being fired and reinstated

DS

Fenderbender
This thread could answer a lot of questions about the process of being fired and rehired at ups.
Sometimes it can take a year or more but I got lucky.
I was fired by an overzealos munchkin 24 year old center manager that did not like me.
He was mad because I called for help one day and he said there was none.I told him that I would have 15 missed businesses and that he better brown up and come help me himself.
I had had 2 prior accidents that were totally my fault,and I backed into a 5 ton truck...the guy said no problem...its just a scratch....not...my p800 top rim sliced a hole in it.....fired for failing to report an accident.
I called the union coutless times and never got 1 call back.I got a call from my oncar ...come in for a meeting....lost pay but back in service

40 and out

I guess I was lucky too. In Dec of 97 I was fired for not reporting an accident. A dog ran under my tire hurt its leg. Customer called in from vet wanting their $50 bill paid. Hitting a dog had never been an accident before. I knew I was in some trouble when center manager was still there at 800 when I got in. He was never there after 500. Was walked out of building by LP and fired but was given my job back the next day. Still made for a sleepless night not knowing if I was fired for good or not. This was right after the strike and they were firing many drivers in our building for retaliation. I think all of them came back eventually but some were out for awhile. The worst was a driver who had just gone through the terrible death of his 2 year daughter to cancer. He barely backed into a gutter. Didn't even realize he'd done it. Customer called in. He was fired for not reporting an accident and was out several weeks. Was afraid someone would go postal and do something to management. Hope we never have to go through anything like that again.

satellitedriver

I have never been fired from UPS, or any other job that I have ever held.
If I am fired in the future, I really do not know how hard I would fight to get my job back.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I think my count is 3.
Had a p/t air driver who loved to get canned; think his count was 21 times before he gave it up.

40 and out

About 1/3 of the drivers in our 50 driver center have been fired mostly for production issues. We haven't been fired for production. They find some other way to do it. The last year or so has been better so it will probably start up again soon. Seems to run in cycles.

rod

Retired 22 years
I backed into a guys battery charger he had sitting on the ground at his welding shop. It was a brand new shiney red one but it still worked so he said it was no big deal. He said "in time it would look that way anyway after being used around his shop". Although I never reported it because he was a friend and I knew he wouldn't report it, I ended up regretting that I didn't, because he never let me forget what a "nice guy" he was for letting me off the hook. That happened probably 20 years ago. I saw him for the first time in a long time about a month ago. The battery charger still works-------------I know, because he brought the subject up ----------again.:wink2:

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I backed into a guys battery charger he had sitting on the ground at his welding shop. It was a brand new shiney red one but it still worked so he said it was no big deal. He said "in time it would look that way anyway after being used around his shop". Although I never reported it because he was a friend and I knew he wouldn't report it, I ended up regretting that I didn't, because he never let me forget what a "nice guy" he was for letting me off the hook. That happened probably 20 years ago. I saw him for the first time in a long time about a month ago. The battery charger still works-------------I know, because he brought the subject up ----------again.:wink2:

You should offer him 10$ and then throw it in the trash I hate when guys won't shut up about old "favors" like that.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I've been walked to the gate twice, the longest I was out was 8 weeks. In addition I've had 3 or 4 Article 7s (working termination) that went nowhere. Accused of everything from dishonesty to industrial sabotage, but of course the real issue was always production. At one point the company transferred both my center manager and my DM to another building rather than deal with my grievances against them. Both are no longer with the company, the DM was demoted back to center manager before he left.
As far as not fighting for my job, or wanting to go back to work for a company that fired me, there's a thing called "principle".

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As far as not fighting for my job, or wanting to go back to work for a company that fired me, there's a thing called "principle".

I agree with you only if the firing was unjust. If the firing was entirely my fault I would walk out the door and not look back. There's a thing called "pride".

Case in point. Shortly after I started at UPS we had a driver involved in an accident in which he pinned a mailman against a loading dock. The driver was backing to the dock and the mailman was helping the driver in his back. The driver then lost sight of the mailman and pinned him against the dock. The mailman was out of work for a year. The driver lost his job but the Union got it back for him. He was then caught the following week driving without a seatbelt, was fired and, you guessed it, the Union got his job back. That is where I have the problem.

I have never been fired. I have had a working suspension and a one day suspension.

over9five

Staff member
I agree with you only if the firing was unjust. If the firing was entirely my fault I would walk out the door and not look back. There's a thing called "pride".

Maybe that's what I meant as well.

I've never even had a warning letter, much less suspended or fired. I'm an expert at flying under the radar.

P

pickup

Maybe that's what I meant as well.

I've never even had a warning letter, much less suspended or fired. I'm an expert at flying under the radar.

It's kind of easy to fly under the radar as a feeder driver, you hook up to your trailer, do your pretrip and go. If you are one of these guys that consistently have 45 minutes between hooking up and going through the gate (assuming no bottlenecks) then you are on the radar and everything you do will be scrutinized .

The guys who have these lengthy delays are usually holding court in the yard and talking to every passing driver. Fraternizing is nice and fine but not for twenty minute intervals while on the clock

It's kind of easy to fly under the radar as a feeder driver, you hook up to your trailer, do your pretrip and go. If you are one of these guys that consistently have 45 minutes between hooking up and going through the gate (assuming no bottlenecks) then you are on the radar and everything you do will be scrutinized .

The guys who have these lengthy delays are usually holding court in the yard and talking to every passing driver. Fraternizing is nice and fine but not for twenty minute intervals while on the clock

The main two groups to get fired in feeder are the "old farts" who think they have earned the right to stand around and soak up every last minute with minimal work. They are mosyly fired for stealing time.
The second group are the new "hotdogs" who think they are king ****** and haul ass around like they were still in package,that is until they start racking up accidents like halloween candy. The majority of them are walked for unreported accidents.
The last group who come in,do the job,follow the procedures,and don`t tear up the equipment, have nothing to worry about.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
The main two groups to get fired in feeder are the "old farts" who think they have earned the right to stand around and soak up every last minute with minimal work. They are mosyly fired for stealing time.
The second group are the new "hotdogs" who think they are king ****** and haul ass around like they were still in package,that is until they start racking up accidents like halloween candy. The majority of them are walked for unreported accidents.
The last group who come in,do the job,follow the procedures,and don`t tear up the equipment, have nothing to worry about.
What about those campaigning for union office? You seem to have a bumper crop this year at CACH.

What about those campaigning for union office? You seem to have a bumper crop this year at CACH.

Oh jeez,where do I start. They have a campaign flyer up in the lunchroom. One of their selling points is "we`re a group of individuals with no previous experience". Gosh!,where do I sign. Half of them are kids,the guy running for Prez is just about universally hated for how he does his job( and I`m not talking politically).

UPS labor would eat this group for lunch and **** them out so fast you`d think they came from taco bell.