Being reassigned........To Ground..

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Hey T.D.E. (OP),
I think you should change the title of this thread to "Even more rampant speculation than the last two threads that were called "rampant speculation"

bbsam

Staff member
You did. About a month ago you were saying you'd be willing to hire express couriers. You must have conviently forgot that.
I've had time to come to my senses. More likely I was poking at you and others to let you know what might be in your dark and dreary future.

bbsam

Staff member
Even in tough times, I don't know of too many Express couriers who would prostitute themselves low enough to go to Ground

I bet you'd be a natural though. Do you know how much to charge? Are you clean? Oh...you mean as a driver. No, that's ok. I think we can do better.

STFXG

Maybe all the express drivers will be offered positions in the USPS stations that we are acquiring? (how's that for rampant speculation?)

thedownhillEXPRESS

Maybe all the express drivers will be offered positions in the USPS stations that we are acquiring? (how's that for rampant speculation?)

Its insane.
The postal service is a constitutionally mandated government entity.
It has as much a chance of being privatized as the army does.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

Won't happen. Ground drivers aren't FedEx employees. If you are laid off you could always work for a Ground contractor.

Actually they can...and this is another one of the amazing feats that I have seen in my years in the salt mine. When we lost the big account at my station, the full time handlers stationed there were offered 4 options:

1. A select few higher seniority personnel were offered other full time spots.
2. A buyout offer for service and the opportunity to terminate employment with Express and employment with Ground.
3. A straight buyout and a swift kick in the seat on the way out the door.
4. If you couldn't find another position in 90 days you "terminated your employment willfully".

FedEx makes it own rules, always has and always will...it even says it in the "policies" that aren't anything but "guidelines".
The kicker is, to change jobs to other FedEx opcos, any of them, you have to quit and start over, losing any seniority you may have had.

vantexan

Actually they can...and this is another one of the amazing feats that I have seen in my years in the salt mine. When we lost the big account at my station, the full time handlers stationed there were offered 4 options:

1. A select few higher seniority personnel were offered other full time spots.
2. A buyout offer for service and the opportunity to terminate employment with Express and employment with Ground.
3. A straight buyout and a swift kick in the seat on the way out the door.
4. If you couldn't find another position in 90 days you "terminated your employment willfully".

FedEx makes it own rules, always has and always will...it even says it in the "policies" that aren't anything but "guidelines".
The kicker is, to change jobs to other FedEx opcos, any of them, you have to quit and start over, losing any seniority you may have had.

I agree with you, but he was saying that FedEx will possibly call couriers in the office and tell them they have two choices, drive for Ground with low pay and no benefits, or consider themselves voluntarily terminated from Express. Not going to happen and would result in a huge lawsuit if they were dumb enough to try it.

thedownhillEXPRESS

I agree with you, but he was saying that FedEx will possibly call couriers in the office and tell them they have two choices, drive for Ground with low pay and no benefits, or consider themselves voluntarily terminated from Express. Not going to happen and would result in a huge lawsuit if they were dumb enough to try it.

Negative, Van that is not what I am saying.
I am saying that as part of the restructuring, many will be told they can stay, but as part time.
Then they will roll out this grand plan like its some miracle sent from the heavens (actually legal) the ability to find employment, ISP, whatever some type of package deal to go to ground and leave express.
It will be sold as your only hope.
It makes Fedex look caring, and avoids mandatory layoffs.

Rhoderunner

Negative, Van that is not what I am saying.
I am saying that as part of the restructuring, many will be told they can stay, but as part time.
Then they will roll out this grand plan like its some miracle sent from the heavens (actually legal) the ability to find employment, ISP, whatever some type of package deal to go to ground and leave express.
It will be sold as your only hope.
It makes Fedex look caring, and avoids mandatory layoffs.
You just said the SAME thing in different words. It aint gonna happen. They will dump you without even the thought of "giving" you a chance to work for ground. They WILL NOT want you around at that point period.

vantexan

This is going to be a "grand" restructuring.
Things people say wont or cant happen, are gonna happen...
Dano can tell you fedex has some very high priced attorneys that find a legal way to pull off some amazing crap.
It will help save face by "offering" certain employment options with ground, if not you just voluntarily resigned.

Sure sounds like that's what you are saying.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Regardless of what they tell me when the bomb drops, I'm consulting an attourney that specializes in employment law. You know Fred will try to pull some kind of shanaegans while trying to push the envelope of the law while doing so. If he can have lawyers on his side so can we.

bbsam

Staff member
Regardless of what they tell me when the bomb drops, I'm consulting an attourney that specializes in employment law. You know Fred will try to pull some kind of shanaegans while trying to push the envelope of the law while doing so. If he can have lawyers on his side so can we.

Yeah. He'd never anticipate something like that.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

How much do you want to pay an attorney to tell you that you are an at-will employee who can be fired or laid off for any reason at all, save for race, sex, national origin, and the other 2 or 3 that are protected by law?