Been a lurker for awhile and registered today to combat the...

R

rocking chair guy

From my 31 years with UPS and 27 of those being a union steward , it seemed that when they started hiring management people off the street and not having any experiences of working in the trenches as an hourly , thus knowing at least some of the workings of UPS , the quality of management slipped . Least when they had the policy of only promoting from within , those going into management had some knowledge of the different aspects of the operation and had been exposed to both good and bad management at UPS and had seen how that affected their job as to making it easier or harder , which would relate also to the operation of UPS running smoother or rougher . All to often a bad sup can make for a bad attitude on those working for them , and to be honest the same can be said about a hourly with a bad attitude affecting those around them . I have seen management who would sell you out in a heartbeat and have seen mangement who would go to the wall for you so depends on the individual , seen the same with my fellow drivers , some you could count on , some you couldn't ....will agree that I have seen as a steward that more and more it seemed like that the company would go for the throat of someone caught making a mistake that we used to be able to work out on a local level with the union and company , think that was/is a result of having too many people in the positions of power who have not " been there done that" and so do not know what the workforce goes thru on a day to day basis and therefore does not have a clue as to the inside operations of UPS , to them it is all about being on "paper " as to how things should be and that is wrong and damaging when you forget the human aspect of it and in the end will come back and bite you in the rear . JMHO

island1fox

:thumbup1: Voice of Reason
I like your attitude and your spirit. I have just recently retired from UPS after a thirty six year career that included both hourly and management positions. UPS was tough when I started --UPS is still tough today. In every career ( not just a job) there are peaks and there are valleys. The determined people enjoy the peaks and survive the valleys they also have a decision to make when a problem appears ---- be part of the problem or be part of the solution ---they select the latter. It is easy to throw rocks and complain --- for most of those people the only thing that is tough -is to look in the mirror. If I had my life to live over --- there would be a few changes ----UPS would not be one of the changes.

bobcat

Fisherman
Voice of Reason
Many of the posters on this site complain of poor management and their tactics. Most would agree that the tactics should be improved. I think that when a young supervisor such as yourself has a good attitude and expresses that you want to do the right thing, it should be applauded not criticized. I am happy as a vet of this company that young people want to join the ranks and make the job better for everyone. My hats off to you.

hoser

Industrial Slob
There are drivers who go into areas day in and day out where police don't even respond to. That is respectable, that is courageous. The chances of them being dead is real from a gangbanger wanting to cap his hommie for the hell of it. Or a stupid white trash redneck making a meth lab in his garage which could blow up when the UPS man is delivering his new deer stand.

With men and women abroad dying over Bush's quagmire almost daily, are you seriously trying to call UPS couriers "courageous"? :no:

Overpaid Union Thug

I don't understand why a few of you are giving "voiceofreason" the third degree here. I can understand it over on the "military service" thread but not here. His attitude didn't even have a hint of negativity or arrogance yet people are thrashing him as if they did. If he is anything like our OMS, which it sounds like he is, then I'd have to say his responsibility goes way beyond just sending and recieving messages at a computer. I know our drivers depend on our OMS clerk and I'm sure his does too. What's the big deal? I guess there are just some people out there that can't stand to see people happy. Or maybe just jelous that someone actually likes their job.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
With men and women abroad dying over Bush's quagmire almost daily, are you seriously trying to call UPS couriers "courageous"? :no:
Please do not compare apples to oranges. Yes we have brave people dying to defend our right to post things like this, AKA, to be free. (This is not a political thread.) And my son is one of them, and tells me the stories from the guys and girls who come back from "abroad" aka Iraq and Afghanistan, and they do not think of it as Bushs quagmire. I would never downgrade what they are doing to calling it "stuck in the mud". Even poor Casey didnt, his mother does, and as a mother I understand her pain, but not her actions.

Sounds like maybe you have never worked in one of these areas????

Good for you. Hope you never have to.

We cannot carry mace, a stun gun or a gun. We are defenseless. The only protection is our Diad. Talk about a quagmire. And let me assure you, like your democratic heroes insist, If they want your money, your truck, or whats in it, trying to talk things out, aint gonna work. Diplomacy is going to get you killed, in this case cut and run IS the best option.

