Becoming a RTD

l22

How is it being a RTD? To the RTDs out there who have been doing this job for a while and others who know about the position, how do you like it, how is pay, scheduling, what is the outlook like, how has the job changed, etc.? Any info you have would be helpful. Right now, I'm a courier but I'm looking to make more money/ get full-time work and it seems like RTDS get to get away from the craziness of station ops and ramp ops (although I don't know much about the latter). Thanks.

fedex_rtd

RTD is a 24/7 365 day operation. As a new RTD you should expect to be a swing/cover driver until a route opens up. DO NOT expect to get a full time position unless you have at least 10 to 15 years with the company.

Feel free to PM me for specific questions.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
It definitely is a far cry better than being a courier at DGO. I did that for several years as well. It wasn't so bad "back in the day", but all I have to do is come on here and read about all the crazy crap going on in that world today, and I feel grateful that I made the jump over to AGFS and the RTD world when I did.

Don't get me wrong, it still sucks - it just sucks less (and pays a bit more)...Not nearly as much BS.

Just remember one thing - accidents here are just as unforgiveable as they are at the DGO, and putting a scrape at the assend of a 53' trailer incurs the same consequences as it will by putting one on the rear bumper of your courier van.

You didn't mention what your driving experience is, but not everyone is comfortable driving a large tractor/trailer vehicle. Some folks never quite get on with it and return to the DGO courier arena (providing they don't get booted out due to preventables first)...Just something to consider.

And FT RTD positions seem to be rare as hens teeth these days. You might have to be willing to transfer to another location to get one.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
NYC and Northern NJ are hiring FT RTD's off the street. Pay is 19$ an hour to start.

That's fine. But remember that it will take you a century to get to $20 per hour. Smart people would do a year at Club Fred, and then take their CDL to a real company that pays real wages and benefits.

Artee

and putting a scrape at the assend of a 53' trailer incurs the same consequences as it will by putting one on the rear bumper of your courier van.

Oh come on now. Who reports trailer damage...LOL How many times have you pretripped a trailer to find waves going down the side of it from somebody rubbing it against a fixed object. No one knows who did it.

heard a story about a driver at a hub the other night who turned too sharp leaving the MLD and wiped out the back of the trailer. Blown out tires, bent up rims. He stopped for 30 seconds, never got out to inspect the damage and then drove off like nothing happened. Trailer wobbling down the road as it left the facility. Two of our RT driver were talking and watched it happen...All they could do was laugh...Darn hub drivers.

l22

Don't get me wrong, it still sucks - it just sucks less (and pays a bit more)...Not nearly as much BS.

You didn't mention what your driving experience is, but not everyone is comfortable driving a large tractor/trailer vehicle. Some folks never quite get on with it and return to the DGO courier arena (providing they don't get booted out due to preventables first)...Just something to consider.

And FT RTD positions seem to be rare as hens teeth these days. You might have to be willing to transfer to another location to get one.

Thank you all for the responses, I'm sure it has it's own set of crap the same way being a courier does. How physical is the job? I've seen the RTDs who bring the cans to stations I've been at range in what they would do (if anything at all) after backing into the dock - some RTDs would help pull cans, others would just stand there and watch the handlers pull cans and then maybe put some empty cans into the trailer. The main perk of the job to me compared to being a courier would be even less people to deal with face-to-face and hopefully less physical work (although I'm not sure about either of these). I'd like a job where I have long periods of time where I don't have to interact with anyone and can just drive. What kind of work do you do when at the ramp and is the majority of the job driving from the ramp to stations and back over and over?

I've never driven a large tractor/trailer vehicle and do not have a CDL. I've heard Express will provide you with training.

Last edited:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Thank you all for the responses, I'm sure it has it's own set of crap the same way being a courier does. How physical is the job? I've seen the RTDs who bring the cans to stations I've been at range in what they would do (if anything at all) after backing into the dock - some RTDs would help pull cans, others would just stand there and watch the handlers pull cans and then maybe put some empty cans into the trailer. The main perk of the job to me compared to being a courier would be even less people to deal with face-to-face and hopefully less physical work (although I'm not sure about either of these). I'd like a job where I have long periods of time where I don't have to interact with anyone and can just drive. What kind of work do you do when at the ramp and is the majority of the job driving from the ramp to stations and back over and over?

