Be careful who you give your cell phone number

tieguy

Banned
This happened in on of the Baltimore centers this week:

Drug pusher expecting package calls our driver.

Driver confirms he has a package for drug pusher.

Driver arrives at drug pushers residence with the delivery just as the police are busting the drug pusher.

Police check drug pushers phone and see that he had just called our driver.

Police get drug delivery

Police arrest our driver.

While there may be more to the story then I currently have I think you have to assume the police at least suspect our driver due to the phone call.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Please let us know about the "rest of the story". I think most drivers with any common sense can spot a alcoholic, druggie, flim flam man without to much trouble.

NI1

why would I give my phone number to my customers? The company doesnt pay for my min. why would I use it for work?

over9five

Staff member
Police check drug pushers phone and see that he had just called our driver.

Police get drug delivery

Police arrest our driver.

I think that sounds pretty weak. The drivers lawyer must have had him released in about one minute. UPS drivers everywhere give out their cell to customers all the time. Many residential customers like to call to see if driver has their package/what time he'll be there, etc.

Tiny Panda

Half of my regulars have my number and vice versa, if i'm running late or something i'll give em a bell to make sure they will be home etc or if they need something urgent they ring me to see if i can get it to them earlier or can come and meet me somewhere in town to collect it.
Makes my job easier and helps them out too.

8up

why would I give my phone number to my customers? The company doesnt pay for my min. why would I use it for work?

why would I? because I'm that friendly, helpful, & plays well with others UPSer.

maybe that's why I get the "employee" discount, free soda from the breakroom, invited to the occassional celebration and annual Thanksgiving lunches, great Christmas gifts and even a thank you card.

Re-Raise

I deliver to a rural area with about 5 small towns. I grew up in the area and built a house on my family's farm. I get calls all the time and have no problem with it. If someone doesn't have my number it would be easy to find someone who does.

That being said I try not to get too close to some of the customers. My route before this one was a town with a growing Hispanic population. I was on a first name basis with many of them.

One guy I knew to be a borderline criminal used to get NDA packages COD on a regular basis. He would sometimes track me down and pay for the packages. This was when we still took cash. One day it was like $850 and he hands me $1000 and says here you keep the change. I said hold on brother you gave me a hundred too much and I have change for the rest. I felt it was some kind of hush money.

I told management and we checked his packages after that. He was receiving gold chains from Mexico. Not long after that a local was killed in a tavern by a Hispanic. The shooter was taken to Mexico by gold chain guy and neither of them were ever extradited.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I don't need to give out my phone number. My mgmnt team uses all the expensive technology to dispatch me perfectly everyday. I always cover the same area and I am at the same stops everyday within minutes.

tieguy

Banned
I think that sounds pretty weak. The drivers lawyer must have had him released in about one minute. UPS drivers everywhere give out their cell to customers all the time. Many residential customers like to call to see if driver has their package/what time he'll be there, etc.

I have not gotten a confirmation yet. His manager is out for a couple of days getting a medical procedure done. But at this point it sounds like the police think our driver was helping the pusher or is in cahoots with him.

rumor has it the pusher had the cell phone number of 5 other drivers too. Not sure if thier getting questioned.

NI1

why would I? because I'm that friendly, helpful, & plays well with others UPSer.

maybe that's why I get the "employee" discount, free soda from the breakroom, invited to the occassional celebration and annual Thanksgiving lunches, great Christmas gifts and even a thank you card.

I dont need to give them my number to get whatever you mentioned. I get them even without me giving my number. When it comes to ups business they can call the center and tell the center to send me an ods (ups expense) if they want me to do a pick up or something

tieguy

Banned
I dont need to give them my number to get whatever you mentioned. I get them even without me giving my number. When it comes to ups business they can call the center and tell the center to send me an ods (ups expense) if they want me to do a pick up or something

I have to say you sound like a complete stick in the mud.

I do agree that in most cases you don't need to give it out. There are a lot of drivers who give thier number out to certain shippers for various reasons but overall to foster a good working relationship with the customer. It comes from thier personal committment to taking care of the customer. They often find that relationship they develop also benifits them in ways that may make thier job easier. A customer who calls you and tells you he is not shipping anything today or needs a few more minutes on his pickup can make your job easier.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I do agree that in most cases you don't need to give it out. There are a lot of drivers who give thier number out to certain shippers for various reasons but overall to foster a good working relationship with the customer. It comes from thier personal committment to taking care of the customer. They often find that relationship they develop also benifits them in ways that may make thier job easier. A customer who calls you and tells you he is not shipping anything today or needs a few more minutes on his pickup can make your job easier.
Tie made a lot of good points. I also use mine to find bad addresses if a phone number is on the label. I keep these conversations very brief, I use few of my minutes.