Be a HERO and Help STOP SOPA Now!! I'll tell you How!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by cheryl, Dec 29, 2011.

1. cheryl

cheryl I started this. Staff Member

2. wkmac

wkmac Well-Known Member

So capitalist corporations are asking the gov't to regulate?

NO, Say it ain't so!

Good find Cheryl.

3. trplnkl

trplnkl 555

I placed this on my face book this morning, thanks to Cheryl.

4. brett636

brett636 Well-Known Member

Don't forget its a capitalist corporation that resists changing its business model based on market conditions. It would rather change the market to fit its business model instead.

5. tonyexpress

tonyexpress Whac-A-Troll Patrol Staff Member

Online Piracy and SOPA: Beware of Unintended Consequences

The federal government needs to protect intellectual property rights. But it
    should do so in a way that does not disrupt the growth of technology, does not
    weaken Internet security, respects free speech rights, and solves the problem of
    rogue sites. Congress should carefully consider the consequences of and
    alternatives to the legislation before moving forward.

6. Jones

Jones fILE A GRIEVE! Staff Member

Caught this writeup at a computer hardware site I read:

7. wkmac

wkmac Well-Known Member

Interesting viewpoint on the issue of Intellectual Property Rights or IP for short.

8. cheryl

SOPA: What if Google, Facebook and Twitter Went Offline in Protest? - Time

Can you imagine a world without Google or Facebook? If plans to protest the potential passing of the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) come to fruition, you won’t need to; those sites, along with many other well-known online destinations, will go temporarily offline as a taste of what we could expect from a post-SOPA Internet.

Companies including Google, Facebook, Twitter, PayPal, Yahoo! and Wikipedia are said to be discussing a coordinated blackout of services to demonstrate the potential effect SOPA would have on the Internet, something already being called a “nuclear option” of protesting. The rumors surrounding the potential blackout were only strengthened by Markham Erickson, executive director of trade association NetCoalition, who told FoxNews that “a number of companies have had discussions about [blacking out services]” last week.

9. Baba gounj

Baba gounj pensioner

If they did black out services , I would expect to see hoards of crying addicts in the streets.

10. cheryl

11. Baba gounj

Baba gounj pensioner

OOV May Join Wikipedia & Others in ‘Internet Blackout’

12. tonyexpress

tonyexpress Whac-A-Troll Patrol Staff Member

13. cheryl

14. wkmac

wkmac Well-Known Member

15. cheryl

Spot on... I hope everyone takes the time to watch this.

16. moreluck

moreluck golden ticket member

17. The Other Side

The Other Side Well-Known Troll Troll

18. moreluck

moreluck golden ticket member

You are assuming I wrote that article.......contact the author if you have a question.

19. The Other Side

The Other Side Well-Known Troll Troll

Im contacting you, you were the messenger of the story.

Peace.

20. klein

klein Für Meno :)

Were SOPA/PIPA Protests a Success? The Results Are In

Wednesday's online protests against two online antipiracy bills currently before Congress are being hailed as a success after sites such as BoingBoing, Reddit and Wikipedia temporarily shut down to oppose the Stop Online Piracy (SOPA) and Protect IP (PIPA) Acts. As a result, more than 162 million people saw the protest message on Wikipedia, 18 senators have backed away from the proposed legislation, and 4.5 million people signed a petition against the acts.

SOPA sponsor and Chair of the House Judiciary Committee Lamar Smith (R-Tex.) recently vowed to continue working to get the antipiracy legislation passed.

The next Senate vote for PIPA is scheduled for January 24.