being observed on the route

It could have been a member of management, asafety guy or loss prevention.

If it is an on-car sup or center manager, they typically only will observe 3-5 stops which usually takes less than 20 minutes.

If you're not exaggerating and it really was an hour, that's pretty long for an observation. They could have suspected the driver you were with of something, but if they put you with them to begin with, it's probably a senior driver they trust so that doesn't make much sense. Also it would be weird to do an observation on a driver while they are training another driver. Additionally in my area they only have drivers train newbies if the on-car sups are all tied up, so why would they pay the driver the 10% differential to train if they were available.

If it were a safety guy, they too wouldn't usually follow for an hour. Even if they're doing the post-accident observation that they do 90 days after an accident it isn't supposed to be more than like 15-20 minutes.

There are just too many things that don't add up. Did the driver say he recognized the person following you and who they were?

i dont lie and i'm not exaggerating, the manager followed us through 9-10 stops, the driver has 3 years experience with ups, the center is very short on drivers, i was there 3 different days doing the computer training and every day i was there the (dispatch?) manager left for about and hour and half to do observations. too techie i understand that you have been with ups for so for so long that you know all policy's and how every center operates so this is a new situation for you to add to your operational policy file. its good to learn something new each day.

newarkster

In my center, we had a supervisor once that got caught hiding in a bush. He never heard the end of that one until he got transferred.

Sent using BrownCafe App

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
i dont lie and i'm not exaggerating, the manager followed us through 9-10 stops, the driver has 3 years experience with ups, the center is very short on drivers, i was there 3 different days doing the computer training and every day i was there the (dispatch?) manager left for about and hour and half to do observations. too techie i understand that you have been with ups for so for so long that you know all policy's and how every center operates so this is a new situation for you to add to your operational policy file. its good to learn something new each day.
1) A three year driver with a Sporh of 9?
2) I've never heard of a PDS doing on road observations. That's just weird.
3) I agree that it's good to learn something new everyday... Like there is no apostrophe in "policies."

BrownArmy

1) A three year driver with a Sporh of 9?....

Depends on the route...

I cover a route that does 40-50 stops all day, all business, tons of pieces, 40 pickups, usually a nine-hour day.

Never look at stats, but what's the SPORH on that one? 5? 6?

If the stop count on that route goes over 50, you probably won't have enough time to finish...