Being pressured to join the dark side

Rack em

Made the Podium
So for the past few months the sups and center manager have been asking when I will be putting in my letter of intent for management. It started out like a playful kind of deal but recently its like every other day they are asking. I'm a likable guy and get along with everyone including management, but I dont know where they got the idea that I had any intention of going into management? I have only been a FT driver for a little under a year, but I love my job and love delivering. Unless they offered me $150k+ a year, full benefits, and a tenure position, I wouldnt even consider going into management at this point in my life.

The thing that really pissed me off today was the center manager and our shop steward were having a talk in the office and I needed to ask the center manager a question so I politely interrupted. Before I could utter a word the center manager says "Are you here to put in your letter" and our shop steward went along with it and said I would be a great supervisor and I should do it! And he was serious. Isnt this guy supposed to stand up for me and the union and keep union employees!?!?

Just curious if anyone else gets asks this by management often? Maybe there is a certain quality they are looking for or something? I need to get rid of that quality so they quit asking lol

billerz

They have never asked me and most likely never will, probably has something to do with the amount of termination letters I've gotten over my 9 years lol.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Oh I never had any intention of EVER going management. I've seen the :censored2: they go through and it isn't worth it. I just think it's weird that they want me as a supervisor so bad?

Packmule

In my early years I got asked by a few sips. I was flattered a bit, but politely declined. Had a wife and a home. No desire to be married to the company or get moved all over the district every couple of years. Grew up moving often and wanted my kids to have what I never had. A hometown.

9.5er

It seems like an easy fix. Just tell them No, Hell No, Kiss my ass it'll never happen. They will get the picture. Atleast my management team did.

Overpaid Union Thug

So for the past few months the sups and center manager have been asking when I will be putting in my letter of intent for management. It started out like a playful kind of deal but recently its like every other day they are asking. I'm a likable guy and get along with everyone including management, but I dont know where they got the idea that I had any intention of going into management? I have only been a FT driver for a little under a year, but I love my job and love delivering. Unless they offered me $150k+ a year, full benefits, and a tenure position, I wouldnt even consider going into management at this point in my life.

The thing that really :censored2: me off today was the center manager and our shop steward were having a talk in the office and I needed to ask the center manager a question so I politely interrupted. Before I could utter a word the center manager says "Are you here to put in your letter" and our shop steward went along with it and said I would be a great supervisor and I should do it! And he was serious. Isnt this guy supposed to stand up for me and the union and keep union employees!?!?

Just curious if anyone else gets asks this by management often? Maybe there is a certain quality they are looking for or something? I need to get rid of that quality so they quit asking lol

I haven't been asked in 17 years. And I wouldn't be a supervisor at UPS (particularly an OCS or center manager) for triple the pay I get now. It just isn't worth it.