Being required to sign break acknowledgement Doc...

fatboy33

Is anyone out there being asked to sign some kind of break acknowledgement form? I believe this is purple's response to its drivers moonlighting for Lyft and Uber.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Is anyone out there being asked to sign some kind of break acknowledgement form? I believe this is purple's response to its drivers moonlighting for Lyft and Uber.

Oh, another required acknowledgement that you sign with a gun to your head. Typical FedEx Legal BS. I'm sure we have plenty of Uber and Lyft drivers amongst us, which is odd since we have industry-leading pay and benefits.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Say you won't sign it, and then you'll get be threatened with an OLCC or letter if you don't. Pretty soon, they'll have us signing acknowledgement forms that acknowledge the original acknowledgement.

fatboy33

I have not seen it yet. I was instructed to complete a Pre-SFA survey along with an acknowledgement of break policy. I wasn't told how to access the break policy form so I left. I'm sure I'll hear about it Monday.

Sparky

We don't have any break policy forms to sign as its all covered under the state, can't go over 6 without a 30 and can't go over 8 without an hour, same as DOT regs

dex 84

We don't have any break policy forms to sign as its all covered under the state, can't go over 6 without a 30 and can't go over 8 without an hour, same as DOT regs

Those are different than ours. State law is over 6 take a half, over 12 take an hour. FedEx policy is over 6 take a half, over 8 take an hour. Because of this we have different rules depending on mood, wind direction, and moon phases.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I believe the breaks they are talking about are the 10 and 34 hour resets required by the DOT.

I'm pretty sure the OP was talking about the HOS certification form required by the DOT.

fatboy33

How much money do uber and lyft drivers make?
I might need to get into this racket.
If you're willing to work Friday evening, Saturday and Sunday AM you could make decent pay from 10PM to 2AM and 5AM to 10AM are in demand times. Expect 130.00 per segment 10-2 or 5-10. New Year's eve, I've heard some guys making 600.00 for one night. The UBER drivers understand when the surges(surcharges) usually happen and, some of them, only work then. New years, Halloween, sporting events or the AM, surges can turn a 10.00 trip into a 30.00 or 40.00 dollar trip. NYE and Halloween surges go up as much as 7X. So take 3/ 20.00 trips and it could mean 420.00 for 2 hours work. If you don't like giving rides to girls wearing short skirts with a few drinks inside them, don't bother signing up.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
I wondered what happened to that jersey uber driver who got accused of sexual assault when the customer invited him inside after the job....

Artee

You probably have missed the boat depending on what area you are in. We were talking about this the other day. A guy pulled up the Uber app and there were lots of drivers in the area. Heck one was driving right by our building as we were speaking. I see them out at the airport every night. 20 cars parked on the other side of the freeway. 10 guys standing around around by the field having a circle jerk. Hoping for a fare. Nothing more than taxi drivers. Our airport is 10 miles from town. To waste time driving out there and sitting in a field with 20 other guys for 2-3 hours hoping someone will choose you for a $40 ride is a losing proposition in my mind. That's below minimum wage.

I am better off signing up for some Saturday FDX overtime at $45/hour. I will spend their fuel, maintenance and wear and tear on their tractor and will probably sleep 1/3 of the shift anyways.

It will be fine

You probably have missed the boat depending on what area you are in. We were talking about this the other day. A guy pulled up the Uber app and there were lots of drivers in the area. Heck one was driving right by our building as we were speaking. I see them out at the airport every night. 20 cars parked on the other side of the freeway. 10 guys standing around around by the field having a circle jerk. Hoping for a fare. Nothing more than taxi drivers. Our airport is 10 miles from town. To waste time driving out there and sitting in a field with 20 other guys for 2-3 hours hoping someone will choose you for a $40 ride is a losing proposition in my mind. That's below minimum wage.

I am better off signing up for some Saturday FDX overtime at $45/hour. I will spend their fuel, maintenance and wear and tear on their tractor and will probably sleep 1/3 of the shift anyways.
I'm no expert on tractors, but I'd advise against sleeping while driving one.

dex 84

I'm not putting miles on my car and using my gas to chase fares. Plus you have no idea what you're exposing yourself to when literally anyone could call you for a ride. Not worth it. There's better second jobs out there if you need to pick up the slack somehow.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

Be advised that they'll 1099 you (after they take their 20% to 30% off the top), meaning that you'll be responsible for applicable income taxes as well as both the employer and employee contributions for Social Security and Medicare. There are also liability issues to consider. If you tell your insurer that you're going to use your car for this, they'll jack up your rates. If you don't tell them, but have an accident while on duty, they probably won't pay it. Some people have gone through the trouble of creating an LLC and working it through that.

It might be worth the hassle if you live in an area with enough of a demand. You'll hear a lot about the handful of drivers who are making good money and nothing about the other 90% who aren't.