Barking dogs make me barking mad.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Nice history lesson. Still doesn't excuse owners that can't control their dogs.

Depends on what you mean by "control".

If you mean keeping the dog in a fenced area so that it cant run in the street or chase the UPS man, I agree.

If you mean beating and yelling at the dog to shut up every time it makes a noise...I dont.

I had one lady who would yell and scream at her dog to "be quiet" simply because it barked when my truck pulled into the driveway. It was a friendly dog, it wasnt being aggressive, it was just doing what its instincts told it to do. When it wouldnt stop, she started smacking the poor dog with a belt.

Rather than following my first instinct, which was to slap that bitch upside the head...I asked if I could take a moment to pet her dog. She let the dog out....I petted it and gave it a treat and let it jump up in the truck... and then it casually went back inside and laid down. 30 seconds of kindness on my part calmed the dog right down and ever since then it only woofs once or twice to let the lady know I'm there. She then lets it out so that it can come and greet me and get its treat, and life is good.

whiskeyagogo

dogs are the best, plain and simple.

had a neighbor once who called in a noise complaint to the police on another neighbor who's dog barked a lot. He barked a lot because there was a lot of activity on the street. A cop came out, walked up near the fence, and the dog started barking, the cop walked away down the street, and the dog settled down. The cop did this a few times then went to the lady that had called in the complaint and told her "hey, this dog is just doing what dogs are supposed to do". Or as a wise man I know would call it - "Barkus Legitimus"

Amen brother. My dogs bark to when people step on my property, pull into my driveway or otherwise mess around near my house. That is what they are supposed to do, alert me that something is up.

whiskey

The other day i had a headache and while i was delivering it dawned on me that i listen to dogs barking all freaking day long.

Think about it.

You pull up to a house...honk the horn...dog starts barking...neighbors dogs start barking...dogs on the street over start barking.

Then when you go to the front door the dog is attacking the window next to the door doing who knows what kind of damage.

I love the people that have plexiglas front windows because their dogs have broken the glass.

I would be embarrassed if my dog behaved this way.

Have you ever seen the dog that gnaws on the door jam while your on the front porch?

I would love to have some peace and quiet.
I think it's time you bid inside. Those dogs are not going away any time soon.

over9five

Staff member
Thank God I don't have neighbors! I have no problem if someones dog barks when someone enters their driveway or walks on their property.
But some dogs bark when people walk down the street or cars enter a neighbors driveway. If I had neighbors, I wouldn't want to hear their stupid dog barking at people walking down the street, and I don't want their dog barking at my visitors. I really don't want to hear their dog at all!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Nice history lesson. Still doesn't excuse owners that can't control their dogs.

If you mean keeping the dog in a fenced area so that it cant run in the street or chase the UPS man, I agree.

If you mean beating and yelling at the dog to shut up every time it makes a noise...I dont.

I had one lady who would yell and scream at her dog to "be quiet" simply because it barked when my truck pulled into the driveway. It was a friendly dog, it wasnt being aggressive, it was just doing what its instincts told it to do. When it wouldnt stop, she started smacking the poor dog with a belt.

Rather than following my first instinct, which was to slap that bitch upside the head...I asked if I could take a moment to pet her dog. She let the dog out....I petted it and gave it a treat and let it jump up in the truck... and then it casually went back inside and laid down. 30 seconds of kindness on my part calmed the dog right down and ever since then it only woofs once or twice to let the lady know I'm there. She then lets it out so that it can come and greet me and get its treat, and life is good.
Sober, Govols has a very good point, as do you. There are times when I get sooo frustrated with people because they have no control over their dogs. It is very difficult to talk to a customer when their freaking dog won't shut up or when the customer is yelling at the dog to shut up.

My dogs bark, they bark for a reason. I allow that barking up to a point. Sometimes they bark just for the 'pleasure' of barking and that is unneccesary. If they are at the front gate or in the house barking at something they don't need to be barking at then they are told to sit and be quiet. That is exactly what they do. Even if there was someone at the door that is exactly what they would do.

There is NO! reason what so ever to let a dog go absolutely berserk like some do. It's like they go temporarily insane. The owner loses all control over the situation. This is dangerous. This is when alot of bites occur. This is how I was bit both times.

brownrodster

I beat a dog down with my DIAD last year. Homeowner opens the door. Dog is growling and barking and running towards me. Just as his face gets to my leg I slamed the DIAD into his head. He ran away. The homeowner yells at me. Telling me his dog would not have bit me. Whatever.

I hate dogs. always have. When a dog is barking and going insane I want to shoot them.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
Always loved giving the doorbell a few extra rings when dogs were inside shredding the house and no one was home. I certainly don't miss the days of delivery and having some lame-o dog trying to get to me thru a screen door or gate barking its head off. Definitely am not a dog person and wish I could have shot my share of big stinky obnoxious dogs out on route.

NHDRVR

I beat a dog down with my DIAD last year. Homeowner opens the door. Dog is growling and barking and running towards me. Just as his face gets to my leg I slamed the DIAD into his head. He ran away. The homeowner yells at me. Telling me his dog would not have bit me. Whatever.

I hate dogs. always have. When a dog is barking and going insane I want to shoot them.

Shooting the dog or the homeowner....I'd cut you slack either way

under the radar

A Trained Professional
Here is some great fun, and I've done this after getting barked at all stinking day. First, verify that the customer is not home (this is imperative), then run your hands along the picture window that has all of the ceramic doo-dads on the ledge and watch little "Snooky" just totally trash the figurines. If your lucky, they will have some nice sheer curtains for shredding as a bonus. To quote Barney Fife, "It's therapedic."

govols019

You smell that?

A dog that barks incessantly is not under control. It's not my job nor is it my desire to train or give treats to other peoples animals.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
My dad always said "if the dog don't trust em, they aint worth a hoot"
I have found that to be helpful many times in my life.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
A dog that barks incessantly is not under control. It's not my job nor is it my desire to train or give treats to other peoples animals.

I have been on my route for 15 yrs.

When someone gets a new dog, I am going to take a couple of minutes to get to know it and try to make friends with it. I am successful at this about 99.9% of the time. That couple of minutes is a small investment that will pay big dividends in the years to come.

Dogs that know me and like me make my job easier, safer, and more pleasant. Its better for me, better for the customer, better for the dog, and ultimately better for the company.

One of my residential customers is a wealthy man who owns a company that ships a fair amount of volume thru us. He is a dog lover and when I deliver to his home his dogs jump in my truck to be petted. I once found one of his dogs running loose ( the meter reader had left his gate open) and I returned it to him in my truck.

This man has a favorable impression of UPS due, in small part at least, to me and my treatment of his dogs. Will this influence any business decisions he might make at his company in terms of using us vs. FedEx? I dont know, but it sure cant hurt.

UPSmeoff

If you can't open the front door because your dog wont let you, all you are doing is showing the world that you can't control your dag.

Yes, i am judging you.

By the way i love dogs, here's my big sweetie.
4997.jpg