been on both sides

ex fed exer

I worked 11 years and 2 months for fed ex. I have 9 years at u.p.s. hands down u.p.s. is far greater than fed ex has ever been. I make $29.72/$44.58 on o.t. an hour with a raise coming on aug. 1st. $30 an here here i come, thank you union.

at fed ex it was always if you don't like it, mcdonalds is hiring attutide. very good people were always being railroaded out of the company while the slugs were well taken care of. incompetent management was never held accountable. Fred S was always a republican.

at u.p.s i do my job and nobody says a word to me or has a problem. the union does have it's problems, but when it shows up u.p.s. deos toe the line.

do yourself and family a favor. vote union.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I worked 11 years and 2 months for fed ex. I have 9 years at u.p.s. hands down u.p.s. is far greater than fed ex has ever been. I make $29.72/$44.58 on o.t. an hour with a raise coming on aug. 1st. $30 an here here i come, thank you union.

at fed ex it was always if you don't like it, mcdonalds is hiring attutide. very good people were always being railroaded out of the company while the slugs were well taken care of. incompetent management was never held accountable. Fred S was always a republican.

at u.p.s i do my job and nobody says a word to me or has a problem. the union does have it's problems, but when it shows up u.p.s. deos toe the line.

Well said.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
He's been on both sides. Your turn now MrFedEx. Bet UPS can't wait to have ya!:happy-very:

When I worked for UPS as a feeder temp they were pretty pleased. I did it for 4 straight seasons and they always called me back. I ran NDA to the airport, picked-up and delivered trailers to the rail yards, and did a lot of center to center work. They asked me if I wanted to come on board, but I'd have to be a handler/loader first. No thanks. What UPS didn't know is that I was already working FT for FedEx during the day as an RTD. I'd do my hrs at FedEx, go sleep in my car for a few hours, and then drive for UPS all night. Strictly illegal, and I'd have been canned by both companies, but I desperately needed the extra money in order to buy-out my ex-wife and keep my house. Luckily, I survived, kept the house, and dumped the wife. Not my best years. This was especially fun during peak. Whenever I got too burnt out I could just tell UPS "no" because I was a temp, but that only happened a few times.

Here's what I noticed. First, UPS was far more professional. They almost always had their act together. The feeder dispatchers and managers knew what they were doing most of the time, which isn't usually the case at FedEx. The equipment was usually older, but far better maintained than FedEx tractors. UPS was also ruthlessly efficient, down to the point of tracking tractor idle time. If the truck was idling more than a few seconds you needed to shut it off. I don't know if they still do this. SMART cards were a pain.

One thing they were very good at was keeping you productive. I'd bounce from the railyard, to the container lot, and from center to center all night long. When a piggyback train was due, we'd get dispatched to the railyard just a few minutes before train arrival. As soon as the train stopped, the loader was placing trailers in the yard, and UPS trucks were backing-up under them seconds later. Very impressive.

Just a question...where in your synopsis did the union play a part in making UPS so much better? Could mgmt be part of the reason? Teamwork be part of the reason? A culture of pride be the reason?

ex fed exer

Just a question...where in your synopsis did the union play a part in making UPS so much better? Could mgmt be part of the reason? Teamwork be part of the reason? A culture of pride be the reason?

Start with $29.72/$44.58 on overtime, will be over $30 on august 1st 2010. Better benefits, better pension, a better retirement. There is no railroading a person out of U.P.S. simply for being a senior employee who is at top pay.

Unlike, fed ex, eployees at U.P.S. have reresentation behind closed doors. Everything goes by the contract, not by what some supervisor/manager wants to due ala fed ex whos policy always ends with the phrase "or managements discretion".

Read the fed ex policy and procedures that states no employee at fed ex can tape a conversation one on one with a manager behind closed doors. What is fed ex trying to hide and what part of the third reich did smith get this from? At fed ex the constitution of the untied states does not exist.

the union is far from perfect, but i would not want to ever again work in an environment that is totally AT WILL EMPLOYEE. The jews in germany had a better chance than an employee at fed ex or other non union work place. Ask the 29 coal miners who are no longer with us.

always remember the fed ex p.s.p. philosophy,

Profit in Smith's Pocket!

Answer me this...10 yrs from now when wages reach $50.00 / hr would you be sending that pkg by USPS, FDX or UPS. I can see it now. You buy a CD for $9.95 on some online site and it will cost you $75.00 with shipping and handling. At that point UPS will go the way of REA, you won't have a pot to piss in and you can all gather to protest to the teamsters. But wait, the teamsters will no longer exist, without UPS membership the teamsters would also go the way of other dissolved unions.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Start with $29.72/$44.58 on overtime, will be over $30 on august 1st 2010. Better benefits, better pension, a better retirement. There is no railroading a person out of U.P.S. simply for being a senior employee who is at top pay.

Unlike, fed ex, eployees at U.P.S. have reresentation behind closed doors. Everything goes by the contract, not by what some supervisor/manager wants to due ala fed ex whos policy always ends with the phrase "or managements discretion".

Read the fed ex policy and procedures that states no employee at fed ex can tape a conversation one on one with a manager behind closed doors. What is fed ex trying to hide and what part of the third reich did smith get this from? At fed ex the constitution of the untied states does not exist.

the union is far from perfect, but i would not want to ever again work in an environment that is totally AT WILL EMPLOYEE. The jews in germany had a better chance than an employee at fed ex or other non union work place. Ask the 29 coal miners who are no longer with us.

always remember the fed ex p.s.p. philosophy,

Profit in Smith's Pocket!

You truly understand FedEx. There is no job security given the environment that exists there. I always love it when someone gets on here and starts raving about how "great" Fedex is and that they'd never want (or need) a union. Usually they've never been seriously injured on the job or run afoul of management, probably because they've got such brown noses. If they were to blow-out a knee or otherwise get injured to the extent that they can't perform their job, they'd quickly discover that their wonderful employer had turned the tables on them and was doing everything possible to get rid of them. I know dozens of employees who have either been intimidated out of a job, displaced by injury, or fired on some trumped-up charge on the basis of the "management discretion" you mention. I'm also aware of employees who have been held in management offices all day against their will. FedEx has settled several suits out of court for illegally detaining people.

This is the system that Fred S is fighting so hard to maintain because it gives FedEx nearly total control over the employee. It's much more than just wages and benefits, it's a system that allows you to be let go at any time for nearly any reason. Unless you can afford to retain an attorney for at least a couple of years, you'll never prevail against the FedEx army of lawyers who will do everything in their power to delay your case and starve you out before you get your day in court.

Those 29 coal miners worked for a CEO that more than resembles Fred S. Mr.Blankenship, much like Mr Smith, has basically bought himself enough politicians (and judges) to ensure that he gets to always have it his way too at Massey Energy. Perhaps they should get together since they have so much in common with each other. Neither man gives a damn about people...they only care about PROFIT. Smith and Blankenship have successfully busted unions because our political system caters to individuals who have the means to buy themselves an advantage, just as Smith bought his RLA exemption and perpetuates it through political manipulation.

The policy against taping conversations is true. There is also a policy that disallows 3rd party representation (read lawyers) in personnel matters. Wonder why that is? I still tape conversations just so I can keep track of the details and the few times that management has tried to harass me I simply hand them the business card of my attorney, which I always keep in my wallet. It never goes any further.

The simple FACT is that FedEx is the most anti-union company in the United States outside of WalMart. It is a corrupt and immoral organization rotten from the top-down, with a CEO that probably belongs behind bars. I'm confident that Smith has plenty of illegal political deals that will eventually be exposed, bringing-down both himself and a few congressmen in the process.

So all of you FedEx lovers out there, please come out and defend your wonderful leader and company. Thanks for a great post, ex fed exer. You speak the truth.

SWORDFISH

This is not the environment of UPS Im familiar with. Sign me up.

SWORDFISH

You truly understand FedEx. There is no job security given the environment that exists there. I always love it when someone gets on here and starts raving about how "great" Fedex is and that they'd never want (or need) a union. Usually they've never been seriously injured on the job or run afoul of management, probably because they've got such brown noses. If they were to blow-out a knee or otherwise get injured to the extent that they can't perform their job, they'd quickly discover that their wonderful employer had turned the tables on them and was doing everything possible to get rid of them. I know dozens of employees who have either been intimidated out of a job, displaced by injury, or fired on some trumped-up charge on the basis of the "management discretion" you mention. I'm also aware of employees who have been held in management offices all day against their will. FedEx has settled several suits out of court for illegally detaining people.

