being asked to work off the clock

raceanoncr

If helping out when asked makes someone a kiss ass then please send me some lip balm. I have been asked on several occasions to deliver a LIB on my way home. Have always said yes. Does that make me less of a man?

Well, we need more people like you, enabling the company. We need more people helping the company avoid accountability.

Was it ME that caused that LIB to be there til, what, 1730,1830,1900, what time was it? If it was, then I should be held accountable. Somebody, somewhere dropped the ball here!

Could it be the unload supe that is supposed to visually inspect every trailer that's emptied before it leaves the door? Could it be the yard check person that supposed to visually check each and every trailer in that yard before the shift is over? Could it be the hub area shift supe that was supposed to make sure their area was clean? Could it be the preload supe that was supposed to make sure all parcels in the building were on-car? Could it be the hub manager that is supposed to make sure all his/her supes have done their job? Could it be the supes and managers that were in the building all day and could have made earlier arrangements to have this parcel delivered? On and On!

Who's held accountable for this LIB? It looks like nobody! Nothing's on paper, no harm, no foul! The management "team" comes out smelling like lilacs and roses again because we bailed them out!

What is it tomorrow? 2 LIBs? 3? We get dinged for a "missed" and WE GET DINGED! They get dinged for LIB, well, no, they didn't get dinged. We are enabling their lack of accountablity.

One of the posters brought up the scenario that what if we took that home with us in our personal car, let's see, no scan, no record, no address, no nuttin and some savvy customer gets the brilliant idea that they DIDN'T receive parcel. You fluffed it off as if he didn't know the whole story. Well, OK, I don't either! BUT! I have seen many in my years here that thought they were helping the center, hub, company only to have one incident, ONE incident, and they were gone forever! I hate to see that of anyone.

I think you've seen alot here too, but, remember, this is a corporation and if push comes to shove, you're the one that'll get shoved.

A

anonymous6

The beauty of an Internet forum is the ability to learn from some members and ignore others. I will choose to ignore you as you clearly have no idea of the situation or what you are talking about.

I was thinking almost the same thing as the other poster. What if you got in an accident while doing a delivery off the clock? and in your personal vehicle.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was thinking almost the same thing as the other poster. What if you got in an accident while doing a delivery off the clock? and in your personal vehicle.

It would be handled in the same manner as any other accident in a personal vehicle. The fact that I am dropping off a package on the way home would not change the situation one bit as I am not on the clock and UPS would have no involvement whatsoever.

This doesn't happen very often and I understand your point(s) but I will continue to do this if asked. It's just the way I roll.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity

It would be handled in the same manner as any other accident in a personal vehicle. The fact that I am dropping off a package on the way home would not change the situation one bit as I am not on the clock and UPS would have no involvement whatsoever.

This doesn't happen very often and I understand your point(s) but I will continue to do this if asked. It's just the way I roll.

Ask your auto insurance provider how they would handle an accident in your personal vehicle, while performing UPS work.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity

Ask your auto insurance provider how they would handle an accident in your personal vehicle, while performing UPS work.

Eclipz

In 2 occasions I've made a delivery after work. I missed the packages on my run and the dispatcher told me that the receivers wanted their packages badly. I've offered to deliver them on my way home but all in agreement of the receiver and dispatch so if anything would go wrong it wouldn't be my responsibility alone.

I don't know if I would've done it if someone else missed a package but once I've punched out and all set to go home there's no way a sup. or anyone else who can hold me to do something off the clock.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I got off the road this evening and noticed that there was a NDA for one of my neighbors at the end of the belt, which is where all of the NDA send agains go. This pkg had Refrigerate Upon Receipt on it so I asked my on-car if he would like me to run this off on the way home and he said yes. It did show late in my DIAD but won't show late in the system as it had already been attempted that morning. My neighbor thanked me for taking care of her. This is why I do this.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Upstate

A good sup will tell you "hey, this got missed, or what ever the situation is. Can you deliver it on your way home. I'll add 15 minutes to your day to compensate for that delivery". He will not ask you to run packages for people off the clock without payment.

