Being forced to use crayons to write sequence numbers..

WHAT DO YOU THINK WORKS BEST

• PEEL AND REAPPLY PAL LABELS

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • WRITE SEQUENCE # WITH CRAYON

Votes: 13 59.1%

• Total voters

Drink Craft Beer

I've never heard of the "peeling of spa label" system being used and I'm in a hub that's always used the "grease stick" (the comman name, not crayon) method. Too me, writing on the box would be a bigger time saver than peeling off a label.

When I loaded, I'd used the grease stick to put a small mark on the last package I looked at on the belt before loading a few packages so it would save me time from looking at the same package twice. Or there were times when a larger package needed to go on the floor and the same address would have 3 packages on the shelf. I would draw an arrow on one of the shelf packages pointing down towards the floor to let the driver know that there's another on the floor. You don't always see the driver before you leave.

No, they're not the most durable of things but like someone else noted, a lot of people like to wear gloves when they load which makes it even more of a pain to have peel the label.

fightingthegoodfight

What forced me to use the crayon was wearing gloves as it is impossible to peel the stickers with them on. one thing i forgot to mention is always slash out the spa lable so even if you stack out you will know which addresses are already varified.

Were you given a "get out of jail free" when you had a mis-spa? a fliped address? That will soon stop.(and trust me it WILL) By them inforcing these methods they will write you up for even a mis spa or a flip because at this point you are supposed to know exactually what goes into the truck.

It takes some time to get used to...and it may take a long time...but start small and work your way up. Your right it is full proof once done correctly. It will make you a much better preloader and understand what the driver goes through.

I also draw arrows make *** marks anything to get their attention. And remember if the spa label is facing out then you dont need to write the spa number. any smalls like amazons or centurylinks place flat against the back wall with label out.

If sups give you a hard time you just tell them you are really trying to get your methods down pat...as long as you dont misload what can they say right?

*one more tip* dont stack out smalls... stack them in the RDR or RDL spot inside the truck or on the spot next to the wheel well and work them in when you get a chance...just dont forget about them!

Good luck let us know how it goes tomorrow

Integrity

Binge Poster
So as of Friday we have been told that our preload has to write the sequance numbers on the packages with a crayon instead of peeling and reappyling the PAL(preload assit label)also known as the SPA label (SPA is the process scan print apply). Are any other hubs with the sticker systems having to do this? As our super put it today this is coming from above his bosses bosses boss.. I find it takes me longer to write with a black crayola crayon then it does to peel and reapply the PAL, my sequencing has been way off and I get so backed up that it takes 2 ppl to help me finish at the end of the day(I load 4 trucks everyone else 3). When i peeled and reapplied the PAL I would do walkthroughs to check for misloads and my sequenceing was dead on(my drivers loved it) So after talking to a co-worker I came up with a "Get to know your "PAL"" sheet all of the preloaders agreed with it and mangament laughed at it. So I would like to know the thoughts of my fellow UPSers if you would like to print it and share it feel free to. Just don't forget to thank this lil 5'4 pissed off preloader when you agree lol...:devil3:-Ryan
View attachment 8652
Reapernet,

Are you required to handle packages while holding the crayon in your hand?

Sincerely
I

J

jibbs

Reapernet,

Sincerely
I

Required? No. It's more like an unspoken rule. I've seen preloaders writing on their packages as they carry them to the truck, which is an awesome way to lose awareness of what's going on around you. I've also seen people make their marks on a package before they pick it up off the belt, but I still don't have the foresight and memory required to be able to mark the most sensible side of a package before I'm able to get it situated in the truck. I've never heard anyone be specifically instructed to do either of these things, though.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Reapernet,

Sincerely
I

They want you write on all packages, its their request.

But it helps me the preloader and it helps the driver at times. I often find myself holding a sharpie while charging, doing eregs and other things while on the clock. You learn to deal with it and it becomes a secondary habit, like its not even there.

One time, I had a red sharpie for a shift, ( I didnt notice, but it happens, it got smeared all over my right hand ) I was working a safety person ran over to me and acting all freaked out " omg are you bleeding! ". It was the pen that caused it, and yeah it looked like I was bleeding all over the place.

I love working here, so much drama!

Integrity

Binge Poster
Required? No. It's more like an unspoken rule. I've seen preloaders writing on their packages as they carry them to the truck, which is an awesome way to lose awareness of what's going on around you. I've also seen people make their marks on a package before they pick it up off the belt, but I still don't have the foresight and memory required to be able to mark the most sensible side of a package before I'm able to get it situated in the truck. I've never heard anyone be specifically instructed to do either of these things, though.

They want you write on all packages, its their request.

But it helps me the preloader and it helps the driver at times. I often find myself holding a sharpie while charging, doing eregs and other things while on the clock. You learn to deal with it and it becomes a secondary habit, like its not even there.

One time, I had a red sharpie for a shift, ( I didnt notice, but it happens, it got smeared all over my right hand ) I was working a safety person ran over to me and acting all freaked out " omg are you bleeding! ". It was the pen that caused it, and yeah it looked like I was bleeding all over the place.

