops that have known problems such as aggressive dogs. This would be, by far, the better decision. Even bid drivers don't always think of every single address that has a problem and cover drivers don't always have the opportunity to ask the bid driver.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Dilli, there isn't much on my area that I am not aware of and I pass along this information to my primary cover driver. I don't tell him all of my "tricks" as I don't want him making me look bad but I do keep him updated on any changes on the area. For example, I am on vacation this week and I made sure to tell Jeremy that there is construction on campus and that he would have to use an alternate entrance to deliver to the bookstore. Had I not told him he could easily waste 5-10 minutes trying to figure out where to make their delivery. There is also a new pickup on area and they prefer that I make their pickup as late as possible and have agreed to leave the pkgs on their back porch (they also live there) so I can pickup after hours when it is more convenient for me. I also have a list of all of the entry codes for my area taped to my bulkhead door. I don't really care for my secondary cover driver so he is on his own as far as I'm concerned.

I personally don't care for notes in the DIAD although I can see how they would be very useful for a cover driver.