As for the next day air for your neighbor, you are being a neighbor, not a UPS man. You signed for the package and took it to your neighbor, just like if you had been home when the UPS man tried to deliver it the first time.

The problem with many drivers is twofold.

First, they get walked over by sups over time, and it becomes a daily thing to deliver packages "on your way home". It ends up getting abused.

Secondly, many drivers that are on the same route develop relationships with the customer that goes past just delivery of packages. You make friends, some end up lifetime friends. Where do you draw the line........

Best thing is to get some compensation for the delivery, and get the person to sign for the package, or at least document where you left it. I have seen things come back to bite the good Samaritan.

d

If you were to get hurt; into an accident while delivering said package YOU and your SUP would be FIRED and then likely SUED!!

Last edited by a moderator:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Upstate

A good sup will tell you "hey, this got missed, or what ever the situation is. Can you deliver it on your way home. I'll add 15 minutes to your day to compensate for that delivery". He will not ask you to run packages for people off the clock without payment.

As for the next day air for your neighbor, you are being a neighbor, not a UPS man. You signed for the package and took it to your neighbor, just like if you had been home when the UPS man tried to deliver it the first time.

The problem with many drivers is twofold.

First, they get walked over by sups over time, and it becomes a daily thing to deliver packages "on your way home". It ends up getting abused.

Secondly, many drivers that are on the same route develop relationships with the customer that goes past just delivery of packages. You make friends, some end up lifetime friends. Where do you draw the line........

Best thing is to get some compensation for the delivery, and get the person to sign for the package, or at least document where you left it. I have seen things come back to bite the good Samaritan.

d
I have del pkgs on my way home. I have stopped and checked on a customer concern on my way home (misdel.). I have no problem doing this and I have always been compensated for my time. It happens very rarely, though. I have also signed for pkgs for friend who lives in an extremely rural location and who is frequently out of town. When the friend is back in town we meet and transfer the pkgs. To date, I have never had a problem with this either.

It is funny that you bring up friends in this situation. I was just recently (very recently) discussing this same thing with my friend. It happens all the time. Even in BC. You talk to the same person everyday. The conversation goes from strictly business to personal. Nothing serious, just, 'hey how's the wife/husband, how's the kids, how's the old car coming, etc?'. Pretty soon you have a friend. My friends mean alot to me and I try to take extra care in letting them know that. Even my friends in here.

Drawing the line? What line, there isn't any defined line anymore. I know I take extra care of my customers that I have established a rapport with. It is a step above 'just doing the job'.

TheKid

I am a steward in my building and recently had the opportunity to speak with the president of another (larger) local. His quote to me was..."as soon as they put a cross on the front of that building...you can start doing charity work." It does not have to be done in a confrontational manner but I am at UPS for one basic reason....to make $$$ so I can provide for my family. I show up every day and bust my a&% and expect to get paid for working....pure and simple.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
This pkg had Refrigerate Upon Receipt on it

I would have taken that package, walk to the break room and put it in the company's refrigerator alongside all the clerks lunches. There is no way in hell anyone should be doing UPS work off the clock.

As one poster mentioned, its management's problem.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would have taken that package, walk to the break room and put it in the company's refrigerator alongside all the clerks lunches. There is no way in hell anyone should be doing UPS work off the clock. As one poster mentioned, its management's problem.

I do not come here looking for justification for why I do the job the way that I do it. I do not need words in a contract to tell me if what I am doing is right or wrong. The pkg was NDA for a neighbor in the same condo complex that had refrigerate upon receipt on it so it's not as though I had to go out of my my way to deliver it. I just happened to see the pkg at the end of our belt and did what I thought was the right thing. It takes me about 10 minutes to get home and it was OT so 10 min @ $44/hr which is just over $7--I'm pretty sure I'll survive. The neighbor was very thankful that I took care of her which is all that really mattered.

BTW, we don't have a refrigerator in our bldg so this pkg would have sat until the following morning.

over9five

Staff member
I would have also grabbed a package I saw for my neighbor. I would have signed for it at the building, and then punched out.
It's the neighborly thing to do...