Being pressured to join the dark side

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Clock Sucker, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Clock Sucker

Clock Sucker I handle a lot of packages

So for the past few months the sups and center manager have been asking when I will be putting in my letter of intent for management. It started out like a playful kind of deal but recently its like every other day they are asking. I'm a likable guy and get along with everyone including management, but I dont know where they got the idea that I had any intention of going into management? I have only been a FT driver for a little under a year, but I love my job and love delivering. Unless they offered me $150k+ a year, full benefits, and a tenure position, I wouldnt even consider going into management at this point in my life.

The thing that really :censored2: me off today was the center manager and our shop steward were having a talk in the office and I needed to ask the center manager a question so I politely interrupted. Before I could utter a word the center manager says "Are you here to put in your letter" and our shop steward went along with it and said I would be a great supervisor and I should do it! And he was serious. Isnt this guy supposed to stand up for me and the union and keep union employees!?!?

Just curious if anyone else gets asks this by management often? Maybe there is a certain quality they are looking for or something? I need to get rid of that quality so they quit asking lol

2. RonBurgandy??????????

RonBurgandy?????????? God is Great, beer is good , People are crazy.

Let me guess, you were an outside hire????

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. billerz

billerz Active Member

They have never asked me and most likely never will, probably has something to do with the amount of termination letters I've gotten over my 9 years lol.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  4. Clock Sucker

Nooooooooooooo. 5 years of preload and then went FT

5. I don't get it. Are you sucking too much clock, or not enough?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. RonBurgandy??????????

RonBurgandy?????????? God is Great, beer is good , People are crazy.

Well, don't know if you know this or not but a lot of cuts just went into management , pay, benefits , etc, a lot of em are gonna quit ,.....so, I'd advise against it, keep what you got , your better off ......

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

Could just be giving you a hard time. I agree though, enough is enough.

8. Clock Sucker

Oh I never had any intention of EVER going management. I've seen the :censored2: they go through and it isn't worth it. I just think it's weird that they want me as a supervisor so bad?

9. Box Ox

Box Ox Camacho for President!

Wow. Would be a cold day in hell before my shop steward would try to steer any drivers toward management.

10. Clock Sucker

I KNOW RIGHT!!!!

11. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

Drivers make more than on car sups, FYI. You're not getting any $150k as a FT sup.

12. Packmule

Packmule Well-Known Member

In my early years I got asked by a few sips. I was flattered a bit, but politely declined. Had a wife and a home. No desire to be married to the company or get moved all over the district every couple of years. Grew up moving often and wanted my kids to have what I never had. A hometown.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  13. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

If you do you'll be sucking plenty of clock daily just to keep your job.

14. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

Sound very......time consuming.

15. Indecisi0n

Time flys when you're having fun.

• Beer Beer x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. 9.5er

9.5er Well-Known Member

It seems like an easy fix. Just tell them No, Hell No, Kiss my ass it'll never happen. They will get the picture. Atleast my management team did.

17. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

You'll need that beer I gave you to wash the taste down.

18. Indecisi0n

Why would I want to do that?

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  19. Savvy412

Savvy412 Active Member

So what do full time sups make ?

20. Overpaid Union Thug

Overpaid Union Thug Well-Known Member

I haven't been asked in 17 years. And I wouldn't be a supervisor at UPS (particularly an OCS or center manager) for triple the pay I get now. It just isn't worth it.