Being accused of hitting a dog- On Topic

Rack em

Made the Podium
So today I was on a split route that has stops off of 3 different rural routes. I have covered the routes before so I have delivered all these stops before and never had any problems. This particular address I have delivered to maybe 10 times in the past with no problems. I remember in the past them having a super friendly German shepherd but that's it, but today there was a medium sized dog and a small baby bulldog. They have a long driveway maybe 300 yards from the road but it loops around. Well today there was a truck and 2 other vehicles blocking the loop so I just headed down the left side and planned on doing like a 5 point turn by their garage.

Well I get about 50 yards from their house and these 2 dogs come running up to my truck which I am used to and have experienced it hundreds of times at other stops. The medium sized dog kept a few feet away so I still kept my eye on him, but the little bulldog was running up to the tires and barking non stop. So I crept up going as slow as possible and whenever the bulldog would run to the tires I would stop and wait until I could see him again before moving forward. I stopped and got out of my truck I think 3 times trying to shoo the dogs away from my truck. The whole time I was laying on the horn to scare the dogs away but also so someone would come outside and either get their packages or to call their dogs away from my truck, but that never happened.

I realized I wouldn't be able to turn around at their house with the dogs running up to the truck because I didn't want to accidentally hit one or hit something else because I would be too focused on the dogs. So I just went in reverse for about 100 feet or so until the dogs quit barking and running at my truck. I turned around on a patch of dead grass because I wasn't about to back up 300 some yards and as I started to drive away BOTH dogs started running again, so I sped up so they couldn't catch me and get in front of my truck again. When I got to the end of their driveway, their neighbor was just pulling out too. So I talked to her, told her the situation, and asked her if I should just leave them at their mailbox. She said she didn't know, so to be safe I just NI1'd them. I left at info notice ON THEIR MAILBOX and wrote on it "Could not drive around because of your dogs and I didn't want to hit them"

This happened I think around 3:40ish and I get back to the building a little after 6:00 and I get pulled into the office to read over a customer concern. It says I hit their dog and broke its leg. My supervisor defended me and didn't accuse me of doing anything but they have to investigate it obviously. They didn't charge me with an accident...yet. Apparently these super concerned people didn't even take their dog to the vet and are waiting to take it there tomorrow, even though there is a vet less than 15 minutes away from their house. So my supervisor said they are going to see what the vet says and check my telematics. But I know these people are full of :censored2: because...

1. I am 99% positive I didn't hit any dog because if I would have it would have definitely yelped, especially if it's leg broke. Plus it would have limped away instead of still running around my truck

2. If somehow I did hit it, there is no way it would have ONLY suffered a broken leg.

3. I watched BOTH dogs running at my truck after I turned around as was driving away.

4. My supervisor spoke to the guy on the phone and the guy said he heard the truck and went outside even though he never came outside especially while I was laying on the horn.

5. He also said he took the info notice off his DOOR but I left it over 300 yards away on his MAILBOX.

6. I talked to the driver who normally delivers there and he said he constantly has the same problem with their dogs and he's talked to them about it. On top of that he even had a supervisor riding with him either earlier this week or sometime last week and this happened with a supervisor witnessing it.

So I'm thinking the people are making this up because they are mad I NI1'd their packages? I mean who doesn't take their dog to the vet ASAP if it's leg is broke? If ups tries to charge me with an accident for this I will fight it as long as I can because this is bull:censored2:! I did everything I could do in the situation, but I can't help if a stupid dog in running at my tires. An ex shop steward was in the office with me because our shop steward wasn't there when I got back to the building, and he said there is no way the should try to charge me with an accident for this. He also said this address better a permanent will call now.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I wouldn't worry about. Ask these people if they've ever heard of leash laws also.
This happened out in the country so I don't know if the leash law applies? But you know ups, they will want it swept under the rug even if that means writing them a check. And if it costs ups money then they want someone disciplined for it.

Boulevard859710

I don't think dogs are allowed to run loose anywhere because they can hurt and bite people. UPS should make them come and pick up all their stuff at the center from now on if they want to pursue this.

rod

Retired 22 years
Even in the country usually the County or Township or Parrish has laws on the books that say a homeowner must keep their dogs animals) under control at all times.

moldsporh

They invited you onto their property by ordering a package via UPS.

Call the police or animal control and tell them they said they have a dog with a "broken leg" that they aren't taking to the vet for treatment.

Turn this around on them.

Indecisi0n

You know they are going to try and nail you to the wall with your telematics report. If you did everything you said in your original post the report will show you as driving erratic. Hopefully it works out for you.
#puglivesmatter

DOK

So today I was on a split route that has stops off of 3 different rural routes. I have covered the routes before so I have delivered all these stops before and never had any problems. This particular address I have delivered to maybe 10 times in the past with no problems. I remember in the past them having a super friendly German shepherd but that's it, but today there was a medium sized dog and a small baby bulldog. They have a long driveway maybe 300 yards from the road but it loops around. Well today there was a truck and 2 other vehicles blocking the loop so I just headed down the left side and planned on doing like a 5 point turn by their garage.

Well I get about 50 yards from their house and these 2 dogs come running up to my truck which I am used to and have experienced it hundreds of times at other stops. The medium sized dog kept a few feet away so I still kept my eye on him, but the little bulldog was running up to the tires and barking non stop. So I crept up going as slow as possible and whenever the bulldog would run to the tires I would stop and wait until I could see him again before moving forward. I stopped and got out of my truck I think 3 times trying to shoo the dogs away from my truck. The whole time I was laying on the horn to scare the dogs away but also so someone would come outside and either get their packages or to call their dogs away from my truck, but that never happened.

