Becoming an Express Driver

Discussion in 'FedEx Discussions' started by justajobbc, Dec 27, 2014.

1. justajobbc

justajobbc New Member

I am a handler, about to turn 21, and I am wondering what are the requirements and disqualifications for becoming a driver?

I'm going to school and plan to quit when I graduate in 2.5 hrs. My manager is talking to me about an FO route, which will work perfectly with my school schedule, but I want to make sure I will pass the background/driving history.

I have had one ticket in the past 3 years, I did defensive driving and had it removed. I have had 2 at fault accidents and 1 non at fault accident in the past 3 years. One of the at fault accidents will be passed the 3 year mark in 22 days.
  2. MechLift

MechLift Member

Every station has a manager responsible for new hires so this person will know the details of driving requirements. You will not be a driver long if you have recurring accidents. Eventually you will have to step down to an off road position.

FO deliveries is a good introduction to getting somewhere safely on time with two challenges; it's early in the morning and your stops will be spread across large areas. See if you can find out the area you'll be in and drive through it a few times or talk to the previous driver.
  3. DRAisawesome

DRAisawesome Active Member

Just have them run your mvr for the position. If you can't get the job it will tell them. You won't get fired from your handler job.