Belt-to-Car Training?

rubbadub

Preloader
Alright, I'm a pre-loader, and I'm having trouble falling behind at times. I heard there are certain strategies to make the job easier, but my supervisor and my trainer have not done a good job with training me. Can someone please help me make my job easier, and give me some pointers? I have 4 trucks to load at once. Thanks!:happy-very:

rubbadub

Preloader
Yeah, funny, I get it... Our belt moves a lot faster than your average belt, and I have 2wks experience, and find myself scrambling at times. I heard about some kind of "Belt-to-Car Methods" booklet, that has a system to make things a lot easier. I mean, we're very fast-paced at our location, and I rarely have time to even take a drink of water. Can anyone else help me out, please?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Alright, I'm a pre-loader, and I'm having trouble falling behind at times. I heard there are certain strategies to make the job easier, but my supervisor and my trainer have not done a good job with training me. Can someone please help me make my job easier, and give me some pointers? I have 4 trucks to load at once. Thanks!:happy-very:
Best pointer is work in the safest manner possible while doing the best productive load as you have been taught. If you need help, ask your sup for pointers on "how to do it safely and efficiently" in those exact words. That way he doesn't show you some jacked up pileitbehindthetrucktillanirregfallsonyourhead method.

rubbadub

Preloader
Thanks... The only thing I was taught was to pick the 1st car's packages first, if at all possible, and to let the belt do it's work, but by the time i get to load packages into my last truck, I have more from the 1st coming down the belt at me. Like I said, our belt moves real fast. There just must be an easier and more efficient way. When I watch preloader videos, people are walking at an average pace. Where I'm at, that's not an option. I'm rushing my ass off. If you have any other tips, please let me know. Thanks again, I really appreciate ANY help!

Cementups

Box Monkey
You could always use our loaders methods.......get behind the right car and throw it in. And the biggest concern of his supervisor is not how it's loaded as long as its in the right car. Walked in Wrong Cars are bad but misloads are no big deal.

Random_Facts

(Pre-loader myself, loading the famous 4 truck). I feel your pain! (Ok to some extent at least). The best advice I can give would be the following...

1). As everyone always says safety first. I'd recommend bringing a water bottle to work. That way you can drink some and not have to go off the line every few minutes. Half gallon works the best. The one with the handle. Unless of course you're a camel and have to pee after you drink that. I just happen to sweat it off lol. water bottles are your friend!

2). Grab some totes in the beginning of the day, (those brown bins usually in small sort, they come down and the sorter usually throws them off after going through them). At least in our hub that's how it works. Anyway, grab a few of those. Place them underneath the belt/or behind the package car. When AIR comes down, (air letters/small boxes with air) NDA. Place them in those totes. Less stress for a lot of others that way. easy for the driver, and saves you a trip in the car.

3). Are you in the front of the belt? Or one of the lucky ones who get the back of the belt/ Usually next to the stop bar? If you're in the front of the belt, request to have a car taken off. As it's a pain. If you're in the back of the belt, (and if the guy in front of you doesn't miss a lot). That'll make your life a little easier.

4). Slow down, don't rush. it's not a race. So what if the guy next to you is clean. (he might have been there forever also). take a pace you feel most comfortable with, and stick with it.

5). Every hub is a bit different, but if you own a walk-man/ipod. Bring that. (just remember the one ear bud in ear rule). I never thought in a million years I would ever bring one to work. But 2 weeks ago a co-worker talked me into it. best decision I've ever made. It really does make a lot of difference.

6). If you get a huge bulk stop, and if you have a stacking board. Pull the bulk stop off and set it there till the end of the day. That way you don't have to load it down the center, and make life more complex.

7). Talk with your drivers, most are understanding people, who've been there forever (most likely). they give some of the best tips in my humble opinion. sure your supervisor should know...(wait did I just type that?). ehh. They are supposed to know, but what do they know lol.

Anyway. I wish you the best of luck! Keep a positive outlook, you'll be alright.

rubbadub

Preloader
Thanks! As a matter of fact, I'm the last preloader on the belt. We don't have any air packages, but I do get a lot of big packages and tires. Even though I know it's not a hurry, I still feel like I should be going fast, so nothing piles up. I bring water with me, I bring a [****ty] radio with... But, I always have a supervisor watching every move I make, which makes me self-conscious of what I'm doing, and makes it unable to concentrate. Idk what it is, but I'm still struggling to keep up, while other people have only a few packages piled up. Idk... I almost walked out today because I was so overloaded... But I REALLY want to stick with it.

W

westsideworma

I'll tell you what, today was the first time in 6 years (know its not long compared to some of you) that I legit was about to lose my mind today at work. It was just a complete disaster (bulk on the belt that feeds my area jamming it up all day, stuff falling on me at the split etc....for the past 4 days). I split the belt as the person I'm supposed to have split the belt has about 900 pieces to load and one of his cars is on the opposite side of the belt (good idea I know). I run a belt to car area like yours and from what I've seen a 4 car pickoff would be a disaster anywhere but the back of the belt and even then it'd still suck royally. Then again the math doesn't lie, one pick i have is about 1000-1150 daily and the unload is generally down in 3 hrs....thats a 334-383 pph just to keep that pick up....which is NEVER going to happen on a belt, in fact it will create quite a mess on a belt to car pick. I'd say that at least 45 min of our day is picking up stuff at the end because they cram it down our throats at a pace that no one could keep up, but we wrap so no one cares.