I love working here, so much drama!
jibbs, ORLY!?!,

Unspoken rule?

What about the written and often repeated safety practices for safe package handling?

There is obvious conflict between this unspoken rule and the 5th key to safe lifting and lowering which is to get a firm grip and grasp opposite corners.

This is a safety hazard, at least in I 's opinion it is.

Sincerely,
I

J

jibbs

What about the written and often repeated safety practices for safe package handling?

There is obvious conflict between this unspoken rule and the 5th key to safe lifting and lowering which is to get a firm grip and grasp opposite corners.

I kind of feel the need to clarify that I meant "unspoken rule" to simply mean how I see a majority of people loading. Being unspoken and unwritten, there is no immediately conflicting instruction coming from management. They provide the "motivation" to work faster and in an effort to satisfy them some (a lot of) people start cutting corners and taking shortcuts. Other than a lack of method enforcement and the constant prodding to work faster than we currently are, I've technically never seen a PTer do this after taking specific instruction from management. It's kind of like telling a person they can have either a Mountain Dew or a Coke, but we're all out of Mountain Dew and it's completely up to them what they decide to drink.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I kind of feel the need to clarify that I meant "unspoken rule" to simply mean how I see a majority of people loading. Being unspoken and unwritten, there is no immediately conflicting instruction coming from management. They provide the "motivation" to work faster and in an effort to satisfy them some (a lot of) people start cutting corners and taking shortcuts. Other than a lack of method enforcement and the constant prodding to work faster than we currently are, I've technically never seen a PTer do this after taking specific instruction from management. It's kind of like telling a person they can have either a Mountain Dew or a Coke, but we're all out of Mountain Dew and it's completely up to them what they decide to drink.
jibbs,

What is your opinion?

Do you think holding something such as a marker or crayon in you hand while handling packages creates a hazard of any kind?

Sincerely,
I

J

jibbs

FWIW----none of this helps the driver----getting the right package on to the right truck is what helps us the most.

The crayons are actually hurting my drivers (in the short-term, at least). I had my first 3 misloads since early December yesterday and the only thing I did different was use the damn crayon instead of my usual sticker peel.

Also, I realize I'm awfully vocal in this thread but this situation is a non-issue for me. I'm just trying different methods to see what works best for myself.

fightingthegoodfight

Omg im telling you guys i have fought and fought and fought this crayon issue even making the point of safty methods ect... yea it sucks but its possible and it WILL make you a better loader

its just the flavor of the week or month or what have you.

i have been dealing with this for over 4 years now your lucky your just seeing this crayon now

Like i said just do enough to help your self your driver and enough to satisfy your SUP you dont need to write on EVERY SINGLE package...the end game is getting NO misloads every day so if you can be a good consistant loader no one will bother you...and believe it not the methods they are asking of us do work when applied

J

jibbs

Omg im telling you guys i have fought and fought and fought this crayon issue even making the point of safty methods ect... yea it sucks but its possible and it WILL make you a better loader

i have been dealing with this for over 4 years now your lucky your just seeing this crayon now

Like i said just do enough to help your self your driver and enough to satisfy your SUP you dont need to write on EVERY SINGLE package...the end game is getting NO misloads every day so if you can be a good consistant loader no one will bother you...and believe it not the methods they are asking of us do work when applied

Lol, I wasn't trying to cop out and I don't plan on fighting the issue if it ever becomes one in the center I work in. I honestly don't know how the misloads ended up on my truck as I was checking two labels on every package, but I didn't question it because I switched up my method for the day and I could've easily friend*ed up as a result. Eh.... you win some, you lose some.

UPS Preloader

When it get's to my area. if they tell me to write it on every package and to verify every PAL against the label, that is what I will do... Just like I read on someone else's post last year... "We are just the messengers... If the plan fails, the plan fails."

reaper301

sorry been a min since i stoped back here, as last week we had our safty audit and our auditer stated to another steward," I dont see a safty concern with the crayon, you should still be able to firmly grasp oppisite corners whilst holding the crayon".

reaper301

So as we go around and around, my sup walks up to me yesterday and says "you need to keep an eye on your misloads or we will have to start tracking them again(why did they stop in the 1st place) this is coming from the center manager(who runs 3 centers and maybe comes to ours once a month). My reply was ok well then as of tomorrow I am going back to my old methods of pelling the Pal that way I can walk through my trucks at the end of every feeder and check for misloads like I used to, and if there is a problem with that I would like to see our manager come in and load my trucks one day. after I was punched out and seen my drivers and told them I was going back to peeling labels tomorrow one says thank god its about time, another said good now i can go back to having a nicer day, one said does it really make a difference and i said yes it does ask my other two drivers, and my fourth driver i didnt see lol. so we will see how things go today. oh and as for wearing gloves I wear them since we are in a cold region i just snip the tip of the thumb index and middle off hands stay wam and can peel fine..:peaceful:

And I would like to thank all of you that have weighed in on this matter, it is good to get input on many levels from many people loader/driver etc