Barclays take on UPS (why the world is going to doo doo imo)

Bottom rung

An item cost $48 dollars to ship in 2014. $140 dollars last week. Dim pricing. The company I dealt with told me how its killing their business and people aren't buying the product now due to the shipping cost.

ArcherUTR

Well paid Union labor probably has a lot to do with that. Add on the FedEx "independent contractor" model and I understand why Wall Street loves them.

All we have to is lobby to allow Fed Ex to unionize. And I don't mean UPS doing the lobbying. We, the people have to lobby. They, the people have to lobby. I know that it is a monumental task giving The People's United Supreme Court Decision, but we must push against this extraordinary disparity in wealth, too big to fail corporate bailouts, shareholder's profit margins, and an over-all disparaging ilk with the common worker collective bargaining for a fair wage.

It's in our hands, not theirs. It's just that most of America is over-dumbed and doesn't give a :censored2:.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
No, small manufacturing business. Sheet metal parts.
I was just joking.

If I had to guess the pricing will be restructured on the dim pricing.

What I do find crap is we did this because large shippers (looking at you Amazon) were shipping small things in huge boxes. I'm gonna go on a limb and say they aren't paying hardly anymore because of discounts and the little man gets screwed again.

Returntosender

I was just joking.

If I had to guess the pricing will be restructured on the dim pricing.

What I do find crap is we did this because large shippers (looking at you Amazon) were shipping small things in huge boxes. I'm gonna go on a limb and say they aren't paying hardly anymore because of discounts and the little man gets screwed again.

Even some of the big guys seem not to be shipping also. I haven't seen after market carbon fiber hoods and bumpers on the belts lately. Few GM auto body OEM parts still coming through not as much at before. Grainger 40 gallon garbage cans, Macys comforters boxes absent lately.

Brownslave688

Even some of the big guys seem not to be shipping also. I haven't seen after market carbon fiber hoods and bumpers on the belts lately. Few GM auto body OEM parts still coming through not as much at before. Grainger 40 gallon garbage cans, Macys comforters boxes absent lately.
Good. That stuff never belonged on our trucks in the first place.

Not sure how they are saving any money though. Anything freight is going to be $150 minimum.

Although if I had the choice to pay the same or only slightly more I'd ship freight over normal package any day.

llamainmypocket

Sounds like business as usual and not why the world is going to doo doo. Profits aren't nearly as important as you may think. What you've actually indicated is that ups is winning the race for market share with fedex.

I'll be perfectly honest, profits are dumb. A 10% increase in profit means that you cut some expenses or wrote something off or even had a lucky quarter but a 10% increase in market share means growth.

Any company that drives a profits driven business model in a growth business environment should be slapped in the face.

Brownslave688

Ground picked up one, and another resorted to USPS flat rate.
FedEx is doing dim shipping too. So that won't work out too well.

I call BS on the flate rate. Those are small boxes. They wouldn't is been effected much. sounds like that shipper used it as an excuse.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
This would be like jacking up the prices on generators during an extended weather emergency.

There is a term for that----price gouging.
It's logical that capacity would be more expensive to purchase when there's there's less available. Look up hotel rates in Glendale, AZ this weekend to see this concept in action. The illogical part of the equation is that a new rate structure should have been implemented before spending a fortune to add additional capacity.

llamainmypocket

I've worked in rewrap before and it's surprising how often the wrong size box is used. Sometimes huge boxes are half empty. The kind that go in the walkway. Hopefully the new price structure puts an end to that.