being sent home, probation, union?

browner89

This is a "PUBLIC" forum. If nobody wants to be called out for something don't post it, simple. BTW I'm not the one who took it to the next level, others done that for me.

You did take it to the next level though, you had the opportunity to not say anything but chose not to exercise that option and voiced your homophobic opinions. Which is fine and all, but to place the blame on someone else for you openly stating your opinion in an unprovoked fashion is just childish.

You have every right to feel how you do, you also have every right to voice it, but accept responsibility for your choice.

HardknocksUPSer

You did take it to the next level though, you had the opportunity to not say anything but chose not to exercise that option and voiced your homophobic opinions. Which is fine and all, but to place the blame on someone else for you openly stating your opinion in an unprovoked fashion is just childish.

You have every right to feel how you do, you also have every right to voice it, but accept responsibility for your choice.
I agree with the last part. Other than that I agree to disagree

rickyb

My partner was hired by UPS as a package handler in early November. He is hearing impaired so does tend to miss information.
Our questions are he has been sent home twice this week due to lack of work. They don't call him first but instead wait until he gets there and tells him to go home. Is they anything in the union contract that prohibits this?
Also, he has not been approached by a union rep in order to join. When does that happen? He has been employed since early November so we assume he is off probation. Is that true?
Is there anywhere on line to go to see an employee handbook so I can perhaps figure out some of this?

i would take a look at state/ federal labor laws and talk to the union.

in canada, UPS is federally regulated and they must pay you 3 hours each time you show up to work. in addition, i have up to 1 year to make a claim for wages that weren't paid. i would also wait until you are part of the union until you make a claim. UPS may decide to retaliate and fire you for another reason if you decide to stick up for yourself and follow the law.

ultimately you have to weigh the gains and losses yourself.

unfortunately this is the territory that comes with capitalism which is wage theft. if workers actually controlled the companies they worked in, they would be less likely to steal wages.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
So wait, INDE can say whatever gay thing that pops into his mind whenever he wants even when t does not add to the conversation but when this guy does it he's an :censored2:?

I don't give a hoot who puts what part of themselves into what but this situation here is jacked up.

I didn't realize I would be starting a major war when I asked the questions concerning my partner. Being hearing impaired he isn't overly confident in his writing skills and asked me to post the question. I am not sure how the board wanted me to refer to him. He is my partner.
Anyway, I would like to thank the board members who did in fact attempt to answer my questions. It seems crazy his probation will be so long but so be it. I do wonder if it is really worth sticking around for being he gets sent home so often and also his shift is right in the middle of the day so it makes it difficult to find a second job. Is it worth it? Will there be a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow?
And to hardknocksupser you can rot in pieces.

HardknocksUPSer

I didn't realize I would be starting a major war when I asked the questions concerning my partner. Being hearing impaired he isn't overly confident in his writing skills and asked me to post the question. I am not sure how the board wanted me to refer to him. He is my partner.
Anyway, I would like to thank the board members who did in fact attempt to answer my questions. It seems crazy his probation will be so long but so be it. I do wonder if it is really worth sticking around for being he gets sent home so often and also his shift is right in the middle of the day so it makes it difficult to find a second job. Is it worth it? Will there be a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow?
Thank you

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed

But the guy that said ride a cowboy is cool?

BTW, Reese's?

They're tastey.

Almost as much as skittles!

Last edited:

Rainman

Its all good.
The pot of gold is having one of the most secure, better paying jobs with benefits that a person without a degree can get. If it's worth it is your decision. Sometimes you have to suck it up for a long time to achieve something worthwhile.

Being I am not on the job and he is a bit out of the loop with his hearing issues I really don't know what the outcome of sticking it out would deliver. Where do hearing impaired package handlers end up in a few years? Are there any promotional opportunities out there especially for the deaf? Is it likely he will be doing package handling forever?

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Being I am not on the job and he is a bit out of the loop with his hearing issues I really don't know what the outcome of sticking it out would deliver. Where do hearing impaired package handlers end up in a few years? Are there any promotional opportunities out there especially for the deaf? Is it likely he will be doing package handling forever?
On the serious side. We have deaf helpers, golf cart drivers and loaders. I heard from a guy who knows a guy who says he's seen deaf drivers but I have never seen them in person.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
That's not all you said....you're entitled to disapprove or be homophobic....but like browner said, accept responsibility for your intolerance.

Go tell it on the mountain, dip:censored2:.

In fact, I dare you to run around work on Monday and profess your intolerance for others in front of the managers in your building.

You won't though, you don't posses the stones.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Go tell it on the mountain, dip:censored2:.

In fact, I dare you to run around work on Monday and profess your intolerance for others in front of the managers in your building.

You won't though, you don't posses the stones.
Excuse me? I'm far from intolerant and not remotely homophobic....I was referring to Hardknocks and his comments...see post#68 and his previous posts about skittles.