been on both sides

vantexan

Lets examine this argument, we started on the benefits of working for UPS opose to the ones at FedEx. Well how about this, UPS employees are generiously compensated, FedEx employees are not. How ever both companies seem to make a handsome profit. So what I'm saying is apparently at FedEx the employees should just be lucky to have a pay check. You guys don't deserve anything else so don't even bother asking for it, unless of course you are a pilot.

My point is that I'm not saying that the union is the answer to every problem that exist, but by examining the situation with FedEx pilots, its easy to see that a union is apparently what you need. As far as layoffs and wage and benefit concessions, well news flash for you there are a heck of a lot more employees in non-union jobs taking them then union jobs. A recession effects everyone not just union companies.

FedEx reminds me of illegal alliens, instead of having the balls to fight their own corrupt government in Mexico, they would rather march in U.S. streets telling us how bad we treat them. Instead of FedEx employees trying to bring us down to them, why dont you see the forest through the trees, and see that your getting screwed by your OWN company!

Are you serious? UPS was unionized when unions were very strong in this country. When FedEx first started they compensated employees well and gave great benefits. When they made the decision to start restricting pay and take away benefits they made sure that they could get away with it by lobbying Congress to get FedEx classified under laws that greatly diminish our ability to unionize. Aren't you aware of this? Where do you get the idea that FedEx EMPLOYEES are trying to bring UPS down to our level? Anyone on this board suggesting such is a ringer for FedEx management. Oh they'll protest otherwise, but actually they do have something in common with you. They admire the UPS color scheme. Don't believe me? Check out the brown on their noses....

SWORDFISH

Are you serious? UPS was unionized when unions were very strong in this country. When FedEx first started they compensated employees well and gave great benefits. When they made the decision to start restricting pay and take away benefits they made sure that they could get away with it by lobbying Congress to get FedEx classified under laws that greatly diminish our ability to unionize. Aren't you aware of this? Where do you get the idea that FedEx EMPLOYEES are trying to bring UPS down to our level? Anyone on this board suggesting such is a ringer for FedEx management. Oh they'll protest otherwise, but actually they do have something in common with you. They admire the UPS color scheme. Don't believe me? Check out the brown on their noses....

Sounds like corperate america. Keep all the money at the top. As for those who actually make the money for the company you get the bones. Americas greed is colapsing itself.

jimstud

Banned
I ordered a new lunch bag from the UPS Collection. The bag itself was $8.95. The total bill was over $19.

I think every UPSer needs to learn the meaning of the word concession come 2013, whether it be in wages or paying for a portion of our healthcare of a wage freeze in lieu of doing so. Something has to give in order for us to remain competitive--we can't rely on the poor service at FedEx Ground to do this for us.
i personally don't like you but that is neither here nor there but if ups' profit margine is growing each year (like it did last year in a down economy ) don't we still deserve a raise ? if upper management sees fit to give thenselves raises shouldn"t the workers expect the same?if the profits do not increase i would have no problem with a wage freeze.

vantexan

i personally don't like you but that is neither here nor there but if ups' profit margine is growing each year (like it did last year in a down economy ) don't we still deserve a raise ? if upper management sees fit to give thenselves raises shouldn"t the workers expect the same?if the profits do not increase i would have no problem with a wage freeze.

I really don't care how much someone else has as long as I'm paid well for my efforts. But there has to be a point where I have to say I've got enough, and let the rich be rich. The point of capitalism is to reward those who produce, who take risks. If I start saying I resent him having more than me then I'd be demonstrating exactly what FedEx mgmt fears, that if we get a union there will be no end to our demands for more and more. And certainly plenty of industries have been ruined by greedy unions. It's a 2 way street and everyone needs to be responsible. Pay employees enough, and if an employee wants more then go into mgmt. Pay employees too little, and it raises morality issues being in mgmt. Pay employees too much, eventually it'll ruin the company. From my view at $17.09hr after 11 years, UPS employees are very well rewarded. If they keep pushing for more they'll ruin a very good thing.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
I appologize if you took offense, I know my statement seems like Im generalizing, I know some FDX employees see the truth, but most seem to be blinded with the assumption that UPS employees are over paid and that the all mighty FDX pays their employees just right. Also I would suggest reading a book called Big Brown, in it you can read how Jim Casey invited the union down to UPS to represent his employees. Contrary to your beleif the union environment then was not at all as rosey as you seem to think. Unlike Fred S, Jim Casey felt that his employees are just as much responsible for UPS profits as the management, thus they should feel that they are properly compensated.

vantexan

I appologize if you took offense, I know my statement seems like Im generalizing, I know some FDX employees see the truth, but most seem to be blinded with the assumption that UPS employees are over paid and that the all mighty FDX pays their employees just right. Also I would suggest reading a book called Big Brown, in it you can read how Jim Casey invited the union down to UPS to represent his employees. Contrary to your beleif the union environment then was not at all as rosey as you seem to think. Unlike Fred S, Jim Casey felt that his employees are just as much responsible for UPS profits as the management, thus they should feel that they are properly compensated.

I never said it was rosey. But union membership was much higher than today, and they had greater influence back then. And the better pay and benefits they got in the early days(I'm speaking of unions in general) was literally fought for. The reason that so many people in non-union jobs today enjoy decent pay and benefits is that companies realized to keep unions out they had to do better by their employees. But due to union greed and corruption in some industries, public sentiment turned against unions. They aren't aware of the sacrifices made that allowed them to have their great pay and benefits in non-union jobs. Now corporations sense that they have the upper hand, and across the board we are seeing lower pay and fewer benefits. The corporations will argue that due to a changing marketplace they had to do such. But often it was due to corporations taking jobs offshore to increase profits for themselves. Unions will point that out, but they had a huge hand in pushing jobs offshore. Alot of greed to go around, and now we are paying a price for it. UPS is one of the few large corporations left where if a person is willing to work hard they can do well. I hope UPS employees don't take that for granted. Jim Casey sounds like a great man. Another leader I admire was Milton Hershey. We need more leaders like that who are patriotic first. I think you've got the wrong impression about most FedEx employees however. And if given the opportunity to unionize I think you'll be surprised how many vote for a union.

Last edited:

vantexan

Didn't Hershey sell out to Nestle a few years ago?

Don't know what i was thinking, it was Milton Hershey. He was renowned for taking good care of his employees. Some accountants once tried to talk him into buying machines that could do the work of 30 men. He told them to hire the men instead.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Jim Casey understood how important front-line employees were to the success of UPS. Fred S talks about it, but clearly has zero respect for his couriers and RTD's.Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there still a rule at UPS that managers can't eat or have coffee at their desks out of respect for the package car and feeder drivers?

SWORDFISH

Why does UPS management deserve alot of money? None of them own or started the company. You want to start looking at an over inflated salary look at the CEO. UPS management is taking no more risk than we are and they defintely only work at harassing their workers in alot of cases. The worker bees bring in the $$$$$$$$$$. UPS is a great company because it provides that workers actually make some money compared to a place like wall mart where the pigs at the top hog the money while their workers barely survive.

Why does UPS management deserve alot of money? None of them own or started the company. You want to start looking at an over inflated salary look at the CEO. UPS management is taking no more risk than we are and they defintely only work at harassing their workers in alot of cases. The worker bees bring in the $$$$$$$$$$. UPS is a great company because it provides that workers actually make some money compared to a place like wall mart where the pigs at the top hog the money while their workers barely survive.

Do you own any stock in UPS?

Since you do not own stock you are taking no risk whatsoever.