Being made to help in a different area?

Shine

Hi all,
I was looking for some information and stumbled upon this forum. I know most of you are far more experienced in the was of UPS that I am, and I'm hoping some of you could give me some advice with a situation I'm having.

I'm a part-time package handler and I have a little over two years seniority (two years in April). My area's supervisor was looking for a few people to help out in a different area during this past peak season. I agreed to help and was told by my part-timer that they would no longer need my help once peak was over. I'll be honest, my regular job is a bit easier than the job I do when I'm helping and I'd like to no longer be sent away. It's almost August and I'm still being sent a few times a month. I've talked to my current p/t sup (the one that told me it was a peak-only situation no longer works for the company) and friend/t sup as well as my dept manager, and I keep getting the "we understand, and we'll do what we can to help" responses but I still keep getting called away. I was basically told that once I became certified in the position, I could be sent at anytime. So does being certified to work in a different area mean that you have no choice but to go when they call for extra help? I feel like my last option would be to involve the union, however, I've never really dealt with the union before and I don't know that they would be able to resolve my issue. And if not, would I end up making myself a target for management? I guess my question is basically, should I get my union steward involved or keep waiting for my supervisors to do what they say they will? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

over9five

Staff member
First, WORK AS DIRECTED! If they tell you to go, you must go.

Second, find out if there's a less senior employee who could go instead of you. (Or a more senior employee who wants to go).

As always, find your shop steward and get his advice.

jimstud

Banned
First, WORK AS DIRECTED! If they tell you to go, you must go.

Second, find out if there's a less senior employee who could go instead of you. (Or a more senior employee who wants to go).

As always, find your shop steward and get his advice.

always work as directed

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Hi all,
I was looking for some information and stumbled upon this forum. I know most of you are far more experienced in the was of UPS that I am, and I'm hoping some of you could give me some advice with a situation I'm having.

I'm a part-time package handler and I have a little over two years seniority (two years in April). My area's supervisor was looking for a few people to help out in a different area during this past peak season. I agreed to help and was told by my part-timer that they would no longer need my help once peak was over. I'll be honest, my regular job is a bit easier than the job I do when I'm helping and I'd like to no longer be sent away. It's almost August and I'm still being sent a few times a month. I've talked to my current p/t sup (the one that told me it was a peak-only situation no longer works for the company) and friend/t sup as well as my dept manager, and I keep getting the "we understand, and we'll do what we can to help" responses but I still keep getting called away. I was basically told that once I became certified in the position, I could be sent at anytime. So does being certified to work in a different area mean that you have no choice but to go when they call for extra help? I feel like my last option would be to involve the union, however, I've never really dealt with the union before and I don't know that they would be able to resolve my issue. And if not, would I end up making myself a target for management? I guess my question is basically, should I get my union steward involved or keep waiting for my supervisors to do what they say they will? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

You need to work as directed, and tell mgmt/union you want a different job bid on openings. when a job opens up that you are interested in, get with a steward and lead mgr and tell them you want onto that PT bid.
Get together with a steward and sort mgr/ center manager? Also stay firm, don't kill yourself on the other job because you are so worried it won't be done on time....you set the bar...do your best with the methods safely!!!

22.34life

talk with your union steward about this,they will need specific information so i hope you can do better than your post.try to talk it out with your friend/t sup after you have talked to your steward,if they wont budge on this ask your steward what your options are maybe he will talk to him for you and can come to some kind of aggrement.I have had many such problems and i was always able to get what i wanted but i knew my steward very well and it was a different ups then.you will probably get stuck doing whatever they tell you to do and that will be the end of it,your steward will say hey its work as directed and his hands are tied.

JonFrum

You have a contractual right to stay in your preferred job so long as the job is available and there is not a true emergency. If Management needs to move people around, they should move the most junior people, not senior people. Read the Seniority Article in your Supplement. Talk to your Steward. That is the first step in the grievance process. Usually the Steward will resolve the situation by talking with Management, and no formal grievance will have to be filed.

Free advice: Don't hold off while you wait for management to become Good.

Article 22 --- Part-Time Employees
Section 4
. . .The Employer will fill all vacancies and permanent new jobs for part-time employees from the part-time selection list in all months except November and December.

Part-time employees with six (6) months or more seniority shall have the right to place their name on the list of employees waiting to be moved to a preferred job within their building. Such preferred jobs shall include, but not be limited to: Preload, Sorter, Clerical, Irregular Train, Designated Responder, Carwasher, Loader and Unloader. Employees do not have the right to select any specific unit, load or workstation unless a prior past practice has been established.

Part-time employees with less than six (6) months seniority shall have the right to bid a preferred job prior to the Employer hiring from off-the-street.

A maximum of twenty-five percent (25%) of the employees on a shift shall be allowed to change shifts in any one (1) calendar year. The employee obtaining the new position shall remain on that shift for at least six (6) months.
http://www.teamster.org/sites/teams...06 09 Final UPS Master Agreemnt 2008-2013.pdf

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Hi all,

NAVY! Never Again Volunteer Yourself. You have learned a valuable lesson.

SteveUPS

I have been sent to many different centers in Ontrario....Only ones I haven't work it are the centers in the SW and ones east of Belleville. I don't mind doing it as long as the works there. Ill go to other centers that way there is work for other guys in my center. But Ill go where ever they tell me too. As long as I am home on friday to be with me family it's all good

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have been sent to many different centers in Ontrario....Only ones I haven't work it are the centers in the SW and ones east of Belleville. I don't mind doing it as long as the works there. Ill go to other centers that way there is work for other guys in my center. But Ill go where ever they tell me too. As long as I am home on friday to be with me family it's all good

The OP was talking about being asked to help out in the same building. Can you imagine his reaction is he was asked to help out in a different center? Steve, thanks for doing the right thing. Dave.

SteveUPS

The OP was talking about being asked to help out in the same building. Can you imagine his reaction is he was asked to help out in a different center? Steve, thanks for doing the right thing. Dave.

LOL I undestand now. They are always trying to find ways to make days longer by helping other drivers something you just get tired of helping the same people every day....I know I do

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

LOL I undestand now. They are always trying to find ways to make days longer by helping other drivers something you just get tired of helping the same people every day....I know I do

This kid is a part timer in the building being asked to go from his cushy PT job to a more strenuous PT job on the same shift in the same building and is whining about it. I can only imagine if he were a driver asked to help another driver or, as in your case, deliver out of another center, what his reaction would be. I fear he would run out of Kleenex.

U

uber

This kid is a part timer in the building being asked to go from his cushy PT job to a more strenuous PT job on the same shift in the same building and is whining about it. I can only imagine if he were a driver asked to help another driver or, as in your case, deliver out of another center, what his reaction would be. I fear he would run out of Kleenex.

Pay him close to $30 bucks an hour and I'm sure his mentality on the issue changes a bit.

U

uber

Care to expand on that?

Its all relative to what you make. A part-timer who is working his ass off and making $11.00 an hour certainly isn't as motivated to help in an area that is asked upon by a supervisor as a favor. Especially, when there is most certainly other employees around with less seniority. If your a driver and you are making $30 an hour, helping out other drivers if need be shouldn't be an issue at all.

22.34life

you know sometimes you drivers act like you are the only ones that work hard around here.everybody at ups works hard some just harder than others .your pay is way more than the op is,so i would say your more compensated then he is.you know the part timers out number drivers at least 3 to 1.