Being forced to use crayons to write sequence numbers..

WHAT DO YOU THINK WORKS BEST

• PEEL AND REAPPLY PAL LABELS

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • WRITE SEQUENCE # WITH CRAYON

Votes: 13 59.1%

• Total voters

reaper301

So as of Friday we have been told that our preload has to write the sequance numbers on the packages with a crayon instead of peeling and reappyling the PAL(preload assit label)also known as the SPA label (SPA is the process scan print apply). Are any other hubs with the sticker systems having to do this? As our super put it today this is coming from above his bosses bosses boss.. I find it takes me longer to write with a black crayola crayon then it does to peel and reapply the PAL, my sequencing has been way off and I get so backed up that it takes 2 ppl to help me finish at the end of the day(I load 4 trucks everyone else 3). When i peeled and reapplied the PAL I would do walkthroughs to check for misloads and my sequenceing was dead on(my drivers loved it) So after talking to a co-worker I came up with a "Get to know your "PAL"" sheet all of the preloaders agreed with it and mangament laughed at it. So I would like to know the thoughts of my fellow UPSers if you would like to print it and share it feel free to. Just don't forget to thank this lil 5'4 pissed off preloader when you agree lol...:devil3:-Ryan
UPS117 copy.jpg
UPS117 copy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

menotyou

bella amicizia
peel and re-apply. Crayons suck and it's a waste of time. If your scanners are good, they will attach the pal enough to not fall off, but still peelable.

J

jibbs

WOrk as directed and use the crayon. Their methods might nab u 40 hrs on the preload weekly :)

Yeah, when I first started my supes finally chilled with letting me peel/reapply PAL labels because I was looking for a new crayon every 3 or 4 minutes. I wasn't losing them, though-- I'd get a large package that required full use of both hands, pocket the crayon, load the package, reach in my pocket for the crayon only to find it was in 4-5 tiny little pieces. Those pieces of **** (the crayons, I mean) just make everything more frustrating.

Reapernet, as far as I'm aware, my building doesn't require the use of crayons but management is big on advocating using the crayons instead of relying solely on PALs. If there's a problem with peeling and reapplying stickers, I can only see it being that an incorrect PAL label was placed on the package in the unload causing every sort and placement of the package thereafter to be a missort. Even in that case, though, you'll be getting your sequence number from the incorrect PAL label and writing and the wrong number on the box anyways, so if they're trying to clean up the operation a little bit it should probably be with the PTers scanning the packages in the unload before anything else.

J

jibbs

We shouldn't be taught to rely on pals. The label on the package is what matters.

From what I've observed in my building, loaders focus on the PAL whilst drivers focus on the package label. It causes a lot of irritation when a loader's trying to tell the driver where packages are grouped in the truck based on sequence number instead of address/stop information. The older drivers especially seem pissed when I tell them I grouped, for example, 2460 on the floor right behind to F1. :anxious:

ups hero

Being forced to use crayons to write sequance numbers..

I work in the preload as well, I can't stand using the crayon method. Our preload uses black permanent markers which is actually more efficient (my opinion). We only use the crayons if we are completely out of markers , which doesn't happen too much. Our preloads don't always write the sequence # on the packages and neither do I unless management starts giving us he'll about it. Which doesn't happen much either. But when I do write the sequence numbers on the box, I only write the last 3 numbers, I don't bother writing the first number since I already know what shelf it goes on. If you have to write numbers on all the boxes, eliminating 1number actually saves a lot of time throughout the night. I'm very picky on how I load my trucks and always do what is best for the DRIVER. I've never had a complaint using that method. However every hub, preload, driver, preloader..ect..ect.. Is different. Some preloaders I showed this method to likes it and uses it, while others get confused and avoid it. Just wanted to see if this would help you. I do Agree pulling the spa label is much quicker in most cases.

InsideUPS

WOrk as directed and use the crayon. Their methods might nab u 40 hrs on the preload weekly :)

Rudy5150.....Rudy said it best. "Work as Directed and use the crayon". Ours is not to question "Why?"......Ours is but to do and (die)......no..."actually make more money working as directed". Besides......not working as directed will get you a UPS Monopoly "Straight to Jail" card.

And just to give you young bucks (& doe) a little history about loading........we dinosaur loaders use to have to "memorize" sequence numbers with the help of charts of course. I distinctly remember when we preloaders were informed that we were going to have to start writing sequence numbers on packages (BEFORE SPA/PAL) labels. We were told by management that it will NOT take any additional time. Of course....being the young college smart :censored2: that I was...... I stood there and wrote numbers from 100 - 200 on a piece of paper in front of my PT Sup and asked him to time me. Somehow....I never really had a lot of respect for our UPS IE guys.........and that feeling continues even today.

ups hero

I agree 100%. In our building we have a lot of tucks that get multiple spa labels for that one stop in the same day. Newer preloaders will place them according to where they are Sequenced to, while the experienced will put all of that stop together. In which doesn't happen too much.

InsideUPS

From what I've observed in my building, loaders focus on the PAL whilst drivers focus on the package label. It causes a lot of irritation when a loader's trying to tell the driver where packages are grouped in the truck based on sequence number instead of address/stop information. The older drivers especially seem pissed when I tell them I grouped, for example, 2460 on the floor right behind to F1. :anxious:

Don't take it to heart jibbs..... Those drivers are use to us dinosaur loaders loading waaaaaay back by address.....also called "custom loads". Back in the day... the loader knew where and how that driver preferred their packages to be loaded. ONLY during a ride with a supervisor did we actually write sequence numbers on packages.