I've never driven a large tractor/trailer vehicle and do not have a CDL. I've heard Express will provide you with training.

Express will train you, and then claim you cannot leave, which is BS. The job can be very physical, as AMJs can weight well over 5,000 lbs, and you cannot always expect to have help off-loading. How many of you RTDs have gone to an empty station at 0500, and then have not a single body in the station to help? I'm guessing ALL of you if you're telling the truth.

Some people aren't cut-out for handling a large vehicle. I found the driving part quite easy, but never enjoyed off-loading heavy cans. Some RTDs will help unload cans, and others just sit in their cabs and do nothing.

Again, get the training and some drive time, and then leave. Make sure you can shift well, back-up skillfully, and know how to drive defensively. Nobody will touch you if you can't pass their drive test.

Artee

The job can be very physical, as AMJs can weight well over 5,000 lbs, How many of you RTDs have gone to an empty station at 0500, and then have not a single body in the station to help? I'm guessing ALL of you if you're telling the truth.

5000 lbs. That would be nice. I have many that range from 6-14k. If no one is there to help you unload, you let them know you will be in the truck taking a nap or in the break room having a cup of coffee and to come get you when they are ready. I have some ramp agents I deal with that are pretty lazy. They always complain about helping because it cuts in to their youtube and facebook time. I just let them know I will drop the trailer on the lift and they can get to it when they want and have another driver move it. They hate that idea since there is only one lift.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
5000 lbs. That would be nice. I have many that range from 6-14k. If no one is there to help you unload, you let them know you will be in the truck taking a nap or in the break room having a cup of coffee and to come get you when they are ready. I have some ramp agents I deal with that are pretty lazy. They always complain about helping because it cuts in to their youtube and facebook time. I just let them know I will drop the trailer on the lift and they can get to it when they want and have another driver move it. They hate that idea since there is only one lift.

If you're getting 14k AMJs, they are probably being trucked. Most I've seen coming off aircraft were in the 4k-7k range, with a few outliers. I don't remember the max position weight on an MD10 weight and balance, but 14k sounds pretty high. I used to get a lot of hassle for calling-up managers at zero dark thirty asking where the "help" was, and that their cans were going to be sitting there until I got an assist. Plus, some of the rollers were so bad that it too 3-4 people to get a can out sometimes. Especially those in the last position exposed to the weather.

Serf

That's barely more than starting CRR pay at my sta. Not worth the responsibility.
Yep. I mean 19$ an hour is very different in Tennessee or Indiana than it is in NY or NJ. However, I still do not know of a company that pays for your CDL (which would cost thousands out of pocket) and then gives you a job with little to no experience. I think I mentioned it before, the running joke is that day you get your CLASS A with endorsements, immediately apply at UPS/and or UPS Freight. My buddy in Providence, RI did this and went from making 18.32 and lucky to sniff 40 hours. To UPS Freight making 30.50 an hour at 50 hours on average. Guaranteed time and a half is a sweet thing!

Artee

If you're getting 14k AMJs, they are probably being trucked. Most I've seen coming off aircraft were in the 4k-7k range, with a few outliers. I don't remember the max position weight on an MD10 weight and balance, but 14k sounds pretty high. I used to get a lot of hassle for calling-up managers at zero dark thirty asking where the "help" was, and that their cans were going to be sitting there until I got an assist. Plus, some of the rollers were so bad that it too 3-4 people to get a can out sometimes. Especially those in the last position exposed to the weather.

It came from a station that the customer ships a lot of paper. It doesn't get on a plane. I take it to the ramp and then a driver from the hub shows up with more of our freight and takes this can back to the hub to be sorted. Our lift is only rated for 14K, and it took them 3 tries to get the lift to go up and stay up to load that can on the hub driver.