Baltimore hiring help

The Baltimore area is hiring temporary delivery drivers. I have applied for the position, went to the hub for the information session on the 13th of April. I have not heard back from anyone yet, is there any way I can follow up and find out if I might get a chance to interview?

JonFrum

You want to subject yourself to all the hard work, long hours, low pay, impossible demands, and endless abuse of being a temporary delivery driver???

"I pity the fool." :happy-very:

JonFrum

The Union Contract requires that for every seven regular drivers hired, six must be by seniority from the existing UPS part-timer ranks. The seventh can be hired from the outside, but any part-time supervisors who want to go full-time driving get first shot at that seventh slot.

As a temporary driver you probably don't accrue seniority, and would have to give up your driving job when the temporary period is over. At that point you may be offered regular part-time (3.5 hours per day) work at $8.50 to $10.00 per hour or so, or you may be laid off. If kept on as a part-timer, it could take several years before you could suscessfully bid into package car driving.

The Union Contract requires that for every seven regular drivers hired, six must be by seniority from the existing UPS part-timer ranks. The seventh can be hired from the outside, but any part-time supervisors who want to go full-time driving get first shot at that seventh slot.

As a temporary driver you probably don't accrue seniority, and would have to give up your driving job when the temporary period is over. At that point you may be offered regular part-time (3.5 hours per day) work at $8.50 to $10.00 per hour or so, or you may be laid off. If kept on as a part-timer, it could take several years before you could suscessfully bid into package car driving.

That was clearly explained at the job description meeting and I feel it is a good if not great opportunity for ME, maybe not for everyone.....the informative meeting I attended had about 30 people at the start and after the position was described over half left

P

pickup

That was clearly explained at the job description meeting and I feel it is a good if not great opportunity for ME, maybe not for everyone.....the informative meeting I attended had about 30 people at the start and after the position was described over half left

Best of luck and make the best of it. Temporary or not, consider it paid training for when a permanent opportunity is in the mix.

i look at it as a foot in the door, i worked as a seasonal helper the winter of '04 and was offered a pt position after the season but didnt take it because i already had a ft offer.........i chose unwisely but i hope the '04 experience counts for something...my driver loved me, had to be his easiest xmas season since i did all the running, he drove and handed me packages and the diad since we had 2, but he isnt in a truck anymore and was out of a different hub

RoyalFlush

One of Them

Major metro areas hire drivers off the street often. They put up the bid list. If there are no part timers interested or qualified, people are hired off the street. I have seen hundreds of drivers hired off the street in a single year.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
there was once a wait of 10 plus years to drive from the hub...there have been lines around the block to get a driving job when ups had a 1 to 1 ratio in the 80's...now it seems nobody wants to do it. The times are a changin'!

JonFrum

UPS probably buys a block of phone numbers in sequence as they do here. Just increase or decrease the last digit or two of the phone number and you will probably get someone in the next office or nearby who can help you or transfer you or you can leave an email address.

Also try the 1-800-Pick-UPS number.

I've tried a few extensions and they will transfer me and I get the extension prior to transfer but no answer on the two extensions I was told are hr..... I'll just keep calling.