On a boxline (many of you probably don't even know what that is, as most areas are belts now) 4 cars is doable, but you still can't follow the methods to a T with 4 cars, 3 yes, 4 no because by the time you load the last car (4th), the cage is already past your first one and you're behind. However at least here, when the flow lightens up the packages are still in the cage for you to grab next time....on a belt you missed them, they're gone until the end unless your neighbor pulls them off for you which they may not have time to do as they're screwed too. However the same math applies there too, no one is going to load 330+ pkgs an hour and they shouldn't have to as I know of no one myself included that could do that day in, day out, no misloads, no stacking, good loads and not get burned out. Not to mention our building isn't designed to process a flow rate like that, yes it can do it, but that doesn't mean it should.

ul7r05

The only thing I recommend is this:

1.) Work as far ahead of the belt as possible, I mean if you can work up to the splitter, do it. Be courteous and alert when working in other potential work areas of other employees. Don't be an obstacle to others, but if you can ninja your way around do so. Stack like drivers/trucks together of course when working ahead of your area.

2.) This only applies if you have the rollers or the end of the belt, so disregard this if you don't. If you do have the rollers/end of belt, try to load just the first 3 trucks and keep stacking the last truck on the rollers and let it build up. When/If volume slows for a second, try to play a game and time yourself loading the last truck when you have ample time. Have the mentality that you only load 3 trucks, but load 1 more for :censored2: and giggles when/if you have down time. Combining this with Step 1 is the best way to see results, but also the most challenging.

3.) Stacking and carrying OPTIMAL loads. Stacking your packages is so crucial it's almost forgotten. Don't stack wobbly ass combos of boxes. Taking the extra time to make a perfect stack is worth it. 7 random sized boxes might look hideous if poorly stacked, however if tactfully placed, might make a one time trip in the truck. This takes time and experience and will unfortunately vary based on your perception and wit. Be logical about what truck you decide to load. To make my point clear, don't prioritize 1 letter for your first truck over 7 boxes for your last truck. Every time you step foot in that son-of-bitch you better have an armful of :censored2: to load in the wagon. The belt is never going to stop or change speeds for you, and that takes time and experience to master. Some people load for years and never get a system down, while others can load for a few weeks and show excellent progress in the same area.

Future

Victory Ride
Thanks! As a matter of fact, I'm the last preloader on the belt. We don't have any air packages, but I do get a lot of big packages and tires. Even though I know it's not a hurry, I still feel like I should be going fast, so nothing piles up. I bring water with me, I bring a [****ty] radio with... But, I always have a supervisor watching every move I make, which makes me self-conscious of what I'm doing, and makes it unable to concentrate. Idk what it is, but I'm still struggling to keep up, while other people have only a few packages piled up. Idk... I almost walked out today because I was so overloaded... But I REALLY want to stick with it.
Dont walk out! I like your attitude that you care. Give it some time and keep trying your ass off as I already think you are doing. It will come to you. My loader(1yr) had the same problems as you when he started, but now I consider him the best on the belt.He really cares about doing a good job(as you)and i reap the benefits each day of his hard work.I do appreciate his effort and let him and his boss know each day.

Z

ZQXC

Neither Superman nor Jesus can load 4 trucks at once; you must load them individually. Does that help?

J

jibbs

You could always use our loaders methods.......get behind the right car and throw it in.

There's a reason it says "Professional Package Thrower" underneath my name. They bitch when we stack out but the belt's cranked too fast to load one package at a time. Compromise: toss (or slide) boxes inside the truck until you clear enough of the belt to deal with one truck at a time, working fast enough to ensure you don't let any one truck get too out of hand. My rule of thumb is if I have trouble walking into the truck, I need to hustle harder to get the ****er loaded and clean, just so I can repeat the process over and over again on four different trucks.

Normally I don't have to start doing that until I've got most of the truck loaded and I need to move packages to get the sequencing right (or, you know.. kind of close) which is probably about 2-3 hours into the shift. If I've got a box going onto a shelf section with free space then I make sure to only handle it once (or "OHIO!" as my first supe would yell at me during my probationary period).

J

jibbs

Does it make you feel better about yourself that you check the date of every post you see at the top of the forum? Like, are you one of those people that just wait for moments like these so you can use a sweet internet buzzword?

I hate people like that.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Does it make you feel better about yourself that you check the date of every post you see at the top of the forum? Like, are you one of those people that just wait for moments like these so you can use a sweet internet buzzword?

I hate people like that.

Not at all.

It's just that new members come in, get all excited about reading everything and give advice for issues that have already been resolved.

Actually, the ones that ask questions that could be answered with a simple search are worse.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Not at all.

It's just that new members come in, get all excited about reading everything and give advice for issues that have already been resolved.

Actually, the ones that ask questions that could be answered with a simple search are worse.
agreed, I read the first two posts before I realized it was a three year old thread. Ten bucks says that guy who almost walked out has long since quit..lol.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I hate people like that.

He's retired----other than waiting for the Meals on Wheels lady and watching Jeopardy, he has little else to look forward to during the day.

QualityLoads

And..............yet another necropost.

it may be a necro post but it sure did give me some decent info as i'm at end of belt with rollers loading 4 cars. have i seen this earlier i wouldn't have posted a thread on the topic.

Definitely the best tip i've gotten thus far (Screw management, Take care of your drivers)

Yesterday i misloaded a Next Day Air onto the last drivers car. The driver took the heat for me, he told management he was helping me wrap up the load and the air got stuck to another package. Anytime management tries to blame things on me, my driver immediately goes out of his way to let them know that i'm doing a good job (curses at management when necessary). Whether you're in preload or a driver helper, go out of your way to make your drivers day easier. They will fight for you and give you great advice (they've been in your shoes before). If not for my helper driver putting in the word to HR about me, i would have never had the opportunity to work preload. And now i might tribute my seniority to the driver who fought for me throughout my probationary period. Here's to my last upcoming week of probation.