being sent home, probation, union?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by wornoutcowboy, Jan 15, 2015.

1. wornoutcowboy

wornoutcowboy New Member

My partner was hired by UPS as a package handler in early November. He is hearing impaired so does tend to miss information.
    Our questions are he has been sent home twice this week due to lack of work. They don't call him first but instead wait until he gets there and tells him to go home. Is they anything in the union contract that prohibits this?
    Also, he has not been approached by a union rep in order to join. When does that happen? He has been employed since early November so we assume he is off probation. Is that true?
    Is there anywhere on line to go to see an employee handbook so I can perhaps figure out some of this?

2. fres431

fres431 Active Member

Depending on what part of country your in your partner may just be seasonal

3. wornoutcowboy

wornoutcowboy New Member

He is in Arizona and we thought he was permanent part time.

4. 542thruNthru

542thruNthru Well-Known Member

Your best move would be to have your partner go down to the union hall and join the union. While he/she is down there he/she can talk to the BA and ask him any questions he/she may have.

Being in AZ I doubt anyone will come up to your partner while working to have your partner join.

Being that your partner is hearing impaired and may make mistakes more then normal. Becoming involved in the union will help in my opinion

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

There is no correlation between hearing impairment and errors in the workplace.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  6. wornoutcowboy

wornoutcowboy New Member

Any idea where the union hall is in Phoenix?

7. burrheadd

burrheadd Superstar

Can ya Google?

8. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

I knew a full timer who worked inside as a preloader and sorter who was completely deaf. He was limited in what jobs he could do such as never driving but UPS made sure they had a place for him in the hub. Probably as a token and make UPS good for hiring a disabled worker.

9. wornoutcowboy

wornoutcowboy New Member

Any idea where the union hall is in Phoenix?
    Yes, I tried Google but no idea what local this would be. Anyone know?

10. 542thruNthru

542thruNthru Well-Known Member

it was stated that he tends to miss information. When you miss information you tend to make mistakes. Was being helpful. Unlike yourself

11. burrheadd

burrheadd Superstar

Map of Teamsters
    Teamsters
    1 review
    Labor Union
    1450 South 27th Avenue, Phoenix, AZ 85009
    (602) 272-5561
    Closed now · Hours
    Call
    Directions
    Website

12. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

My son is hearing impaired so when I read what you wrote it hit a nerve.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. upschuck

upschuck Avatar bet gone wrong

Being hired in November, his time probably does not count towards his/her seniority. Days would start counting the day after Jan15th, or tomorrow. Newly hired people get sent home for lack of work often here, but doesn't last too long because of the turnover rate.

The contract are online here: http://teamster.org/upsupsf-contract-updates/ups-agreements-2013-2018. You're in the western region supplement so read that as well.

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  14. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

15. wornoutcowboy

wornoutcowboy New Member

For some reason he thought he had already passed his probation after 30 days of work. He did graduate from his trainer a while back. I will read the contract and pass on the information. Thanks!

16. wornoutcowboy

wornoutcowboy New Member

I already learned something. It appears probation for part time workers is 70 days. He may not have hit it yet.

17. upschuck

upschuck Avatar bet gone wrong

I was wrong Western region says seasonal period is Oct 1 - Dec 31, so start counting how many days he's worked since the beginning of the year. It also says the probation period is 70 days worked, in 6 month period of time. Good luck.

18. wornoutcowboy

wornoutcowboy New Member

Oh boy. It appears he will be on probation for 70 days from the January 1st point. I think I get it now. That is like a 5 month probation period.

19. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

Save a horse, ride a cowboy.

20. Shifting Contents

Shifting Contents Most Help Needed

Being hearing impaired does not prevent you from obtaining a dot card any longer.

http://nad.org/news/2013/2/dot-recognizes-deaf-and-hard-hearing-truck-drivers

• List