Beating letter boxes.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Ups has million dollar satalites with this stuff. If your board starts beeping because its not where you say you are DONT DO IT ! . Ive been fired for that, but got my job back. It sets off a RED FLAG for mgt to see. If anything just scan it and stop complete early. If you get heat for that from mgt, then wait there untill the proper pick up time.

First off, you cannot complete the stop early unless you manually overrride the prompt. The DIAD does not beep if you complete a pickup, whether daily, OCA, or drop box, away from the pickup location.

It's very simple. You can scan the drop box at any time but you must complete the stop at or after the commit time in the DIAD at the drop box location.

The only time that this will be an issue is if a customer who tried to use the drop box but couldn't because it was picked up too early calls in a concern; other than that, the company is not going to compare drop box stop times with where you were when you completed the stop.

On a side note, I was wrong earlier when I said that drop boxes have a +/- 15 minute pickup window. They do not.

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
On a side note, I was wrong earlier when I said that drop boxes have a +/- 15 minute pickup window. They do not.

:surprised:This is news to me. I do not pick up drop boxes often, and assumed they shared the same +/- 15 minute time window as other scheduled pickups.

At least I can recite the ten point commentary! :wink2:

UpsguyDGAF

All im saying is be there when you stop complete wheather your early or not or have a backup plan such as " I asked my on road sup and he said it was ok" just cover your a@@ at all times

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
The only time that this will be an issue is if a customer who tried to use the drop box but couldn't because it was picked up too early calls in a concern; other than that, the company is not going to compare drop box stop times with where you were when you completed the stop.
To the contrary old friend, Loss prevention has plenty of time to build a case against you for dishonesty without a customer calling in with a complaint.

Bottom line is this. A customer uses a drop box because he as a late package going out that needs a late pickup. Mostly it is NDA. They depend on us/you living up to the promise on the box, that we will pick up the package after the time posted on the box. When you break that promise, you not only set yourself up for termination, but you also fail the customer's expectation.

We had a drop box that was set at 6:30. AT one time, 30 letters a day or more. But because of dishonest employees and management that allowed them to get by with it, the volume was diverted to FedEx, and eventually the box was removed. The drivers were happy.

But what was the cost?

Dill, a driver that is fired for dishonesty can not get unemployment.

d

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

To the contrary old friend, Loss prevention has plenty of time to build a case against you for dishonesty without a customer calling in with a complaint.

Bottom line is this. A customer uses a drop box because he as a late package going out that needs a late pickup. Mostly it is NDA. They depend on us/you living up to the promise on the box, that we will pick up the package after the time posted on the box. When you break that promise, you not only set yourself up for termination, but you also fail the customer's expectation.

We had a drop box that was set at 6:30. AT one time, 30 letters a day or more. But because of dishonest employees and management that allowed them to get by with it, the volume was diverted to FedEx, and eventually the box was removed. The drivers were happy.

But what was the cost?

d

Danny, you quoted me out of context. Had you quoted the entire post you would have seen that I do not advocate picking drop boxes up early. We are paid good money to sit there and wait. I stated that it doesn't matter when you scan the drop box code as long as you are at the drop box when you scan and complete the stop. I do disagree with you one one point--if I am done a bit early I am not going to sit at the drop box beyond the pickup time on the box just to make sure that there are no stragglers. We put a time on the box for a reason.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Danny, you quoted me out of context. Had you quoted the entire post you would have seen that I do not advocate picking drop boxes up early. We are paid good money to sit there and wait. I stated that it doesn't matter when you scan the drop box code as long as you are at the drop box when you scan and complete the stop. I do disagree with you one one point--if I am done a bit early I am not going to sit at the drop box beyond the pickup time on the box just to make sure that there are no stragglers. We put a time on the box for a reason.

Then why not scan the box at that time as well.
See, the "black and white" as you put it, is there to protect you as well as the company.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Then why not scan the box at that time as well.
See, the "black and white" as you put it, is there to protect you as well as the company.

I have 5 drop boxes with commit times starting at 1645 through 1730. I usually end up sitting at the 1730 box for a few minutes so I scan the box when I get there, scan the ASD's or RS's of the packages that I picked up at that box and then stop complete at 1730 while still parked at the drop box. danny is suggesting that I should sit until at least 1735--that's not going to happen, especially since I have my 3 heaviest pickups still left to close out. The pickup time is on the box for a reason--not my problem if people can't read.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Bubble was suggesting waiting until the pick up time to scan the box. Where is your reply to that? You remind me more and more of TOS.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Bubble was suggesting waiting until the pick up time to scan the box. Where is your reply to that? You remind me more and more of TOS.

