Beck Law

RealPerson

The Union can't use dues monies for political purposes.... it's illegal.

They can only use voluntary contributions.... thats what DRIVE money is for.

Every Local is audited by the IBT every 5 years.

Another agent in my Local, had to make restitution.... for over-tipping on a cup of coffee.

It's no joke.

Read the back pages, of the Teamster magazine.

-Bug-

Maybe by Political, they might mean political issues between UPS and the Union. Not always Dem / Repub

I am NOT happy with being mailed very costly mailing, DVD's, Pamphlets, so on from DUES. I can almost bet this was NOT Drive Money.

C

chuchu

This TA has stirred up a great amount of animosity in certain regions.

If you aren't happy with your local's representation and you don't have the amount of UPS members to vote them out, it's very frustrating for those members.

It seems that some locals are happy with their BAs and some aren't and posting that here is venting.The situation is different for each person and everyone must make their own mind up about what they are going to do about it.

Lumping the whole IBT leadership from the top down into one pile isn't fair but is a temptation if you feel you got ripped off on this TA and posting without other action to fix what you feel is broken is not effective.

C

chuchu

If you are happy with your representation and the contracts they negotiate members rarely pay attention to how much hotel rooms cost at the JAC etc.

If you feel that you aren't getting what you are paying for, that's when the microscope comes out.

Stonefish

Whether you agree with the way they use our dues money in political arenas, this happens in every company. What if you are a UPS sup and you don't approve of the way they lobby Congress? Because they do.

BTW, our union, with Hoffa as the president alines itself--and US--with UPS more than anything else. We endorsed Obama, but for what? The union opposed, for the most part, Obamacare.
Romney doesn't believe in unions

Ouch

You're never going to make everybody happy. Its impossible get every employee to agree with the way their local is run. The thing that kills me is like ive said a hundred times. DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! Their is always something you can improve. For the life of me I cant figure out why people want to complain about it but do nothing to fix what they are dissatisfied with. You come on here and try and stir the pot. How many union meetings have you attended? How many conversations have you had with your stewards? How many meetings have you set up with your BA? Something tells me you have not exhausted all your means to know as much about your union as you possibly can. You do realize you would not make the money you make if it weren't for your negotiated contract. You do realize you would not have the benefits you have if it werent for the union. Now because your unhappy about something you obviously have no idea about your ready to jump ship. Get yourself informed about your union. Be a solution not the problem.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Romney doesn't believe in unions

I know. I'm just saying as a liberal guy, the Democrats have left us behind too. There is no way I could ever vote for a Republican, because the blood that runs through them is violently opposed to any form of unions. That's corporate blood there.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Maybe by Political, they might mean political issues between UPS and the Union. Not always Dem / Repub

I am NOT happy with being mailed very costly mailing, DVD's, Pamphlets, so on from DUES. I can almost bet this was NOT Drive Money.

There is a distinct difference.... in the mailings you receive from the IBT or your Local.

If it is political.... it's paid for by monies from DRIVE.

If it is related to the UPS Contract negotiations, that's from dues money....

Which is totally permissible.

If I might suggest.... get a copy of the IBT constitution, and your Locals bylaws.

And.... attend your Locals monthly meetings. Ask all the questions you want.

I know. I'm just saying as a liberal guy, the Democrats have left us behind too. There is no way I could ever vote for a Republican, because the blood that runs through them is violently opposed to any form of unions. That's corporate blood there.

Anyone.... who thinks we are getting screwed on this contract....

Imagine, what would have happened.... if (UPS's boy) Romney got elected.

-
Bug-

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Anyone.... who thinks we are getting screwed on this contract....
Imagine, what would have happened.... if (UPS's boy) Romney got elected.

Most of my views tend to be moderate, but the Republican party hails Ronald Reagan as a hero for his union-busting tactics, which they feel lead to the return of corporate profits to their um, rightful owners. (Of course, Reagan BELIEVED in organized labor, but that's certainly not his legacy). Then we have drivers earning $90K alongside among the most generous no-cost healthcare benefits & pensions -- the emblem of the unions the right-wings so despises -- but think they're somehow an exception to this culture.

