Becoming a driver!!!?

Rowmonger

During the 2011 peak season I was a driver helper, and a week after peak a ups HR lady called me and asked if I wanted to to go for a driver position. That was a Friday by the next Monday I had done my drive test (12 cubed with a ****ty cluch and no power steering) and my dot. Passed both, so my question were am I in the hiring process and does everyone make it this far or do I actually have legitimate chance of being hired?

Southwestern

Honestly, given the lack of available driving positions within the past 5-7 years, and the number of part-timers patiently waiting (7+ years seniority within my district), it ticks me off to read the large number of postings on BC regarding recent off-the-street hirings.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Honestly, given the lack of available driving positions within the past 5-7 years, and the number of part-timers patiently waiting (7+ years seniority within my district), it ticks me off to read the large number of postings on BC regarding recent off-the-street hirings.

It's in the contract---deal with it.

rocket man

and you belive he/she is gonna start that quick ? or maybe hes in a hub buy him self yea thats it NO ONE IS GONNA STEP UP TO THE PLATE AND SAY ANYTHING.

Southwestern

and you belive he/she is gonna start that quick ? or maybe hes in a hub buy him self yea thats it NO ONE IS GONNA STEP UP TO THE PLATE AND SAY ANYTHING.

Yes, I'm very skeptical that a seasonal driver helper would be offered a full-time driving job. 1) It's likely his center hired seasonal drivers who are trained, qualified and ready; 2) How would UPS be aware of his qualifications; 3) How could he have applied for the job. But I doubt somebody would make that up and take the time to register & post to BC... maybe he lives in an obscured location.

It's in the contract---deal with it.

Wouldn't it be more advantageous for UPS to move part-timers making $16+/hour, given that they can replace them with persons making $8.50/hour?

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
I find it hard to believe in these days and times, Big Mama Brown would have to look to the streets to find folks to fill a position that pays $31.00 p/hr plus free bennies.

ryan74701

I find it hard to believe in these days and times, Big Mama Brown would have to look to the streets to find folks to fill a position that pays $31.00 p/hr plus free bennies.

lol i was an off the street hire in November 2011, they hired 6 drivers in 2011 off the street, but hey i have to wait 3 years to get to 31/ hour, i think where im at right is the only place they are giving retention bonuses so no one will quit.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Yes, I'm very skeptical that a seasonal driver helper would be offered a full-time driving job. 1) It's likely his center hired seasonal drivers who are trained, qualified and ready; 2) How would UPS be aware of his qualifications; 3) How could he have applied for the job. But I doubt somebody would make that up and take the time to register & post to BC... maybe he lives in an obscured location.

Wouldn't it be more advantageous for UPS to move part-timers making $16+/hour, given that they can replace them with persons making $8.50/hour?

There are some locations where P/T are not eligible and off the street is the only option.

Maybe it is a location where there is only one p/t who is interested and he/she was disqualified last year.

It could be in the Shangri-la center obscured by clouds and mountains where everyone gets along very well.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
lol i was an off the street hire in November 2011, they hired 6 drivers in 2011 off the street, but hey i have to wait 3 years to get to 31/ hour, i think where im at right is the only place they are giving retention bonuses so no one will quit.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way as it's not my intention to offend. I think a 36 month progression is garbage for someone that has "paid their dues" via unloading trailers, working sort aisle, sorting charge, driving hardware trains or any other pt position. I did it, for 6 years and I feel like I EARNED my seat at OUR table. I don't think someone else that has walked a mile or two in my shoes should have to wait 3 years to see the fruits of his/her labor. However, if someone were to slide into a job like mine (bear in mind, I EARNED it) off the street, then I think a 3 year pay progression is fair.

NYdriver

If you were hired in Nov, you are not a permanent driver yet...You still have not made book.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I hope you don't take this the wrong way as it's not my intention to offend. I think a 36 month progression is garbage for someone that has "paid their dues" via unloading trailers, working sort aisle, sorting charge, driving hardware trains or any other pt position. I did it, for 6 years and I feel like I EARNED my seat at OUR table. I don't think someone else that has walked a mile or two in my shoes should have to wait 3 years to see the fruits of his/her labor. However, if someone were to slide into a job like mine (bear in mind, I EARNED it) off the street, then I think a 3 year pay progression is fair.

The ratio used to be 2:1, then it went to 3:1 and now is 6:1 which tells me that UPS recognized that PTers who have paid their dues should be given consideration over an outside hire. Truth be told, I don't know why there is even an outside hire provision in the contract unless, of course, they want the most qualified person for the position.

tbrook387

our center uses the outside hire position for part time supervisors that want to drive, then go back into full time sup positions at a better pay. im ok with it. not only do they have to stick it out till they go through progression, but it gives them a chance to see what its like to be a driver.

AssistantSanta

I did it, for 6 years and I feel like I EARNED my seat at OUR table. I don't think someone else that has walked a mile or two in my shoes should have to wait 3 years to see the fruits of his/her labor.
Ok, since we're expressing opinions... *I* think that pure time-based wait list is non-sense. Save that for Black Friday line waiting.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner

Agreed,

Hey, u guys want help?

Go call 1800-YOUR MAMMA

or www.YOURMAMMA.com