You have to remember....... when you first see your driver.... you are about ready to go home... the driver is just starting his or her day.... looking at those 1000 numbered next day air packages in his first section that have to be delivered by 10:30 a.m.....also.... thinking about pickups.... traffic... etc.. and maybe the ballgame that their child is in at 5:30 pm that they in all likelihood are going to miss. In other words....there are many other things that the driver is "pissed" about that have nothing to do with you personally....

J

jibbs

You have to remember....... when you first see your driver.... you are about ready to go home... the driver is just starting his or her day.... looking at those 1000 numbered next day air packages in his first section that have to be delivered by 10:30 a.m.....also.... thinking about pickups.... traffic... etc.. and maybe the ballgame that their child is in at 5:30 pm that they in all likelihood are going to miss. In other words....there are many other things that the driver is "pissed" about that have nothing to do with you personally....

For sure. I just make it a point to GTFO of their truck when it's like that, lol. That example in my previous post especially... when he shows up he tells whoever's loading his just to set the boxes inside the truck and he'll take care of it from there. I don't take it to heart, but I also don't let myself become their morning punching bag either. :happy-very:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Many operations have the ink scanners now, so peeling isn't an option. I suggest taking your time and writing on every package and then watching how fast the company backs off when the "production" decreases.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
We use to use markers, but then we switched to Chinese markers ("crayons") because the markers would last less than a workday whereas the Chinese markers could last a month. But we got a new DM who thought that it was inappropriate to write on packages, so we began positioning the SPA label. Then we got a new DM and went back to markers, Chinese markers - whatever the flavor of the month was.

BTW, I strongly disagree with you. Many SPA labels are difficult to peel off, while it's impossible to peel others off without defacing the package. I find it takes less time to write on a package -- plus I can do it while wearing gloves.

laffter

I haven't read the entire thread up to this point, but what are you guys talking about peeling and re-applying labels? Do you mean, peel the label off from whichever side it was stuck to and re-apply it to the side of the box that faces outward?

If this is what we're all talking about, then I personally have never heard of this method before. But, if it works for you, then go for it... unless you're strictly told to do otherwise, then "work as directed", as everyone will say.

We have large sharpies here. I've read in threads before where some buildings have some kind of silly charcoal things. Crayons though? Really? This seems like some kind of a huge joke, about how preloaders are all children in management's eyes.

This is not an issue in my building. What a preloader learns all depends on which supervisor "teaches" him. I've seen people who have been here for weeks and have never been told to write the sequence number on the package. Nobody is harassed about it and I've never heard of it as being a serious issue here. I'm sure drivers hate it, but who cares about drivers anyway, right? Typically, management just wants the right packages in the right trucks. Order and organization doesn't matter. That's for the driver to deal with.

I think peeling the label off would be annoying, for me. Not everyone has nails. Some people wear gloves. Packages with certain types of plastic wrappers are difficult to peel labels off of. I carry a sharpie at all times... and have many black marks on my hands that take forever to wash off.

That's an interesting concept though... one I've never considered. Assuming that's what this is about.

J

jibbs

I haven't read the entire thread up to this point, but what are you guys talking about peeling and re-applying labels? Do you mean, peel the label off from whichever side it was stuck to and re-apply it to the side of the box that faces outward?

If this is what we're all talking about, then I personally have never heard of this method before. But, if it works for you, then go for it... unless you're strictly told to do otherwise, then "work as directed", as everyone will say.

Yep, that's it. It gets the label facing out for a driver's easy find/scan and gets the sticker facing out so that the loader can more easily keep a running track of everything. It's near impossible with gloves but without (and especially on those super cold winter preloads) it's cake. I didn't know it was an issue anywhere until brought up on this board, though...

InsideUPS

I haven't read the entire thread up to this point, but what are you guys talking about peeling and re-applying labels? ........... Crayons though? Really? This seems like some kind of a huge joke, about how preloaders are all children in management's eyes.

..................... Nobody is harassed about it and I've never heard of it as being a serious issue here. I'm sure drivers hate it, but who cares about drivers anyway, right? Typically, management just wants the right packages in the right trucks. Order and organization doesn't matter. That's for the driver to deal with.
................ Assuming that's what this is about.

Laffter.....you've been here at BC for a little while now.. I really cannot believe that you were actually serious about some of the comments you made here... It's really interesting to get different opinions and insight on how people think here at BC. First, it really does pay to do some research and read what you are commenting about. Second, YOU can MAKE or BREAK a drivers day... by the quality of your load. Third, you will give your Union steward serious headaches in trying to defend your attitude. Fourth, attitude at work is a fairly good predictor on how well you will succeed in your personal life outside of work.

PLEASE...please tell me that you were simply throwing in some sarcasm in your post and that you really do care about your drivers...and the quality of your work. Possibly....this may be the reason why supervisors feel the way they do about us hourly.. "This seems like some kind of a huge joke, about how preloaders are all children in management's eyes"

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As a driver, I don't care whether you peel the label or use a crayon as I don't pay attention to either of those----I read the package label only. To me both methods are a waste of time----why don't you just read the PAL and load accordingly?