Been a lurker for awhile and registered today to combat the...

Braveheart

28 and a .............. part time sup. OMS actually :w00t:
WOW A WHOLE 4 YEARS. YOU ARE IN NO PLACE TO TALK! # 1 only 4 years= ROOKIE #2 a part timer= only 4-6 hours a day big deal #3 a sup= power trip know it all #4 an OMS=sit on your ass in the A/C and work the phones That is like the cook in the army on the back lines telling a marine to quit whining. You have no clue how hi paced hi stressed our jobs are as drivers. Have you ever loaded 3 trucks at 4 AM, loaded 2 feeders in the hot 100 degree summer sun, anything resembling hard manual labor, anything like 10 12 14 hours without A/C in a truck handling 400-600 hundred boxes a day, delivering to over 100 addresses and then doing pick ups, over 70's, cod's, in the rain, snow, heat, humidity, getting bit by dogs, mosquitos, while being overdispatched, harassed, nitpicked, intimidated, called a slacker and even a liar? Have you no idea how easy your job is? It is important and some of the OMS men and women do way more for us than 10 managers combined! But don't you ever talk smack until you have walked in in our shoes. I did part time for over 5 years, loading, unloading, sorting, pick off, small sort, air bay, carwash by hand, oca, exception air, Sat air,and now a driver for over 8 years the first 4 plus bouncing from route to route weekly and even daily. People vent about our government but that does not mean they should give up changing it for the better.

Braveheart

Yes I answer a lot of phone calls, I also arrange help for you 9.5ers and am the comic relief on the ODS messages for my people. You guys must not have expierienced a good OMS if you think its a silly position.

I'll be sure to post an update at Brown Cafe in about 12 more years when I am a bitter middle aged man who wants something for free. :laugh:
We earn every penny of our paychecks and make our company billions in profit. Nothing about our job is free. We provide our services and are to be paid for them. All the mandatory overtime keeps us from our families and most end up disabled by this job. NOTHING IS FREE!

Braveheart

I have about 5 months of driving under my belt. I'm not clueless about it. I drove for a whole summer and all last peak, I curse myself for not staying in the hub because now I can see both sides of the struggle and I actually prefer only a truck full of problems (even if its 200 blind stops) than an entire center full of problems.

I sowed my own oats by selling out to the management ranks early on. I just graduated college and now I'm finally in position to start cutting throats to secure a full time spot for myself, where I could be a driver by now had I stayed in the hub. My part-time seniority number would be 18 had I stayed.

Anyways I'm glad to be here and share/contribute to this brown sub-community. Stay tuned, I'll be expressing plenty of opinion around here since I'm a part-timer with no more school to suck up my time.
Oh you drove a whole 5 months. That is like playing one year of Pop Warner. Hell, all of us were gung ho our first couple years. We were young and full of fire. Now all we do is wonder what they pull now to do the firing. You merely have seen the spin zone of a bad movie with good previews. Keep dreaming. You did sell out and now you admit to cut throat like ambitions. Confession is waiting, your parents must be proud.

VoiceOfReason

Telling it like it is
You did sell out and now you admit to cut throat like ambitions. Confession is waiting, your parents must be proud.

Cutting throats is a colorful expression for what I'll have to do to get ahead, its going to be extremely difficult for me to rise above the masses of part time sups to nail down a full time job. The point of the post you pulled this from is the hind sight is 20/20 thing. I should have stayed in the hub and union if I wanted full time work, but I didn't and I am now making the most of what I have.

CTOTH

Not retired, just tired
Cutting throats is a colorful expression for what I'll have to do to get ahead, its going to be extremely difficult for me to rise above the masses of part time sups to nail down a full time job. The point of the post you pulled this from is the hind sight is 20/20 thing. I should have stayed in the hub and union if I wanted full time work, but I didn't and I am now making the most of what I have.
At least you're aware (and willing, by the sounds of it) of what you will be required to do to get where you're going. I can't find any respect for an individual willing to screw another human being over for a number, out of fear.

ogrelord

Ground Down
I sowed my own oats by selling out to the management ranks early on. I just graduated college and now I'm finally in position to start cutting throats to secure a full time spot for myself, where I could be a driver by now had I stayed in the hub. My part-time seniority number would be 18 had I stayed.

just a question how many union mebers have you thrown under the bus to get where your at? or how many lies have you stood there and told to peoples face?

when your boss fires you to cover there rear end, we'll see how much you like UPS then..

VoiceOfReason

Telling it like it is
just a question how many union mebers have you thrown under the bus to get where your at? or how many lies have you stood there and told to peoples face?

when your boss fires you to cover there rear end, we'll see how much you like UPS then..

I don't screw any union people over. As a matter of fact I had a driver who started the same time I did, about 4 years ago, tell me that the only reason he works here still is because there are a few people like me who always know whats going on and have something nice to say. I just about fell over. :thumbup1:

I don't tell lies and I don't cheat at work, I would like to keep my job and any progress I have made career-wise.

If the boss fires me for some other-than-truthful reason, I would be pissed and I would fight like hell to clear myself. Yes that would suck and I would hate UPS then but it hasn't happened.

Dutch Dawg

It's threads like this one that cause me to think. "Geez, perhaps some of you UPS'ers should take advantage of the health insurance benefits and get counseling for your apparent issues." :lol: