been on both sides

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Doesn't really matter. It matters whether you or any other employee decides whether or not it is worth staying employed at that company.

It will be worth staying employed if we gain a decent wage and benefit package. That means a union, doesn't it?

vantexan

It sounds to me that "Just Numbers" ascribes to the sports team theory. Recruit the most physically capable, if they lose a step cut them loose, replace with someone who's "young and hungry." OK, pay me half a million a year and I'll step aside in 10 years. And if I perform better than others I want a performance bonus! And cheerleaders! Beautiful women in miniskirts cheering me on as I load my truck!

Seriously, Darwinian capitalism might sound good in theory, but it's no way to treat human beings. Besides, it's usually the dedicated professionals who've put in the years that perform the best. Most newhires these days don't seem that thrilled with what's asked of them. But then why should they, doesn't take long to figure it's not the bright future they thought it would be.

D

Dis-organized Labor

What really matters anymore?

UPS was a better company to work for in the old days. Stable; predicable; honorable (still is); old school........................

Get yours and protect it!

Union Guys: Just Work As Directed..............JWAD

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
This is where the largest descepency between the idea of a company of workers and a company of employees. FedEx has workers, UPS has employees. There was talk of $50 an hour in 10 years, well lets see UPS is over 103 years old and we are at $30 an hour according to my math we wont hit $50 untill sometime around 2078 give or take a year. Now to employees and workers UPS employees for the most part are far more involved with the viability of our compnay, we realize that we are all in this boat that will either float or sink, taking us all down with it.

FedEx on the other hand has workers that at Ground and H.D. are not even recognized, and at Express seem to be devided. I have not had the pleasure of meeting all of them but the ones that I have do not seem to like the direction that FedEx is headed.

One simple question is all that is needed, is it a job or a career. UPS provides you with a career does FedEx?

vantexan

This is where the largest descepency between the idea of a company of workers and a company of employees. FedEx has workers, UPS has employees. There was talk of $50 an hour in 10 years, well lets see UPS is over 103 years old and we are at $30 an hour according to my math we wont hit $50 untill sometime around 2078 give or take a year. Now to employees and workers UPS employees for the most part are far more involved with the viability of our compnay, we realize that we are all in this boat that will either float or sink, taking us all down with it.

FedEx on the other hand has workers that at Ground and H.D. are not even recognized, and at Express seem to be devided. I have not had the pleasure of meeting all of them but the ones that I have do not seem to like the direction that FedEx is headed.

One simple question is all that is needed, is it a job or a career. UPS provides you with a career does FedEx?

FedEx provides us with a career. Oops, sorry, meant a kick in the rear!

It sounds to me that "Just Numbers" ascribes to the sports team theory. Recruit the most physically capable, if they lose a step cut them loose, replace with someone who's "young and hungry." OK, pay me half a million a year and I'll step aside in 10 years. And if I perform better than others I want a performance bonus! And cheerleaders! Beautiful women in miniskirts cheering me on as I load my truck!

Seriously, Darwinian capitalism might sound good in theory, but it's no way to treat human beings. Besides, it's usually the dedicated professionals who've put in the years that perform the best. Most newhires these days don't seem that thrilled with what's asked of them. But then why should they, doesn't take long to figure it's not the bright future they thought it would be.

Where did you come up with all this garbage. Treat human beings the same way you want to be treated. All I'm saying is that there is a cost to doing business but, there is also a cost tipping point where you cease to be competitive in price. When was the last time you sent a pkg by UPS...did your eyes bug out when you saw the cost.

vantexan

Where did you come up with all this garbage. Treat human beings the same way you want to be treated. All I'm saying is that there is a cost to doing business but, there is also a cost tipping point where you cease to be competitive in price. When was the last time you sent a pkg by UPS...did your eyes bug out when you saw the cost.

Is UPS no longer competitive with FedEx? Considering the money they pay drivers, plus the benefits, it's amazing that their profit was much higher than expected this last quarter. Someone is shipping with them.

SWORDFISH

This post is hard to read. No disrespect meant. Trying to understand what your saying.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I ordered a new lunch bag from the UPS Collection. The bag itself was $8.95. The total bill was over $19.

I think every UPSer needs to learn the meaning of the word concession come 2013, whether it be in wages or paying for a portion of our healthcare of a wage freeze in lieu of doing so. Something has to give in order for us to remain competitive--we can't rely on the poor service at FedEx Ground to do this for us.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
I am with upstate on this. I will NOT take a pay cut, I will NOT pay for my insurance (at this point) but a wage FREEZE is something I could do for the next 5 years.

