Being called back to the building?

Re: Being called back tot he building?

Happened to me once also and it was the last time, just tell them you are on your second beer and they can't force you in.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll

You had an 8 hour day they couldn't guarantee? Once they approve a request load it's a done deal, if they don't adjust the load you come in after 8 case closed. Being a cover driver or a bid route driver makes no difference. Besides that fact that you shouldn't have answered your phone, why do they have your number? One more point, you violated the contract by going home "over" so why should they honor the contract if we don't? Just my thoughts. (don't let the "1" post on my profile fool you, I got hacked and had to create new a account)

This is the kind of advice that NOBODY should pay attention too! This will get you FIRED. An 8 hour request is just that, A REQUEST.

Even if approved, the contract states that you must COMPLETE THE DISPATCH regardless if it extends passed the 8 hours REQUEST. The remedy is a monetary remedy. There is NO PROVISION that allows you to COME IN before you have completed the dispatch.

Secondly, who in their right minds allows a cover driver to apply for an 8 hour request? There are not included with center drivers and do not qualify for the 8 hour requests.

8 hour requests are for full time loop drivers who need to be relieved of overtime and the COVER DRIVER is the help to get that done. Whoever the operator is that approved this request needs to have his credentials checked or his head examined.

Sorry brother, but you ARE THE HELP.

Peace

TOS

oldtymer

You violated the contract by reporting for work and then went home, once you report you are guaranteed the opportunity to earn no less than 8 hours. If they send you home you are entitled to 4 hours report pay. Are you on the "extra" list that needs to be posted on Thursday night of each week? If you aren't then you can't be sent home "extra", they gave you day out of convenience for them not for you, now you either lost a days pay or burned a sick/oph when you didn't want to. In 3 months when you happen to call in sick they will turn to your attendence and say you have an attendence problem. Seen it many times in my 14 plus years as a steward and 23 plus on the job. Being a cover driver has no bearing on a request load, once approved it's approved end of story.

Johney

You violated the contract by reporting for work and then went home, once you report you are guaranteed the opportunity to earn no less than 8 hours. If they send you home you are entitled to 4 hours report pay. Are you on the "extra" list that needs to be posted on Thursday night of each week? If you aren't then you can't be sent home "extra", they gave you day out of convenience for them not for you, now you either lost a days pay or burned a sick/oph when you didn't want to. In 3 months when you happen to call in sick they will turn to your attendence and say you have an attendence problem. Seen it many times in my 14 plus years as a steward and 23 plus on the job. Being a cover driver has no bearing on a request load, once approved it's approved end of story.
We have drivers go home voluntarily almost everyday. Extra list? What is that? We have a staffing list and it shows who's extra for that day. This list changes from day to day.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll

I requested an 8 HOPING to get the day off, seeing as I'm all out of paid days. I have no attendance problem, when I am not scheduled, I will seldom force the issue

Buck Fifty

ok here is some good advice. Put the centers number in as a DO NOT ANSWER in you phone. If you are a big enough tool and you answer it anyway tell them you are at the bar having a shot and a beer. You are also waiti g for some good ass .

Fixed it for ya !!!

oldtymer

Local 804 in NYC has in our supplement language stating that 10% of employees (bottom 10%) are on the "extra" list each Thursday when start times are posted, unless they notify you the night before not to report for work you will recieve 4 hours report pay if they don't work you. Our start times are posted on Thursday for the following week and cannot be changed mid-week. And just so you understand how the company thinks, you stated that you do not have an attendance problem yet you have exceeded your total amount of paid days off, that, in their eyes is an attendence problem if they want to stick it to you. Remember, they are not your friend.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Secondly, who in their right minds allows a cover driver to apply for an 8 hour request? There are not included with center drivers and do not qualify for the 8 hour requests.

8 hour requests are for full time loop drivers who need to be relieved of overtime and the COVER DRIVER is the help to get that done. Whoever the operator is that approved this request needs to have his credentials checked or his head examined.

Peace

TOS

As a full time driver, how am I NOT entitled to 8 hour days? Because I am not a bid driver? That's a bunch of crap. So the Bid drivers can get light days, but I'd have to work 11 hours a day? I'm glad my management team is not as dumb as some of the people on this site.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I don't know what some of these other people are saying, because I here a bunch of crap. Maybe supplements are completely different from where I'm at, but some of this sounds bat schtit. Where I'm at, any full-time driver is entitled to their 8HR Day. That includes cover drivers. Violating the contract for going home when management sends you home? How is that a violation? Hey, if you're meek, don't answer the phone.

Sending driver's home on the day they have an 8HR Day is just another way UPS attempts to put the screws to us. When you go home when they give you some lame-assed excuse why they can't cover it, you're just doing their dirty work by going home. If you didn't want to work, then just call in sick. When I used to get 8HR days, I sure as hail wasn't going to set my alarm, wake up, take a shower, dress up in the monkey suit, drive in rush hour traffic, wait around until start time, and then drive all of the way back home. It wasn't my problem that management couldn't plan for the 8HR Day they knew I had one day prior. If I came into work, I was working.

If you do this four or five times in a row, they will get the message...such and such needs to run this base car or that base car because we know he won't go home. And hold them to your 8HR Day, too. If it's too much work, call early and often. It's on them to fix the situation. Again, do it a few times and they WILL fix it.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll

As a full time driver, how am I NOT entitled to 8 hour days? Because I am not a bid driver? That's a bunch of crap. So the Bid drivers can get light days, but I'd have to work 11 hours a day? I'm glad my management team is not as dumb as some of the people on this site.

