Benefits of being a PT Union Steward

U

Updog07

I am curious as to how it would personally benefit a UPSer to become a shop steward for Teamsters. You know, like what would be in it for me? I know people don't just run for the additional responsibility.

Nike

Off the top of my head the additional hours you may receive. For example a coworker gets in trouble and asks you to sit in on a meeting with management. That would be extra time you probably weren't getting.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Off the top of my head the additional hours you may receive. For example a coworker gets in trouble and asks you to sit in on a meeting with management. That would be extra time you probably weren't getting.

An extra 30 or 40 minutes every few weeks when something random pops up before or after sort isn't "worth it" to be a PT steward and definitely doesn't balance out the hours of unpaid phone calls and parking lot conversations.

If you're asking "what's in it for me?" you're probably the last :censored2:ing person that needs to do the job.

The benefits include doing a thankless job that needs to get done so your local union can function. Occasionally you get a bonus, like making someone who grosses 8x or 9x your annual wage do something he or she said they never would.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

This typically only happens outside of regular work hours when someone gets caught stealing on another shift or gets caught with drugs. Definitely shouldn't be an incentive to become a steward.

U

Updog07

Stewards don't do it for the extra money.
Years ago, My part time staurd used to write up supervisors all of the time for working. Then he would get paid for the time they had worked. I'm sure that wasn't his only reason for being a stuard.

SoCalUPS

The benefits of being a steward is learning how the Union works and the politics involved in the workplace. It will also help you to deal with different scenarios and rationalize.

ski or die

Ski or Die
When I decide to become a steward (not stuard-sounds like turd-try your spell check), it was because of the BA we had was a company man and he up until that point had hand picked his stewards. So we forced an election. I was tired of watching the abuse of the contract and abuse of my fellow workers. It was an uphill battle fighting against the BA and company, but my fellow workers and myself were able to stop much of the abuse. Never ever received anything from the union for my work, but never expected any. Just the pride and respect of forcing the company to honor the contract and treat employees as human beings, not animals.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
I am curious as to how it would personally benefit a UPSer to become a shop steward for Teamsters. You know, like what would be in it for me? I know people don't just run for the additional responsibility.
Cadillacs for all stewards!

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
The satisfaction of helping someone once in a while that truly deserves to be represented. Other than that it is listening to the bitching and moaning from the rank and file about everything else like insurance problems ,union dues, seniority issues etc.