Being reassigned........To Ground..

thedownhillEXPRESS

Don't think this isn't possible this fall.
Ground needs new workers, Express needs to get rid of them(without layoffs or buyouts)
With fedex corps history of threading legal loopholes, I can't wait to see what the higher seniority purple cool aid drinkers think when they are given this option because "their" route has been "cut".

vantexan

Don't think this isn't possible this fall.
Ground needs new workers, Express needs to get rid of them(without layoffs or buyouts)
With fedex corps history of threading legal loopholes, I can't wait to see what the higher seniority purple cool aid drinkers think when they are given this option because "their" route has been "cut".

Won't happen. Ground drivers aren't FedEx employees. If you are laid off you could always work for a Ground contractor.

thedownhillEXPRESS

Won't happen. Ground drivers aren't FedEx employees. If you are laid off you could always work for a Ground contractor.

This is going to be a "grand" restructuring.
Things people say wont or cant happen, are gonna happen...
Dano can tell you fedex has some very high priced attorneys that find a legal way to pull off some amazing crap.
It will help save face by "offering" certain employment options with ground, if not you just voluntarily resigned.

thedownhillEXPRESS

Nope, sorry, they have to keep the two divisions separate to keep Express under the RLA.

They will still be seperate.
You wont be an express employee working for ground.
You will be losing your position at express, and offered some type of "oppurtunity" at ground, a foot in the door so to speak.
Avoids buyouts, unemployment insurance, and will look good to the media.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
This is going to be a "grand" restructuring.
Things people say wont or cant happen, are gonna happen...
Dano can tell you fedex has some very high priced attorneys that find a legal way to pull off some amazing crap.
It will help save face by "offering" certain employment options with ground, if not you just voluntarily resigned.

Dano will also tell you that it would be a monumentally stupid thing to do if it's even possible at all. Why would Express, seeking a 10% margin, pay for Ground drivers??? Why would Ground take on the responsibility for drivers' wages when NOT doing that has been a major factor in its financial success??? Why would anyone even consider this when these reassigned Ground drivers would not be covered by the RLA and thus free to organize a union under NLRA protections?

My God, people. Now it's assumed that Express couriers will be reassigned to Ground based on.... well, someone just thought it up.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
You will be losing your position at express, and offered some type of "oppurtunity" at ground, a foot in the door so to speak.

And as a Ground employee, you'd be paid by Ground, which isn't part of the Ground business model. You'd also be free to organize under the protections offered by the NLRB, which also isn't part of the Ground business plan.

What you're saying is that Ground will take on a major threat to its bottom line so that Express can save a few bucks. Or to put it another way, Fred will risk losing a ton of money so that he doesn't have to risk losing a little bit of money.

SmithBarney

McDonald's isn't going to fire you and offer you a job at Burger King, FedEx wants these two companies separate, and they operate as such.

vantexan

You were saying the Express employee has to take the Ground job or he "voluntarily resigns" from Express. I believe coercion is illegal.

HomeDelivery

i think the OP is implying that the couriers will apply for a Ground/ HD job instead... Express can't reassign you to Ground. they'll maybe suggest you go over there if you want more hours or work straight through the delivery day instead of having major split times.

if they'll drop the hammer in Oct, you can apply for temp help for peak season at Ground / HD... around my area it's ~$13/hour +OT driving rental cargovans/ boxtrucks from Budget, Ryder, Enterprise, Penske, etc. HD is easier than Ground in terms that it's mostly 90% deliveries with no commit times.

But if you can knock out ~15 stops per hour or more, working for a contractor may be more beneficial, depending on how dense the area you're serving. I've seen more than a handful of them that can burn through their day ~25 stops per hour and return to the terminal by 3-4pm!

thedownhillEXPRESS

You were saying the Express employee has to take the Ground job or he "voluntarily resigns" from Express. I believe coercion is illegal.

This already happens.
If your station downsizes you have X amount of time to find another position in the company, if not you "voluntarily" resign.

HomeDelivery

wait... you are saying that the Express Courier will get re-assigned to be a Ground Package Handler? the pay for a handler is ~ $11.xx per hour & it's only like 3.5-4 hours per day; maybe more during peak

well, that is such a downgrade... my advice is somewhat better if you want to stay as a driver & don't need paid vacation, sick days, OT pay... unless you work for the temp agency for this upcoming peak season to get hourly pay.

vantexan

This already happens.
If your station downsizes you have X amount of time to find another position in the company, if not you "voluntarily" resign.

You have usually 90 days to find another job within the Express division, not the entire company. I knew a guy who became a Freght driver. He had to resign from his courier position and formally apply at Freight.

CJinx

wait... you are saying that the Express Courier will get re-assigned to be a Ground Package Handler? the pay for a handler is ~ $11.xx per hour & it's only like 3.5-4 hours per day; maybe more during peak.
That would really, really suck. I would honestly feel bad if that happened to anybody. Package handler is such a thankless **** job.

thedownhillEXPRESS

wait... you are saying that the Express Courier will get re-assigned to be a Ground Package Handler? the pay for a handler is ~ $11.xx per hour & it's only like 3.5-4 hours per day; maybe
more during peak

well, that is such a downgrade... my advice is somewhat better if you want to stay as a driver & don't need paid vacation, sick days, OT pay... unless you work for the temp agency for this upcoming peak season to get hourly pay.

Your first post I believe is closer.
I'm saying the restructuring will probably contain some type of porthole to move express employees into the ground system.
I don't know if that means easier path to ISP etc...
I do know your express wages and benefits will not continue to exist though.

thedownhillEXPRESS

How do you know?

Just trying to put it in context.
I'm saying IF indeed the restructuring includes some type of way to pave a path to move employees, it will be based more towards the ISP model and not one still being a Express employee (with express wages and benefits) working at Ground.
Sorry for the confusion.

bbsam

Staff member
What makes anyone think we'd hire Express couriers? I'm sorry, but I haven't seen alot that would make it seem worth the headache of putting up with alot of the attitude I see around here.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What makes anyone think we'd hire Express couriers? I'm sorry, but I haven't seen alot that would make it seem worth the headache of putting up with alot of the attitude I see around here.

OK, you are clearly having way too much fun with this. Don't you know what an honor it would be to have a former Express courier working for you? That person may even show you a thing or two.