You indicated that you are a "COVER DRIVER" and NOT a full time driver. Merely saying you are a cover driver that works full time when called up hardly qualifies you as a full time driver. FULL TIME means 40 hours a week, 52 weeks a year.

Not vacation coverage, jury duty coverage and such. The contract is very clear. COVER DRIVERS ARE NOT TO BE USED TO SUPPLEMENT THE DRIVERS IN A PACKAGE CENTER.

You are merely the "HELP". The provisions of article 37 in the NMA DO NOT APPLY TO YOU.

Loop drivers whether utlility or bid are the only drivers in a package center covered by article 37. You cannot get on the 9.5 list or request 8 hour days at ANYTIME.

Your role as a cover driver is very specific and without added bonuses. IF an operator is allowing cover drivers to exercise the article 37 language for cover drivers, then "HE/SHE" is unclear of the contractual obligations.

FULL TIME drivers have put in their time and have the seniority to be relieved of excess overtime. "Seniority shall prevail in ALL aspects of the daily operation". This is in the CONTRACT.

YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND THIS AND ACCEPT IT without complaining about it.

Drivers with seniority will ALWAYS do less than drivers with lower seniority. If you dont like it, then you are at the wrong company.

Now, you asked for advice, and I have given you the contractual explanation for your situation. It may not be the happy talk you wanted to hear like the rest of these guys gave you, but its the cards you are holding.

Youre a cover driver. The bottom rung of the package ladder. When you get to that top rung, you can enjoy the fruits of your seniority.

Until then, enjoy the overtime.

peace

TOS

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I don't know what some of these other people are saying, because I here a bunch of crap. Maybe supplements are completely different from where I'm at, but some of this sounds bat schtit. Where I'm at, any full-time driver is entitled to their 8HR Day. That includes cover drivers. Violating the contract for going home when management sends you home? How is that a violation? Hey, if you're meek, don't answer the phone.

Sending driver's home on the day they have an 8HR Day is just another way UPS attempts to put the screws to us. When you go home when they give you some lame-assed excuse why they can't cover it, you're just doing their dirty work by going home. If you didn't want to work, then just call in sick. When I used to get 8HR days, I sure as hail wasn't going to set my alarm, wake up, take a shower, dress up in the monkey suit, drive in rush hour traffic, wait around until start time, and then drive all of the way back home. It wasn't my problem that management couldn't plan for the 8HR Day they knew I had one day prior. If I came into work, I was working.

If you do this four or five times in a row, they will get the message...such and such needs to run this base car or that base car because we know he won't go home. And hold them to your 8HR Day, too. If it's too much work, call early and often. It's on them to fix the situation. Again, do it a few times and they WILL fix it.

The issue then becomes a persons understanding of what a full time driver is. This is really simple. FULL TIME is a driver who works 40 hours a week, for 52 weeks.

Not a week here and there, a month here or a month there.. THAT IS PART TIME. If a cover driver was a FULL TIME DRIVER they would select vacation with the FULL TIME DRIVERS. They dont. Case closed.

Peace

TOS

gostillerz

The issue then becomes a persons understanding of what a full time driver is. This is really simple. FULL TIME is a driver who works 40 hours a week, for 52 weeks.

Not a week here and there, a month here or a month there.. THAT IS PART TIME. If a cover driver was a FULL TIME DRIVER they would select vacation with the FULL TIME DRIVERS. They dont. Case closed.

Peace

TOS

All drivers here pick vacations under one list.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll

You indicated that you are a "COVER DRIVER" and NOT a full time driver. Merely saying you are a cover driver that works full time when called up hardly qualifies you as a full time driver. FULL TIME means 40 hours a week, 52 weeks a year.

TOS

Wow, do they not have full time cover drivers where you are? I'm a cover driver, since I do not have a bid route, I am not, however a Temporary cover driver.

Thanks for your "help" lmao

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
All drivers here pick vacations under one list.

Yes, all full time drivers select vacation from the same seniority list. Temporary cover drivers assigned to pre load select vacation in pre load.

Single belt operations may also select from one seniority list due to size of ops.

peace

TOS

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Wow, do they not have full time cover drivers where you are? I'm a cover driver, since I do not have a bid route, I am not, however a Temporary cover driver.

Thanks for your "help" lmao

Then, the issue becomes one of "terminology".

I think you mean to say that you are a "UTILITY" driver, and a "UTILITY" driver can select an 8 hour request, however, they can only enforce a 9.5 request if the route they are covering is on the 9.5 list.

You stated you were a cover driver, and that "implies" you are simply a temp driver. "UTILITY" driver is the proper terminology to use.

Peace

TOS

This is the kind of advice that NOBODY should pay attention too! This will get you FIRED. An 8 hour request is just that, A REQUEST.

Even if approved, the contract states that you must COMPLETE THE DISPATCH regardless if it extends passed the 8 hours REQUEST. The remedy is a monetary remedy. There is NO PROVISION that allows you to COME IN before you have completed the dispatch.

Peace

TOS
in the central region swing drivers get eight hour requests and are able to file 9/5. You are also allowed to bring the work in at eight hours no matter what is left. We have real good language in our supplement.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Then, the issue becomes one of "terminology".

I think you mean to say that you are a "UTILITY" driver, and a "UTILITY" driver can select an 8 hour request, however, they can only enforce a 9.5 request if the route they are covering is on the 9.5 list.

You stated you were a cover driver, and that "implies" you are simply a temp driver. "UTILITY" driver is the proper terminology to use.

Peace

TOS

In my hub, we are all known as cover drivers. If we were describing a temporary cover driver, we just call them "Temps". I've never heard anyone where i am use the term "utility" driver