Becoming a supervisor

Chemo

The positives
1. It will motivate you to finish college
2. It will look good on your resume.
The negatives
Everything else.
When you turn 30, if you're still with UPS, you'll realize becoming a part time sup was the worst decision you could have made. Nobody will be able to talk you out of it, from the sounds of it.
So, good luck to you.

Sent using BrownCafe App

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Well regardless of what anyone says, I am going to take the job. I wasn't hand picked, I asked to get the job. It's not as bad as it must be where you guys work.
Any help would be appreciated unless you want to keep bitching about the company like every other employee does.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Your funny dude. You have no idea yet how friend cked up and dishonest these :censored2:s are. Youll find out when your a supe and find out everything they do is done wrong. Just a matter of time youngblood.

Jas85374

Well regardless of what anyone says, I am going to take the job. I wasn't hand picked, I asked to get the job. It's not as bad as it must be where you guys work.
Any help would be appreciated unless you want to keep bitching about the company like every other employee does.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Seriously, it's not about bitching about Ups. It's us being humorous while trying to save you. If you have more than a year of college left, then I seriously would reconsider if I were in your shoes.

Sent using BrownCafe App

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
It amazes me. All these young newbie part timers come on here and ask for our opinions on becoming part time sups. We tell them in no uncertain terms what we think of pt sups. I know some pt sups that are wonderful people but they are locked in a dead end career track and they know it. I think the op will find out the hard way that we speak the truth and we want him to make a decision with his eyes wide open.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Don't apply if you are epileptic or otherwise prone to seizures.

At the end of your re-education, they place you in a dark room with strobe lights where you hear "union workers are evil" blaring from a speaker on the wall for 72 hours straight.

Good luck.
72 hours? That may be longer than the re-education class itself..lol. You get the fancy ups polo shirt if you can spell "warning letter" at the end of the class.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I strongly disagree. If the OP is just planning on doing this while completing his degree, UPS will be a great addition to his resume.

To the OP---I applaud your decision to challenge yourself and wish you well during your short stint with the company and in your future.

Keep in mind that you will get infantile responses from those unable or unwilling to challenge themselves.
Yes, it's really challenging to supervise people doing a job that the supervisor couldn't do well himself.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
UPS part time sups work more hours than most full time government workers. Good luck with school with those kind of hours.

Rainman

Its all good.
I strongly disagree. If the OP is just planning on doing this while completing his degree, UPS will be a great addition to his resume.

To the OP---I applaud your decision to challenge yourself and wish you well during your short stint with the company and in your future.

Keep in mind that you will get infantile responses from those unable or unwilling to challenge themselves.
That sounds like something Spock would say. Do you have pointy ears?

Kmart sux. So does Walmart. And Orion.

Rainman

Its all good.
There is a lot of truth on the negative you here regarding PT sups. I've heard it too many times from too many PT sups, and from a lot of FT sups also. Think carefully and investigate more.

Kmart sux. So does Walmart. And Orion.

Acc0rd

I have friends who went sup year after year tell me they hate their job and are going to quit soon, and either do, or stay in the saddle and hate their job year after year. Said "I wish I would have NEVER became supervisor, I would have been a driver by now!!!!" I tell them, yup, remember, I told you so! Everything is your fault, someone is going to be the scapegoat, guess what, that's YOU! Also, they always say, oh im just doing this for college and then im leaving, they NEVER LEAVE. College degrees working part time for UPS. I went to college as well, and I didn't put on a supervisor shirt:)

Good luck, im sure you will hate life in the next year, or even sooner, say, Peak? haha

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Well, he's already talking about "employees" like he isn't one. But I suspect by employees he means hourlies. I say go for it, you've already got the ego and attitude for it. Now all you need is the clipboard. Make sure and wear that neon green vest, it makes you easier to grieve.

Box Ox

Besides the title, what value do you think being a part time supervisor will add to your resume? A part time sup's value carries about the same weight as a manager at a subway sandwich shop.

I think the value it adds is that the job title and general job description looks far better on a resume to future employers than it actually is. We insiders know better. But good for the guys and gals who get into sup work and are able to move onto something better.

I've found that sups who have plans to exit are easier to work with than those who plan to be with the company for the long term and have far more to lose.

Xexys

Retired and Happy
Do you care about the healthcare? Your healthcare in general is not as good as an hourly employee. Also, I believe that you get paid monthly. Can you change your spending habits to adjust? Getting paid weekly is quite a bit easier to meet bill commitments as opposed to monthly. Since you are dead set on going into management, I hope you are close to getting a degree from your college and will quickly get a job in your targeted field. Good luck.

Rubber Puckies

I'm a part time supervisor and I would say the decision is great, assuming you have no aspiration of being a driver and want to the company as either a stepping stone to your future career, or stay with UPS. The only issue is that you will not receive any formal training of the duties you need to fulfill, and you'll need to learn on the spot, usually when some salty union employee is in your face. You'll need to be able to let the small things go, even when the people above you make it a big deal, and to continue to learn and understand the operation as quickly as possible. I drove through peak and have very minimal training in all of the positions in our facility, and it becomes difficult when making a decision in an area I don't know very well. The best advice I can give to you is to keep your ears open, learn from the employees that have been there for a while, treat all with respect, but don't be a pushover. Though you are "in charge", your employees performance will either make or break you. Union employees cannot be terminated for performance, assuming they are following the methods, you can be terminated based solely on your performance.

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
To be unprepared for a supervisor position, is to be perfectly suited for management. "So you don't know what you're doing? Time to be in charge!"