Considering that right-wing courts are among the greatest challenge to organized labor today (re: FedEx Ground rulings, which overturn 100+ years of history), ya think life would be better had McCain and Romney continued to put their guys in??

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Im a beck memeber and it seems misrepresented here. Im in a right to work state and i chose to join and pay union dues but as a beck member the portion that would be spent on politics i do not pay. I pay for collective bargaining, representation, arbitration, strike funds etc. its not half as much more like i pay 90% (each local is different). I chose to join then ibt becuase i believe that the collective bargaining and representstion is what maked this job what it is and being a scab is ignorant to take advantage of benifits and not pay in.
Reason i am a beck memeber... You may disagree with my positions but do you really feel that i should be forced to have my money spent on things that i strongly oppose?

There are many reasons i disagree with democrats but primary is i will not have the blood of unborn babies on my hands by having my money go to abortionist democrats. Not going to happen.

Second i do not need my dues being spent to endorse democrats who will spend and tax even more and take even more of my money through taxes.

outside of some very narrow politics (perhaps getting fedex under same labor rules things like that) i think the ibt should concentrate on labor issues and enforcing contracts!

Elvis i get s ballot to vote on everything may be different cause im in a right to work state
I didn't agree with our government going to war with Iraq.
Should I be able to pay less taxes since I don't want my tax dollars to pay for that war?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The Republican party hails Ronald Reagan as a hero for his union-busting tactics, which they feel lead to the return of corporate profits to their um, rightful owners. (Of course, Reagan BELIEVED in organized labor, but that's certainly not his legacy).

Which is really ironic....

Being.... that he is a former President of the Screen Actors Guild. (a Union)

SAG president

Television star Ronald Reagan as the host of General Electric Theater

Reagan was first elected to the Board of Directors of the Screen Actors Guild in 1941, serving as an alternate. Following World War II, he resumed service and became 3rd vice-president in 1946.[43] The adoption of conflict-of-interest bylaws in 1947 led the SAG president and six board members to resign; Reagan was nominated in a special election for the position of president and subsequently elected.[43] He was subsequently chosen by the membership to serve seven additional one-year terms, from 1947 to 1952 and in 1959.[43] Reagan led SAG through eventful years that were marked by labor-management disputes, the Taft-Hartley Act,House Committee on Un-American Activities (HUAC) hearings and the Hollywood blacklist era.[43]

-Bug-

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

SAG president

Reagan was first elected to the Board of Directors of the Screen Actors Guild in 1941, serving as an alternate. Following World War II, he resumed service and became 3rd vice-president in 1946.[43] The adoption of conflict-of-interest bylaws in 1947 led the SAG president and six board members to resign; Reagan was nominated in a special election for the position of president and subsequently elected.[43] He was subsequently chosen by the membership to serve seven additional one-year terms, from 1947 to 1952 and in 1959.[43] Reagan led SAG through eventful years that were marked by labor-management disputes, the Taft-Hartley Act,House Committee on Un-American Activities (HUAC) hearings and the Hollywood blacklist era.[43]

-Bug-

My uncle was involved in the PATCO strike when Reagan broke the union there. Many labor historians point to that event as the watershed moment in labor's decline from its peak in the 1950's/1960's and that sonuvabitch light bulb salesman was the one that made it happen.

Real wages have only declined since the 1980's and Reagan was partially behind it.

