Bagging Smalls

Earion

I have been a package handler since being hired Peak 2011. I LOVE unloading trucks. I did not at first, but now I do. At some point I was put on bagging smalls every now and again once we were done the unload. I did not mind over much given that hours are limited in my shop, if I get a hundred dollar paycheck for the week it is a notable event. I figured it was a way for my supe to get me some hours as the small sort was the only thing going on later.

I hate bagging smalls. There.. I said it. It is a small tight area and it is mainly worked by younger (females) who chat the whole time. I am usually dripping in sweat from the unload and kind of hyped and it is hard to be close to other people at that time for me. BUT.. I do it.
In the past two weeks, I have been put on bagging smalls for the full shift. Only maybe a day out of the week, for instance last night.

My heart drops. I DETEST bagging smalls. The only times I felt like saying screw this and walking off the floor and out of the building were the two times I had to bag smalls for a whole shift.

I feel like if I go in tonight and my supe says I am on smalls; I might just say screw it and walk out. I go to my supe at the beginning of the shift to get my unload assignment, so I don't know what I am doing until I get there. Other than the times I have come in and been told I was not on the schedule, being told I am on smalls is the WORST thing ever.

I know this sounds like a stupid stupid question, but for you guys who have worked in a hub and seen or done all the jobs, why on earth do I have this irrational hatred of bagging smalls? Other folks think I am crazy to prefer unloading heavy trucks instead of the relatively "easy" job of bagging smalls. I would much rather unload the whole hub by myself than bag smalls. I don't want to tell my supes I hate smalls because I don't want to seem like a non-team player. I just want to get over this irrational hatred of bagging smalls. I can't do it until I figure out what causes it. Is it the faster pace.. the fact that I am directly responsible for the production of someone else (ie keeping up with the sorter).. or what?

over9five

Staff member
I think that you are right that most people like bagging smalls.

SOOO, why not mention to your sup how you do not like it, and would much rather unload trailers? I would think this would be an easy fix, surely he can send someone to smalls who wants to be there.

Good Luck!

Earion

Nail hit head! My gut "feeling" says punishment detail. But I am not sure if I am just being paranoid or it could be that I am a pawn in some chess game someone else is playing. I don't know the hierarchy well, but it seems like the the line supes don't get along with the head supe too well. The head supe is the one who assigns me to smalls. Sometimes they override each other, one will send me to one place and someone else will send me to another place. I generally defer to the head supe. All the other supes know I don't like smalls and will sometimes get someone else to take my place on smalls if I have been put on it after the unload and after the unload supe has told me to go home. The head supe will generally stop me on the way to my punching out and leaving and send me to smalls. I keep my head down and out of anyone's group or way and just do my job. Also the head supe has indicated he wants me to apply to part time supe position, something I have not done yet.

working up a sweat

I too, hate working smalls. The time goes by so slow and there is little physical exertion. I call small sort, "sissy sort". I would much rather work picking and splitting a belt loading air containers. The time goes by fast. You get to play real live Tetris with all the box shapes, loading cans and interact with other people at the same time. Yes, you work hard. You keep in great shape and have to think, because you must know the various sorts on your belt. I also don't like the unload. I like pulling air cans and loading the planes and trailers. Very dangerous job. One bad move and you can get hurt badly. The physical exertion is a good workout.

Earion

I too, hate working smalls. The time goes by so slow and there is little physical exertion. I call small sort, "sissy sort". I would much rather work picking and splitting a belt loading air containers. The time goes by fast. You get to play real live Tetris with all the box shapes, loading cans and interact with other people at the same time. Yes, you work hard. You keep in great shape and have to think, because you must know the various sorts on your belt. I also don't like the unload. I like pulling air cans and loading the planes and trailers. Very dangerous job. One bad move and you can get hurt badly. The physical exertion is a good workout.

BINGO. You just put the words to how I feel about it. I feel like I have been taken from the big pool to the kiddie pool. Plus the bin I bag is right at the beginning of the small belt and under the sort dump chute. All I see is endless packages, mounds of boxes. Like it will NEVER end. The packages fall around me, fall out the sort chutes, I bang my knuckles on the bins. It feels very inefficient as I bag for one sorter and the other sort bin wall is on the other side of the sorter which is also back to back with the other bagger. So we are ass to ass part of the time. I prefer not being that close to a any female other than my wife. And I don't get the workout I like getting with the unload. Since starting this job, when I take my shirt off at home; my wife has been very nice to me. Fringe benefit I don't want to lose.

rod

Retired 22 years
Are you sure you haven't been hit in the head one too many times unloading? I've never heard of anyone who likes being stuck in a 130 degree trailer unloading.

barnyard

KTM rider
If you do hate it that much and it is working around other people, eat a couple of bowls of Cracklin Oat Bran right before your shift starts. If you think you can do it, eat another at break. The other people working smalls should be begging supes to move you back to a trailer after that.

Earion

If you do hate it that much and it is working around other people, eat a couple of bowls of Cracklin Oat Bran right before your shift starts. If you think you can do it, eat another at break. The other people working smalls should be begging supes to move you back to a trailer after that.

Seriously, that was part of my problem Monday night. Except I was too polite to let it go so by the end of four hours, I had buns of steel just from the clench.

Earion

Are you sure you haven't been hit in the head one too many times unloading? I've never heard of anyone who likes being stuck in a 130 degree trailer unloading.

I work in a cold climate, so I have not experienced summer unloading yet and I mainly unload the package cars. Plus I am from the south and kind of used to the heat.

Earion

It all came for naught as I called off last night. I wonder if Dionne Warwick and her psychic friends network put a bug in my supes ear...

Earion

OH. I thought you unloaded feeders.
I assume feeders is what they call the CPU or CPI? The trailers? I unload those too. I am still getting accustomed to the jargon. I get moved around a bit. It is warmer doing that job as the package lines generally have the bay doors open all night.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Bagging smalls at one time was a skillful job that required meticulous sort knowledge, among other things. Now it's just dumping boxes into a bag with no thought.

I personally prefer being in the unload or sort aisle over bagging smalls, however neither one is really that bad.