SWORDFISH

I ordered a new lunch bag from the UPS Collection. The bag itself was $8.95. The total bill was over $19.

I think every UPSer needs to learn the meaning of the word concession come 2013, whether it be in wages or paying for a portion of our healthcare of a wage freeze in lieu of doing so. Something has to give in order for us to remain competitive--we can't rely on the poor service at FedEx Ground to do this for us.

Im glad your not on our negotiating committee. I dont see Scott Davis, the most over payed UPSER taking a pay freeze($6+million/year are you kidding me). People are buying to much into what supes are preaching. Misleading peoples thoughts in this day and age isnt lying I forgot. They just tell you what upper UPS wants you to think. The small minds follow along. When UPS stops waisting money on spying, harrassing, violating the contract and anything else you can think of then you wont even have to think about taking a pay cut because they just saved alot of money right there. Bottom line UPS wants to waste the money on themselves and get us to volunteer to work for free.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Or could it be that I am able to think on my own and that I am able to take in to account the current economic picture when forming my own opinion? We will be at $32/hr plus benefits when this contract expires. We are nearing a cost point where we may begin to lose our competitive edge. Our society is becoming increasingly anti-union so the prospect of a work stoppage is not appealing. Talk to the drivers at Waste Management and see what kind of reception they are getting on their current work stoppage. Paying for a portion of our healthcare is coming. You can say that I have a "small mind" but perhaps it is you who needs to remove his Union blinders and get the big picture.

SWORDFISH

Or could it be that I am able to think on my own and that I am able to take in to account the current economic picture when forming my own opinion? We will be at $32/hr plus benefits when this contract expires. We are nearing a cost point where we may begin to lose our competitive edge. Our society is becoming increasingly anti-union so the prospect of a work stoppage is not appealing. Talk to the drivers at Waste Management and see what kind of reception they are getting on their current work stoppage. Paying for a portion of our healthcare is coming. You can say that I have a "small mind" but perhaps it is you who needs to remove his Union blinders and get the big picture.

The small mind comment was not directed at you unless it fits you. I dont know you well enough to say. I dont mind a work stoppage. The union is only weakening because 60% of the workforce has no backbone(unfortunately some of those include people that work for teamsters). Those peoples grandfathers are turning over in their graves along w/ Jim Casey. Its sad that what your saying is probably right but I will go down fighting.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Lets examine this argument, we started on the benefits of working for UPS opose to the ones at FedEx. Well how about this, UPS employees are generiously compensated, FedEx employees are not. How ever both companies seem to make a handsome profit. So what I'm saying is apparently at FedEx the employees should just be lucky to have a pay check. You guys don't deserve anything else so don't even bother asking for it, unless of course you are a pilot.

My point is that I'm not saying that the union is the answer to every problem that exist, but by examining the situation with FedEx pilots, its easy to see that a union is apparently what you need. As far as layoffs and wage and benefit concessions, well news flash for you there are a heck of a lot more employees in non-union jobs taking them then union jobs. A recession effects everyone not just union companies.

FedEx reminds me of illegal alliens, instead of having the balls to fight their own corrupt government in Mexico, they would rather march in U.S. streets telling us how bad we treat them. Instead of FedEx employees trying to bring us down to them, why dont you see the forest through the trees, and see that your getting screwed by your OWN company!

SWORDFISH

Lets examine this argument, we started on the benefits of working for UPS opose to the ones at FedEx. Well how about this, UPS employees are generiously compensated, FedEx employees are not. How ever both companies seem to make a handsome profit. So what I'm saying is apparently at FedEx the employees should just be lucky to have a pay check. You guys don't deserve anything else so don't even bother asking for it, unless of course you are a pilot.

My point is that I'm not saying that the union is the answer to every problem that exist, but by examining the situation with FedEx pilots, its easy to see that a union is apparently what you need. As far as layoffs and wage and benefit concessions, well news flash for you there are a heck of a lot more employees in non-union jobs taking them then union jobs. A recession effects everyone not just union companies.

FedEx reminds me of illegal alliens, instead of having the balls to fight their own corrupt government in Mexico, they would rather march in U.S. streets telling us how bad we treat them. Instead of FedEx employees trying to bring us down to them, why dont you see the forest through the trees, and see that your getting screwed by your OWN company!

Sign me up Im convinced!