DS

Fenderbender
This is a good thread...I`m a 16 yr pkg driver and I agree that in the "old days" (before the diad) things were pretty much cut and dry .
You always had the option of calling the center to inform them that you needed help,and often that was because some overzealous preload bastard sup ,was just trying to get the belt clean before he went home for the day,Now its monsters from above telling you how much you can do.But one thing has not changed....the phone call at 1:00 pm saying I`m taking my break and if I dont get help I will have missed deliveries.
The big difference is that in the old days you`d get
help, now, they just say do the best you can .if you miss you miss...sad really

Uncle Rico

Hoser, I would not dare in any way disrespect the courage and valor our armed forces possess while fighting for our freedoms, especially in wars that are not fully backed by the American people, example, Iraq.

The word "courage" however can be used in sentences that do not involve American troops. Yes, I believe UPS drivers, as the are called, on certain routes, in certain violent, volatile neighborhoods can be called courageous because they face the kind of crap day in and day out that a management candidate will not face while getting their driving experience over the course of 6 months. And for a management candidate who thinks that because they were drivers for 3-6-9 months or helped at peak can have the guts to say "I drove for a while, I know what goes on". If they have the guts to say that out loud, more power to them. They don't know jack squat about driving when it was only a temporary thing until they finally got their promotion and became one of management.

For the record, I have the utmost respect for anyone past or present in the military and for any UPS driver who has to put up with management's quasi military way of motivating employees. The noob driver who gets stuck on a :censored2: route in a bad neighborhood who comes in everyday to do their job knowing in the back of their mind that physical harm could come upon them just because they are in said neighborhood in my opinion is courageous. It has nothing to do with the military. A baseball player making 10 million a year who plays in a game with a sore arm and is doing it for the team IS NOT courageous, but the announcers will have you believe that for the sake of drama.

Courage is facing that which what we fear and overcoming those fears whether it is a 5 year old kid going to kindergarten for the first time, a driver delivering to a known crack house, or an army grunt driving a hummer down Main St in Bagdahd. Courage is not limited to military...got it??

hoser

Industrial Slob
And for a management candidate who thinks that because they were drivers for 3-6-9 months or helped at peak can have the guts to say "I drove for a while, I know what goes on". If they have the guts to say that out loud, more power to them.
I hate to break it to you, but as a bike courier for two years and a courier with FX for 10 months, you really know what goes on after 6 months at the most.

helenofcalifornia

Excellent Thread!!!! And talk about lurkers, where have Island1Fox and "retiredrockingchair" been all this time? Chime in more frequently boys, your point of view is well appreciated by me for one.

R

rocking chair guy

Helenofcalifornia , thanks for the kind words ....guess I am just quiet and shy about posting !

over9five

Staff member
"..bike courier for two years and a courier with FX for 10 months, you really know what goes on after 6 months at the most."

Another know it all rookie pup....

(What the hells a "bike courier"??? Something you did in high school?))

Brownnblue

I don't understand why a few of you are giving "voiceofreason" the third degree here. I can understand it over on the "military service" thread but not here. His attitude didn't even have a hint of negativity or arrogance yet people are thrashing him as if they did. If he is anything like our OMS, which it sounds like he is, then I'd have to say his responsibility goes way beyond just sending and recieving messages at a computer. I know our drivers depend on our OMS clerk and I'm sure his does too. What's the big deal? I guess there are just some people out there that can't stand to see people happy. Or maybe just jelous that someone actually likes their job.
I believe that voice of reason's original post carried with it a great deal of negitivity & arrogance, but his subsequent posts have shown some maturity and understanding.

I'll elaborate on the original if you want, but at this point in the thread it would probably be useless.

helenofcalifornia

I concur. I think Voice of Reason has matured alot in these past few days. I still am irked (sorry toonertoo) about his "my drivers" remark. I am not a "my driver" to anyone at work.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I concur. I think Voice of Reason has matured alot in these past few days. I still am irked (sorry toonertoo) about his "my drivers" remark. I am not a "my driver" to anyone at work.

Its Ok helenofcalifornia, I was just trying to be a centrist. I know how it sounded, I flinched also, but I thought I knew what he meant. Its common at my shop.

Uncle Rico

I hate to break it to you, but as a bike courier for two years and a courier with FX for 10 months, you really know what goes on after 6 months at the most.

You're a FX courier!? LMAO:lol: . That says it all. I hate to break it to you but since you don't work for UPS, you really don't know jack squat. You are right though. Working for fredex for 6 months, you know all you have to know about delivering envelopes. You have probably mastered all the shortcuts to doing a professional job,, and have learned all the little tricks to keep you manager (who doesn't know his arse from a hole in the ground) off your back.

Ah, the overconfidence of youth. It is refreshing.