I realized I wouldn't be able to turn around at their house with the dogs running up to the truck because I didn't want to accidentally hit one or hit something else because I would be too focused on the dogs. So I just went in reverse for about 100 feet or so until the dogs quit barking and running at my truck. I turned around on a patch of dead grass because I wasn't about to back up 300 some yards and as I started to drive away BOTH dogs started running again, so I sped up so they couldn't catch me and get in front of my truck again. When I got to the end of their driveway, their neighbor was just pulling out too. So I talked to her, told her the situation, and asked her if I should just leave them at their mailbox. She said she didn't know, so to be safe I just NI1'd them. I left at info notice ON THEIR MAILBOX and wrote on it "Could not drive around because of your dogs and I didn't want to hit them"

This happened I think around 3:40ish and I get back to the building a little after 6:00 and I get pulled into the office to read over a customer concern. It says I hit their dog and broke its leg. My supervisor defended me and didn't accuse me of doing anything but they have to investigate it obviously. They didn't charge me with an accident...yet. Apparently these super concerned people didn't even take their dog to the vet and are waiting to take it there tomorrow, even though there is a vet less than 15 minutes away from their house. So my supervisor said they are going to see what the vet says and check my telematics. But I know these people are full of :censored2: because...

1. I am 99% positive I didn't hit any dog because if I would have it would have definitely yelped, especially if it's leg broke. Plus it would have limped away instead of still running around my truck

2. If somehow I did hit it, there is no way it would have ONLY suffered a broken leg.

3. I watched BOTH dogs running at my truck after I turned around as was driving away.

4. My supervisor spoke to the guy on the phone and the guy said he heard the truck and went outside even though he never came outside especially while I was laying on the horn.

5. He also said he took the info notice off his DOOR but I left it over 300 yards away on his MAILBOX.

6. I talked to the driver who normally delivers there and he said he constantly has the same problem with their dogs and he's talked to them about it. On top of that he even had a supervisor riding with him either earlier this week or sometime last week and this happened with a supervisor witnessing it.

So I'm thinking the people are making this up because they are mad I NI1'd their packages? I mean who doesn't take their dog to the vet ASAP if it's leg is broke? If ups tries to charge me with an accident for this I will fight it as long as I can because this is bull:censored2:! I did everything I could do in the situation, but I can't help if a stupid dog in running at my tires. An ex shop steward was in the office with me because our shop steward wasn't there when I got back to the building, and he said there is no way the should try to charge me with an accident for this. He also said this address better a permanent will call now.
Tell them they can come pick up their packages at the center from now on.

WorknLateHuh

I have first hand experience with customers trying to get a free handout from UPS by lying, and i believe this scenario is 1 of them. They want a big fat check for a non-existant vet visit

The biggest point to be made here is that the dog was running around perfectly fine when you left.

The customer's story sounds all turned around, and made up bull:censored2:. However, allow for the possibility that another carrier/vehicle drove in there later in the day, hit the dog, and wasnt reported.

rss13

Leash laws do not apply on private property.
Not true in the county I live in. I got bit last year am private property and the owners were charged with not having the dog properly secured. Here dogs either have to be tied up, in a kennel, or inside. That being said, no one does it.

Overpaid Union Thug

You know they are going to try and nail you to the wall with your telematics report. If you did everything you said in your original post the report will show you as driving erratic. Hopefully it works out for you.
#puglivesmatter
300 yards? That is the length of 3 football fields.

His erratic driving may come back to bite him in the butt.
If it happened like he said then there was no erratic driving.
Not true in the county I live in. I got bit last year am private property and the owners were charged with not having the dog properly secured. Here dogs either have to be tied up, in a kennel, or inside. That being said, no one does it.

Depends on the state. In Tennessee we don't have leash laws but the dogs have to be under control, not wondering on to other properties, and not known to be dangerous. Personally speaking I try to stay avoid these situations. If I was the OP I would have got outta there as soon as I saw the dogs out. Then had the center inform them that deliveries will not be attempted while the dogs are out.

Indecisi0n

If it happened like he said then there was no erratic driving.

Depends on the state. In Tennessee we don't have leash laws but the dogs have to be under control, not wondering on to other properties, and not known to be dangerous. Personally speaking I try to stay avoid these situations. If I was the OP I would have got outta there as soon as I saw the dogs out. Then had the center inform them that deliveries will not be attempted while the dogs are out.
Multi hits of the brake. Stop the package car and starting it multiple times. Turning around on the grass then speeding down the driveway to exit. Brah....

The first thing they are going to say was why didn't you walk it? I don't care how long a driveway is, if I can't see the house I don't drive down the driveway.

Overpaid Union Thug

Multi hits of the brake. Stop the package car and starting it multiple times. Turning around on the grass then speeding down the driveway to exit. Brah....

The first thing they are going to say was why didn't you walk it? I don't care how long a driveway is, if I can't see the house I don't drive down the driveway.
You are ASSUMING he was speeding. And hitting the breaks doesn't prove anything unless it was "harsh breaking". Do you expect him to not hit the breaks and just plow through everything?

Turning the truck off is not a violation. In fact....with the current push on telematics they will look look idiots of they even mention that. Either they don't want idling or they do. Can't have both.

In my center 300 yards is well beyond the length we are expected to walk. The guy wasn't driving erratically. Should he have turned around at the first sign the dogs were out? Yes. But that would require applying the breaks several times. So I guess he'd be stuck there if he followed your standards....BRAH! LOL

Rack em

Made the Podium

I had to brake multiple times because a dog was running at my tires! I never turned the car off, I only put it in park and get out to try to get the dogs away. Yes I turned around on some dead grass but that isn't a big deal. And yes I sped away so the dogs wouldn't catch up and start the process all over.