I did respond to that. As long as you are at the drop box location when you scan the box and remain at the drop box location when you complete the stop it doesn't matter when you scan the barcode. Suppose I have 10-20 pkgs in that box--you want me to wait until the commit time on the box to scan the box and then scan those 10-20 pkgs? What sense does that make? Scan it when you get there, scan the pkgs, complete the stop while still at the drop box and then on to the next. This is the way that I was taught to do drop box pickups and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. I scan the barcode, scan the pkgs and complete the stop while being less than 50' from the drop box, usually within 10'. If someone coming to use the drop box sees the PICKED UP flag they will bring their package to me as I am sitting right there. If I happen to glance away from the box I will then re-check it before leaving to make sure no one snuck one in on me.

If I have time I will also scan all of the ARS/RS/ASD's that I picked up during the day while at one of my drop boxes.

Work smarter, not harder.

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I did respond to that. As long as you are at the drop box location when you scan the box and remain at the drop box location when you complete the stop it doesn't matter when you scan the barcode. Suppose I have 10-20 pkgs in that box--you want me to wait until the commit time on the box to scan the box and then scan those 10-20 pkgs? What sense does that make? Scan it when you get there, scan the pkgs, complete the stop while still at the drop box and then on to the next. This is the way that I was taught to do drop box pickups and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. I scan the barcode, scan the pkgs and complete the stop while being less than 50' from the drop box, usually within 10'. If someone coming to use the drop box sees the PICKED UP flag they will bring their package to me as I am sitting right there. If I happen to glance away from the box I will then re-check it before leaving to make sure no one snuck one in on me.

If I have time I will also scan all of the ARS/RS/ASD's that I picked up during the day while at one of my drop boxes.

Do all of that while your waiting. Then scan the bar code. Problem solved Nancy.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Do all of that while your waiting. Then scan the bar code. Problem solved Nancy.

You can't scan any packages until you have scanned the drop box barcode.

Got to my 1645 drop box at 1632. Scanned barcode, no packages to pickup, scanned 55 RS/ARS's, closed out stop at 1645.

With as much time in as you have are you telling me you have never picked up a drop box?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Well well well, what to do. Leave the post alone and let it stand with the famous NYspin, or again, as so many times in the past, correct someone that has a serious problem with comprehension of what he has been told or what he has read. And for those who dont have the hutspah to read more than a snippit, sorry.

It doesn't matter when you scan the barcode just as long as you are at the location when you stop complete the box. There are drivers who will either scan the box early and stop complete it elsewhere or will write down the barcodes, key enter them and stop complete them elsewhere.
Why would they go through the trouble to write down the barcodes, or key enter then later and hit stop complete, if the only time that registers is when you hit stop complete?
It doesn't matter when you scan the barcode--it only matters that you complete the pickup at or after the commit time while you are at the drop box. ....
Another famous truth according to NYspin.....
ups2000, as you know we have a +/- 15 min window on pickups, which includes drop boxes. The regular driver may have the commit time at 1820 because that is when he knows he will be in that area.
Another truth per NYspin, following the better than thou "as you know" you poor stupid poor man.......
Dilli is right--the time on the box is only important for the customer--it is the time in the pickup log that we concern ourselves with. If you pick it up at 1600, even though the box does say 1600, are you over riding the "are you sure want to complete pickup" prompt? As Dilli said, this will show up on a report and you will be asked about it the following day.
Alas, again, truth as only NYspin can make up. Really? the time is only important to the customer? Who put the time on the box, the customer? Or was it UPS? IF UPS, then it must be important to someone higher up than your paygrade, dont you think? OR do you really believe that someone abitrarily came along and just for :censored2: and giggles decided that 6:45 would be the time? The time in the pick up log should match the time on the box, if not, it is a center management problem. That should be the least of your concern. The larger concern should be to take care of the customer.
It's very simple. You can scan the drop box at any time but you must complete the stop at or after the commit time in the DIAD at the drop box location.

What, no "Im sure you would know"?.....
Originally Posted by dannyboy

But what was the cost?

d
I never said you advocated picking them up early, only scanning them early. What I was addressing was your statement that UPS would not even look back into a drivers record of picking up a box early unless a customer called in a complaint. That just is not so. LP many times does audits on drivers without a customer complaint to touch off the problem.
I have 5 drop boxes with commit times starting at 1645 through 1730. I usually end up sitting at the 1730 box for a few minutes so I scan the box when I get there, scan the ASD's or RS's of the packages that I picked up at that box and then stop complete at 1730 while still parked at the drop box. danny is suggesting that I should sit until at least 1735--that's not going to happen, especially since I have my 3 heaviest pickups still left to close out. The pickup time is on the box for a reason--not my problem if people can't read.
Really, now where did I say wait an extra 5 minutes? BUt then again, you choose to read what you want into any post, dont you? In the case I spoke about, they picked it up as early as 4:30 on some days. It was the unreliability of the pickup time that cost us thousands of lost revenue.

