Being forced to a different shift and job?

I currently work in local sort and have been for over a year now but I worked this season as a driver and now the manager told me that I can either go to preload or not work for UPS anymore. I haven't gotten a hold of my union steward yet, so I thought I'd ask here first. Are they allowed to make me change jobs like this since they are completely different shifts? When I moved to local sort, they asked if I would be willing to do it.

Preload will mess with my other full time job along with my home life.

22.34life

your manager is trying to punk you,he thinks you will just lay down for this.while i must admit this does sound a little fishy to me,i mean your manager really told you that you have to switch shifts after you went out cover driving?if this story is true then talk to your steward or buisness agent asap.

Already have, she doesn't know for sure and the higher ups that she needs to talk to are currently on vacation. So looks like for the time being I'm screwed. Also figured out how much less I'll make due to the hours and I'll lose over $400 a month on preload. I can only work about 2.25 hours on preload until I have to be in at my other job versus the 4 to 5 hours I was getting on local sort.

JonFrum

Is there a major layoff such that everyone with less seniority than you is also being laid off the Local Sort shift and offered what work there is on the Preload shift?

I don't think UPS will allow you to only work 2.25 hours per day on the Preload.

Look over your Contract's Supplement throughly for language on seniority and layoffs.

If you need to file a grievance, file within the time limit. But first make sure the matter is under review by the Union so they will arrange for the clock to be stopped until the higher-ups return.

No layoffs, the guy they are trying to replace me with has less seniority than I do as well. I got the business agents number tonight, so I'll call him tomorrow and see if I'm able to get a hold of him.

I just find it amazing how some managers treat the employees; I've done everything that's been asked of me since being with UPS and have even been fired from a job for them. Live and learn I guess, I just wont be going out of my way for them anymore is all.

helenofcalifornia

Iced, lesson learned early in your career with UPS. Doesn't mean you have to be aggressively looking for trouble or problems with UPS, just means you know have figured out that if you don't stand up for yourself, UPS will take advantage of you. Not all management, just some.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
If you were laid off from driving and you gained seniority as a driver you should be allowed to work two part time shifts if you so choose. If you did not gain seniority you should be allowed to return to the shift you came from. You really need to check your local supplement.

I have no seniority as a driver. Under what section should I check for something like this?

Also tried getting a hold of the business agent, but haven't been successful so far.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I have no seniority as a driver. Under what section should I check for something like this?

Look under seniority, and lay-off, and cover/seasonal drivers. And maintenance of standards.

Also tried getting a hold of the business agent, but haven't been successful so far.

In order to file in a timely manner (ASAP!), use the phrase all applicable articles or all that apply in the articles violated section of the grievance, if needed.

menotyou

bella amicizia
You better file your grievance before 30 days are up. If not, it will look like you agree with the decision. It would be helpful if you had a steward who had even read the contract. Pg. 64 of the Master Agreement, article 22 section 4 is part of where you should look to start. Article 37, pg. 119 should always be thrown in. Depending on where you are, you could go out as a casual under Appendix A, pg. 214.
I would show up to my regular shift and sit at the picnic table if necessary. MAKE SURE YOU CLOCK IN. Do not leave unless threatened with arrest. (If it were me, I would let them call the cops just for the report that you tried to work and they wouldn't let you. You won't get arrested if you leave when the police ask.)
Your manager wants to shift you to preload so you are available to drive at a moments notice if he needs you. It is completely for his comfort and not yours. You could drive the air to the airport at night if that is applicable in your area.
No matter what, you were hired for local sort and that is your sort. Period.
Drive to the union hall and demand to be seen. My BA never answers his phone as he might have to work.
Only you can protect yourself.

Well an update, I've talked to the business agent and he said they couldn't force me to switch shifts. So the local steward let my center manager know and she goes and talks to her bosses about it and they say otherwise still. So until they come to an agreement or whatever I'm stuck on preload.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Well an update, I've talked to the business agent and he said they couldn't force me to switch shifts. So the local steward let my center manager know and she goes and talks to her bosses about it and they say otherwise still. So until they come to an agreement or whatever I'm stuck on preload.
I recommend you file a grievance. Besides staying on your original shift, you also want to be made whole in every way, meaning you also want the amount of pay you lost by working less hours, plus penalty, and the hours credited for purpose of earning benefits (vacation/pension/etc.). Do it weekly, or however often your steward or BA recommend. Besides being the fairest possible outcome to you, it might provide some motivation to return you to your shift. Your lousy little part time job isn't even a pimple on the keester of a fly to this giant company, yet they want to make a federal case out of it. Must be January. Sigh.

menotyou

bella amicizia
File a grievance TODAY!!!!!!! Not to mention, show up to metro and clock in. Don't just let everyone talk. That will land you on preload forever.
DEMAND A GRIEVANCE!!! PAPER THEM LIKE THEY PAPER US!!!!
Only you can protect yourself.
Something to add to your grievance- $1.00 per hour preferred sort pay while you are on preload. If they don't pay, add the Art 50 double pay.

The BA gave me a small update today, turns out my center manager told her bosses that I didn't qualify on reload and that was a reason she wanted me off of it. Yet I've been on that job for the past 16 months give or take and this just now comes up? She *my center manager* also told me that I gained seniority on preload and he gained his on local sort. I don't see how he could have seniority on either job as he just started at UPS within the last 4 or 5 months.

The BA also mentioned something about grieving for all the hours that the current guy doing local sort has done to also give me. I'll have to talk to him more about that though. Unfortunately I have to do everything through the BA as my local steward is of no help at all but instead gives me answers that are closer to something management would tell me.

Well I'm going back to the night side. Though not as a local sorter that I was, instead she is having me help the guy that's doing it now and when that's done doing car washing, also limited to my 3.5 hours.

Also found out my steward is worthless and acts closer to a manager than the union member she is. She and the FT car Sup. came up to me a couple of days in a row and told me to stay for the full 3.5 hours on preload and when I told them I couldn't because of my other job *which they all knew about prior to any of this* she started yelling at me that I'm not guaranteed 3.5 hours unless I stay. I don't know what set her off as I hadn't talked to her about any of this as from the beginning she said she didn't know if the center manager could do what she did and I went to the B.A. instead.

Now I get to really watch my back as I can tell I have a bulls-eye painted on it.