This is the system that Fred S is fighting so hard to maintain because it gives FedEx nearly total control over the employee. It's much more than just wages and benefits, it's a system that allows you to be let go at any time for nearly any reason. Unless you can afford to retain an attorney for at least a couple of years, you'll never prevail against the FedEx army of lawyers who will do everything in their power to delay your case and starve you out before you get your day in court.

Those 29 coal miners worked for a CEO that more than resembles Fred S. Mr.Blankenship, much like Mr Smith, has basically bought himself enough politicians (and judges) to ensure that he gets to always have it his way too at Massey Energy. Perhaps they should get together since they have so much in common with each other. Neither man gives a damn about people...they only care about PROFIT. Smith and Blankenship have successfully busted unions because our political system caters to individuals who have the means to buy themselves an advantage, just as Smith bought his RLA exemption and perpetuates it through political manipulation.

The policy against taping conversations is true. There is also a policy that disallows 3rd party representation (read lawyers) in personnel matters. Wonder why that is? I still tape conversations just so I can keep track of the details and the few times that management has tried to harass me I simply hand them the business card of my attorney, which I always keep in my wallet. It never goes any further.

The simple FACT is that FedEx is the most anti-union company in the United States outside of WalMart. It is a corrupt and immoral organization rotten from the top-down, with a CEO that probably belongs behind bars. I'm confident that Smith has plenty of illegal political deals that will eventually be exposed, bringing-down both himself and a few congressmen in the process.

So all of you FedEx lovers out there, please come out and defend your wonderful leader and company. Thanks for a great post, ex fed exer. You speak the truth.

Im not educated on what you speak of but I do believe this kind of thing happens. For those kinds of people alls I have to say is you reap what you sow.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Im not educated on what you speak of but I do believe this kind of thing happens. For those kinds of people alls I have to say is you reap what you sow.

I'm not a particularly spiritual person, but I hope you're right in the case of Mr Blankenship and his "twin", Fred S. If there is a God, and a Heaven and Hell, both of these individuals belong in the latter. The flames in their rooms should be set on "high". Maybe Mr Blankenship will be assigned to the Mine Room at Satan's Inn. This goes far beyond just being liberal or conservative and either anti or pro-union. These two are just plain evil men. Ethics and morals aren't in either of their playbooks. They worship at the altar of the Almighty Dollar.

vantexan

Answer me this...10 yrs from now when wages reach $50.00 / hr would you be sending that pkg by USPS, FDX or UPS. I can see it now. You buy a CD for $9.95 on some online site and it will cost you $75.00 with shipping and handling. At that point UPS will go the way of REA, you won't have a pot to piss in and you can all gather to protest to the teamsters. But wait, the teamsters will no longer exist, without UPS membership the teamsters would also go the way of other dissolved unions.

If wages are at $50hr 10 years from now it'll be due to high inflation. If inflation continues as is wages most likely will be closer to $35hr if that much. I think most UPS employees realize there must be a balance between wages and profits to keep their company healthy. A healthy company means continued well paid employment. It may have taken a couple of strikes to get there, but from this outsider's view it appears to be working. One thing I don't think FedEx gets...higher pay translates into happy career employees. FedEx seems to think they can maintain profits with high turnover. When the long time employees are gone I think they will see much higher turnover as newhires soon realize there's no future there. I'm seeing some of that now but the company still has a core of long time employees who have either already earned a 20 something year pension or like me are stuck, being older in a bad economy. We'll all be gone soon enough, and appears the company thinks they can continue to attract new people by raising starting pay. And if they leave in say 5 years, not much harm done, the portable pension payout for a relative few years is minimal, and a cheaper newhire can save them some bucks on payroll. A union will certainly throw a monkeywrench into their plans. The thing is word will get around, especially with the internet, and it'll be hard to find enough people, let alone quality people, to deliver all those pkgs. I remember many years ago that UPS had a terrible reputation as an employer and FedEx was the place to be. What the hell happened?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Just IMO, having higher pay and less pension is a way of keeping the workforce evolving, young and hungry. When wages and pension/h&w contributions get considerably high like at UPS, the lifers come out.

vantexan

Just IMO, having higher pay and less pension is a way of keeping the workforce evolving, young and hungry. When wages and pension/h&w contributions get considerably high like at UPS, the lifers come out.

So if someone dedicates their life to the success of a business they shouldn't get rewarded for it? How old are you?

bbsam

Staff member
We have no job security and a minimal paycheck. Just where does that fall on your cost scale?

Doesn't really matter. It matters whether you or any other employee decides whether or not it is worth staying employed at that company.