Benefits and union membership

emhech

Hi, I just wanted to know when I was entitled to receive benefits and union membership. I was hired during the freeze nov 08 so I know it doesn't start accumulating till january 09. I work in the metro jersey district if that helps. Thanks for your time.

backinbrown

respect my authority
Hi, I just wanted to know when I was entitled to receive benefits and union membership. I was hired during the freeze nov 08 so I know it doesn't start accumulating till january 09. I work in the metro jersey district if that helps. Thanks for your time.

Are they taking any dues out of your check yet

i would ask your shop steward

gandydancer

See left column

"• Teamster News
UPS NMA 02 - 08
UPS NMA 08 - 13"

"Article 3.
Recognition, Union Shop and Checkoff​

Section 1. Recognition​

...All present employees who are not members of the Local Union and all employees who are hired hereafter, shall become and remain members in good standing of the Local Union as a condition of employment on and after the thirty-first (31st) day following the beginning of their employment...​

Article 22

Part-Time Employees​

...​

Section 7 – Benefit Entitlements​

Part-time employees hired after August 1, 2008 will receive holidays, personal days and option days provided by any applicable Supplement, Rider, or Addendum no earlier than after one (1) year of active employment. This provision supersedes any provision on the same subject in any Supplement, Rider, or Addendum to the extent the provision makes holidays, personal days or option days available earlier than after one (1) year of service."​

...and you don't get family med benefits for 18 mo. Thank the folks whe voted for this contract for the new screw job.​

emhech

That really is a joke to be honest, who in their right mind would wait a year? For benefits when they only "guarantee" three and a half hours a day. I understand this job should be only supplemental income. I hardly find it fair for people who rely on these benefits for their family. Not that i'm in that situation but a year common...?

evilleace

Well hey if you don't like it quit don't wait a year I am sure you will find another pt job or even a ft one that gives you pretty much free insurance that has top of the line bennies also, so go ahead quit the job market is great out there right now.

emhech

Yeah thanks for your useless input! I knew some d___k would come along and tell me about the job market. Like no one else knows it's bad... genius

jennie

That really is a joke to be honest, who in their right mind would wait a year? For benefits when they only "guarantee" three and a half hours a day. I understand this job should be only supplemental income. I hardly find it fair for people who rely on these benefits for their family. Not that i'm in that situation but a year common...?
I got hired when I recieved mine within 2 months. I know it would be hard if I had to wait a year, but I would, knowing how good the benefits are for working part time. If you can stick it out, try to stay, it will be worth it for your benefits. If you have another job keep that insurance until ups goes into effect. Good Luck:happy2:

705red

Browncafe Steward
Yes it is longer for you to receive benefits under the new contract. However you now receive family coverage at 18 months when it used to take 36 months from seniority.

Hang in there, the benefits are worth it alone, nothing like knowing that when you kids get sick they are covered and at most all i will pay is $5 for a script for them.

Also were you laid off at all between your oct/nov date?

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz

People were taking advantage of the benefits then quiting...UPS made a smart move IMO

gandydancer

Yes it is longer for you to receive benefits under the new contract. However you now receive family coverage at 18 months when it used to take 36 months from seniority...

Maybe it was 36 months in 705, but the '02-'08 contract Article 34 didn't have the new "override the riders" language. I don't think it took 3 years here, or any extra time.

emhech

Yes it is longer for you to receive benefits under the new contract. However you now receive family coverage at 18 months when it used to take 36 months from seniority.

Hang in there, the benefits are worth it alone, nothing like knowing that when you kids get sick they are covered and at most all i will pay is $5 for a script for them.

Also were you laid off at all between your oct/nov date?

Nope never laid off yet. Knock on wood, our center still has a pretty high volume for this fantastic economy.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Emhech. if you were not laid om jan 2nd you should retain your original oct hire date. Go talk to your steward.

Dark_Team_135

In the Central Region unless you obtained seniority before November 1st, your seniority date will be the first day worked after December 31st.

You do get credit towards the 30 working days in 90 for all days worked before November 1st though if you are retained or recalled within 60 days after December 31st...

Emhech. if you were not laid om jan 2nd you should retain your original oct hire date. Go talk to your steward.

705red

Browncafe Steward
In the Central Region unless you obtained seniority before November 1st, your seniority date will be the first day worked after December 31st.

You do get credit towards the 30 working days in 90 for all days worked before November 1st though if you are retained or recalled within 60 days after December 31st...
Sorry to hear that. It might not seem like a big deal right now, but that month of seniority means a lot of a career.

jimstud

Banned
in local 653 after you have done 500 hours you recieve your benefits and then you have to get your 500 hours every 6 months

gandydancer

in local 653 after you have done 500 hours you recieve your benefits and then you have to get your 500 hours every 6 months

"This provision supersedes any provision on the same subject in any Supplement, Rider, or Addendum to the extent the provision makes holidays, personal days or option days available earlier than after one (1) year of service."

So, not those benefits. Also...

"a) Notwithstanding Section 1(d) above, effective January 1, 2008 health and welfare coverage for all part-time employees on the payroll at that time and those hired thereafter will be provided pursuant to the terms of an Employer sponsored nationwide health care plan, namely, the UPS National Health Plan for Part-Time Employees. (A copy of the Summary Plan Description will be provided.) Features of the plan will include a prescription card. This paragraph shall supersede any provisions on the same subject in any Supplement, Rider, or Addendum, including those Supplemental provisions which require part-time benefits to be equal to or the same as full-time medical benefits."

...and...

"(b) Notwithstanding Section 1(d) above or any contrary provision in any Supplement, Rider, or Addendum, (i) individual health coverage will be made available to part-time employees hired after August 1, 2008 after twelve (12) months of active employment and (ii) spousal or dependant coverage will be made available to these part-time employees eighteen (18) months after their initial date of employment."

...so, not those either. Not if emhech is pt, which seems apparent.