Stonefish

You're never going to make everybody happy. Its impossible get every employee to agree with the way their local is run. The thing that kills me is like ive said a hundred times. DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! Their is always something you can improve. For the life of me I cant figure out why people want to complain about it but do nothing to fix what they are dissatisfied with. You come on here and try and stir the pot. How many union meetings have you attended? How many conversations have you had with your stewards? How many meetings have you set up with your BA? Something tells me you have not exhausted all your means to know as much about your union as you possibly can. You do realize you would not make the money you make if it weren't for your negotiated contract. You do realize you would not have the benefits you have if it werent for the union. Now because your unhappy about something you obviously have no idea about your ready to jump ship. Get yourself informed about your union. Be a solution not the problem.
You are again right. Do something about it. Don't sit on your hands and complain.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would like to share just one example of the way in which my union local wastes money. We have a union bulletin board in our building but rather than mail one copy of any union correspondence to our shop steward to be posted they insist upon mailing a copy to every single union member. We are having a vote on Wednesday on whether or not to divert the last of our split raises in the yet-to-be-ratified contract to our pension fund. The mailing was two pages----the first was a letter explaining the reason for the vote and the second was a sample ballot. Our union local represents 3 centers and has 400-500 UPS members. The mailing probably cost about $1K including postage, copying and the time to assemble. There was a similar mailing in the fall regarding our free flu shots----again, this information could have been posted for all to see.

Dracula

SAG president

-Bug-

Or even more ironic--and sad--was when our union president, Jackie Presser, endorsed that schmuck, Reagan.

That one hurt.

Dracula

I would like to share just one example of the way in which my union local wastes money. We have a union bulletin board in our building but rather than mail one copy of any union correspondence to our shop steward to be posted they insist upon mailing a copy to every single union member. We are having a vote on Wednesday on whether or not to divert the last of our split raises in the yet-to-be-ratified contract to our pension fund. The mailing was two pages----the first was a letter explaining the reason for the vote and the second was a sample ballot. Our union local represents 3 centers and has 400-500 UPS members. The mailing probably cost about $1K including postage, copying and the time to assemble. There was a similar mailing in the fall regarding our free flu shots----again, this information could have been posted for all to see.

Then attend a meeting, air your view. That is why you pay dues. Nothing gets accomplished by bitching to other drivers before your start time.

If it did, many of our spouses would magically be different when we got home at night.

oldngray

nowhere special
Then attend a meeting, air your view. That is why you pay dues. Nothing gets accomplished by bitching to other drivers before your start time.

If it did, many of our spouses would magically be different when we got home at night.

You could go home to someone else's spouse.

over9five

Staff member
You're a fool if you believe there's any difference whatsoever between Democrats and Republicans. They both hate us equally because of the power we have AND the money we make. Let's never forget THE most anti-union legislation EVER was put into law by a back-stabbing Democrat President (NAFTA).

Dracula

You're a fool if you believe there's any difference whatsoever between Democrats and Republicans. They both hate us equally because of the power we have AND the money we make. Let's never forget THE most anti-union legislation EVER was put into law by a back-stabbing Democrat President (NAFTA).

Forever will I be a liberal. Not sure, exactly, what that means anymore, except that I'm not represented in Congress.

Even liberal, though, doesn't accurately describe me. I have many libertarian views too.

At the end of the day, I choose to vote for my livelihood. This country has a completely broken government. When politicians only care about re-election, and the only way to make that happen is to collect as much money as possible, promises become thin as onion skin. Promises from ANY politician start changing the minute they leave the room.

If Obama would have lived up to his word, Bush JR. and his flunkey Vice President would have faced war crime charges; instead, Obama double downed on horrible policies, to the point where the NSA's stated mission is to monitor EVERYTHING we do or say on the internet and our phones.

And the worst thing? These are the people on our side.

What, am I supposed to vote Republican? Please. Republicans make no secret that union people like us are the clear enemy. Just like Reagan, they would declare a loud victory if they could break our union, drastically cut our wages and benefits. No thanks, partner.

Sorry, I'll vote for the people who have my interests at heart, even if I can't stand them. Like the old bumper sticker said, working people voting for Republicans is like chicken voting for Col. Sanders.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!

You're a fool if you believe this.

NAFTA was a product of the Bush Administration, although Clinton signed it into law. There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with free trade, and hundreds of such agreements have been signed since. The problem is when free trade agreements allow raw materials from the USA to be shipped into Mexico, produced, then shipped back to the USA free of tariffs. NAFTA was never designed to OK this... but your right-wing friendly courts disagreed.