Bereavement Days

ScottBarnett

Hey guys. First time poster here. Found this forum while looking for the union book online and I wish I would have found it a long time ago.

Anyways, my grandfather passed Tuesday morning and a part-time sup told me I was only allowed one bereavement day since it was only my grandfather and not my wife or child. My union steward is off the clock right now and not giving me the time of day so I'm here asking you guys if this is correct. Do you only get one bereavement day for a grandparent passing?

If they are wrong, could you also include the page number of the union book? I don't have one on me since I'm at the funeral now. Thanks guys.

ikoi62

i dont have my book with me but..the last time i read that section it was 3 days in state and 4 if out of state. that could vary by region or local.
grand parents are included as close family like mother father and brother and sister...
sorry about your loss.

rod

Retired 22 years
Sorry about your loss. Don't believe some piss-ant pt sup who is slimmy enough to tell you that. Tell them you will be taking the time you need to honor your Grandpa. Heartless bastards like that sup should be taken out behind the woodshed and have the crap beat out of them. You should get either 3 or 4 days off (paid) depending on if you have to travel. After that, if you need more time off (unpaid) to grieve-- take it.

UPSGUY72

Hey guys. First time poster here. Found this forum while looking for the union book online and I wish I would have found it a long time ago.

Anyways, my grandfather passed Tuesday morning and a part-time sup told me I was only allowed one bereavement day since it was only my grandfather and not my wife or child. My union steward is off the clock right now and not giving me the time of day so I'm here asking you guys if this is correct. Do you only get one bereavement day for a grandparent passing?

If they are wrong, could you also include the page number of the union book? I don't have one on me since I'm at the funeral now. Thanks guys.

You can read about funeral leave in Article 29 Section 2. (page 72) of the national master agreement that can be accessed in first thread in UPS union issue forum on BC (this site)

However your rider might say something different... So you need to read your rider and see if it also says anything about funeral leave...

I'm off today because my wife's grandfather died this week and his funeral was today.

CRASH501

GRANDPARENT, SPOUSE PARENT, SIBLING IS 3 DAYS UNLESS YOU HAVE DOCUMENTED OUT OF STATE TRAVEL, but if you need extra "Unpaid" time most management will be accommodating!