Funny, I was taught differently, I was taught to wait until just after the time on the box, scan it, then scan the packages. Then hit stop complete, all while there at the box. BUt no, you will break with your training to "work smarter, not harder" per your NYspin. You are instructed to scan all packages as you deliver and pick them up. Asd, ARS, RS at the place you picked them up, not when you feel good and dang ready to. BUt again, you enjoy doing things your own way, not the ups way.....
You can't scan any packages until you have scanned the drop box barcode.
Got to my 1645 drop box at 1632. Scanned barcode, no packages to pickup, scanned 55 RS/ARS's, closed out stop at 1645.
With as much time in as you have are you telling me you have never picked up a drop box?
So now you are admitting falsifying your pickup record? AFter all, those 55 RS,ARS packages were not in or on the box, were they? So you falsify records, and that makes you smarter than the rest of the drivers?
You were trained differently. But you choose to reflect on that training with the self-rightous spin you so love to share. And as with the "dont you know" that you have +-15 minutes on drop boxes, you are very wrong on a lot of issues. But some things never change.

d

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Wow...that is a whole lot of drivel from someone who builds fish ponds for a living.

I will simplify if just for you so that even you can understand this. Say the drop box has a pickup time of 1730. We are paid to pickup the box no earlier than 1730. That does not mean we are not allowed to scan the barcode prior to 1730--it means we cannot complete the stop until 1730 or later. With GPS you would have to be a fool to complete the stop away from the location just to save a few minutes. There is nothing wrong with scanning the barcode and the packages picked up while sitting at the drop box prior to the pickup time. I position my vehicle so that I can see the box at all times so if a customer does come to the box I will go out there and accept the package from them. When the DIAD says 1730 I will complete the stop and go on to the next.

I really don't see what part of this you do not understand.

As for the ARS/RS/ASD's that I pick up throughout the day, this is how I have been instructed to record them by my center team. We are not allowed to use unscheduled pickup in my center--we are told to add them to a scheduled pickup stop.

I used to respect your opinion--not any more.

Dave

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Dearest Dave

Wow...that is a whole lot of drivel from someone who builds fish ponds for a living.
Spoken with true authority. The king of dribble. Especially with someone with so many posts that are relevent how? You forget, I was pushing boxes when you were still in diapers.......

In this age of terrorism, you really believe that UPS is going to state they trained you like you claim, or will they produce a manual that shows you are to scan each package at where you left it, or picked it up. Its called a paper trail. And I believe in covering ones backside, because UPS will throw you under the bus in a NY second.

I was trained, as were many others, that you scan the packages when you are given the package. You dont have to put in an unscheduled stop.

You keep claiming that its where you hit stop complete that counts. Why not do it the proper way, and quit dancing to your tune. You were or should have been trained to do the job right. As you post, they pay you very very well to do it. So quit your dancing the legaleeze crap, do the job the right way, not Daves way. Because its not smarter.

As far as your fallen respect for me, I am sure I will find some way to deal with it.

best

d

DorkHead

I will simplify if just for you so that even you can understand this. Say the drop box has a pickup time of 1730. We are paid to pickup the box no earlier than 1730. That does not mean we are not allowed to scan the barcode prior to 1730--it means we cannot complete the stop until 1730 or later. With GPS you would have to be a fool to complete the stop away from the location just to save a few minutes. There is nothing wrong with scanning the barcode and the packages picked up while sitting at the drop box prior to the pickup time. I position my vehicle so that I can see the box at all times so if a customer does come to the box I will go out there and accept the package from them. When the DIAD says 1730 I will complete the stop and go on to the next.

I really don't see what part of this you do not understand.

As for the ARS/RS/ASD's that I pick up throughout the day, this is how I have been instructed to record them by my center team. We are not allowed to use unscheduled pickup in my center--we are told to add them to a scheduled pickup stop.

I used to respect your opinion--not any more.

Dave

Dave, then your center team is wrong and I believe we have touched on this subject before. Saving your RS,ARS,ASD`s and recording them all at your dropbox IS falsifying your records. They are to be put under special counts when received. If your center team is telling you to do it like you are doing, it is possible they want the inflated numbers to justify a DropBox at that location. You may be working as directed, but it still is wrong.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Danny, there is nothing wrong with the way that I pickup drop boxes. I have never had a concern or complaint over a missed or early drop box pickup. I complete the stop at the drop box. GPS shows me at the drop box location when the stop is completed.

Customers hand me packages all day long. I segregate them and then collectively add them to a scheduled pickup stop, which is the way my center wants us to do it. I choose to add them to a drop box but I could just as easily add them to my UPS Store pickup. We aren't allowed to use unscheduled pickup in my center. Most of the guys in my center just throw the ASD/RS/ARS in with the pickups and don't scan them or add them to a pickup stop.

Your opinion of the way that I do my job matters little to me so don't waste your time posting it.

Dave.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Dearest Dave

ITs not my opinion sweetheart, its the way we are trained. You scan what you deliver and recieve when you handle the package. JUst because "most of the guys" so something does not make it the right way. And just because you choose to add them to the drop box, or UPS store does not make it right. Do the right thing. Show what you do during the day, as you do it. That way there wont be no splainin to do.

As far as my wasted time, you lead the way old friend.

best

d