Become a UPS driver or sheriff deputy in Los Angeles

clean hairy

One thought is at some point if you have Family in another state, or would just like move to another region of the country, it is more easily done as Law Enforcement than with UPS.

browntroll

why not go through training as a part timer and see if you like it or not? if Law enforcement is ur calling then go for it.
my brother knows a few cops that have 2 jobs, one does 4 days as a sheriff and works a part time job also as a security guard.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
I've been working part time as a package handler for about 8 years and should be making a transition to becoming a UPS driver at any time but at the same time I went through the LA county sheriff trainee selection process for past one year and just received a call from the sheriff's department that I passed the selection process and that my 5 months training at the sheriff's academy starts on September to become a sheriff deputy. I really want to do both but I have to choose one as my life time career and give up the other forever. It's very hard decision to make. Any advice or opinions?
Well, if you always wanted to be a cop, then be a cop. If you go driving, you'd be making good money but kicking yourself 10 years from now because you didn't chase the dream.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
It's a toss up really. You could be a badass zombie apocalypse killer in training. On the other hand, how many UPS driver zombies have you seen? Maybe it's because we already fit in, glazed eyes, same motions over and over, and the scent after a nice summer day.

El Correcto

god is dead
Be a dirty cop and put the squeeze on criminals you'll make way more than us and be part of the biggest criminal organization there is. The us government.

Travwise

Congrats to you for having options. It's a good problem to have. I left law enforcement after 10 years, chasing the money and benefits at UPS (off street hire). I can tell you it was the worst decision I've ever made. Regret it daily. Somehow working M-friend I see my family less than I did working rotating 11 hour shifts and every other weekend. I don't know man I don't have answer per se but follow your heart. I will not be laying on my death bed thankful for all the money I made, I'll be regretting spending 30 years of my life at UPS serving no purpose. UPS could be a great place to work but it's not. The reason we make what we do is because no one would do it for less. Good luck brother!

trickpony1

Does it mention anything about "conflicting instructions" and "double bind stress" (damned if you do and damned if you don't) causing anxiety and depression in drivers?

Thanks.

Signhere

Does it mention anything about "conflicting instructions" and "double bind stress" (damned if you do and damned if you don't) causing anxiety and depression in drivers?

Thanks.
Short answer YES. IN the top 9% of the population with police and postal workers. Long answer below from study.

These workers, therefore, have stress related symptomatology that place them in the top 9 percent of the general population for psychological distress.

Dr. Cahill reported that these employees suffered higher levels of psychological job demands, lower levels of supervisory support, higher level of sleeping problems.

UPS Package Truck Drivers were reported to be working in conditions quite similar to those previously associated with the development of stress related diseases. They were reported to be suffering a variety of symptoms and diseases quite possible related to stress, as well as experiencing a "burn out" phenomena after a period of years on the job.

The drivers reported that there existed a punitive rather than collaborative approach by front line supervisors. There was daily supervisory pressure for increased productivity through longer days, working through lunch, stressful supervisory presence in the truck on the routes, and pressure on replacement workers to outperform those on sick leave or vacation. They complained about conflicting expectations emanation from differing supervisors, and a disciplinary system in which, even for minor infractions, they were "judged guilty, and sentenced, before trail" and before arbitration of their grievance. Finally, they reported a stressful social environment at work fostered by a lack of social support from supervisory personnel

CONCLUSIONS: Job stress is a significant health hazard for UPS Package Truck Drivers. These workers scored in the top 91% of the population on the Global Stress Index. These symptoms are consistent with the higher scores on the job strain scale and higher levels of physical and psychological stress reported by Dr. Janet Cahill in her 1990 survey of Postal Workers.
Job characteristics known to cause stress, and similar to those found at the UPS Service, are present in significantly greater frequency for UPS Package Truck Drivers than for the general working population.

The costs associated with this occupational hazard will be measured by decreases in the quality of life for the employees and their families as well as likely increased workers compensation and health insurance/disability costs to the employer and the society as a whole. . When Package Truck Drivers are looked at in isolation it would appear that for broken/crushed, cuts/bruises, and puncture/abrasions UPS rates are some 3 times those for workers in similar jobs in the U.S.

twoweeled

I've been working part time as a package handler for about 8 years and should be making a transition to becoming a UPS driver at any time but at the same time I went through the LA county sheriff trainee selection process for past one year and just received a call from the sheriff's department that I passed the selection process and that my 5 months training at the sheriff's academy starts on September to become a sheriff deputy. I really want to do both but I have to choose one as my life time career and give up the other forever. It's very hard decision to make. Any advice or opinions?
Sheriff. I'm not a huge supporter of law enforcement, but it is what it is. Your better off becoming a deputy. UPS has become one lousy place to work, and it's getting worse, weekly! You have no one looking out for you, and the company thinking of nothing else, except how to take a little more away from you. LA County Sheriff. You get to shoot people, and beat them up. Maybe you can come back and visit some upper UPS management, after you've become a deputy?
Bromley-beating_62_1619380a.jpg