Bereavement Question

kem9

My wife's grandmother passed away, and I was close to her. Is that type of relation covered under the bereavement leave?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The contract states that grandparents are considered family for funeral leave, I would just say that my grandmother had passed away and ask for the time off.
I'm sorry for your loss.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Also sorry, but I think they will give you the day of the funeral as unpaid, as I dont think if they delve that your wifes grandparent counts.

You can get time off for any family member. Getting paid time off is what falls under the specified family members in the contract. Be honest and upfront in your request for leave.

CRASH501

I lost 2 grandmothers in 3 weeks and didnt get paid a dime.....Oh yeah I forgot , Im out on comp because these S.O.B's refuse to honor my approved "A.D.A." filing.......

over9five

Staff member
You can get time off for any family member. Getting paid time off is what falls under the specified family members in the contract. Be honest and upfront in your request for leave.

My thought as well. If someday someone mentions to them that it was your wife's grandmother, you can plan on being fired for dishonesty.

brown_trousers

My thought as well. If someday someone mentions to them that it was your wife's grandmother, you can plan on being fired for dishonesty.

I think that would be an interesting situation. they obviously cant fire you for a "rumor" that it was your grandmother in-law, and not your biological grandmother.

Are they going to dig up family geneology on you? Maybe hire a private investigator to look into it?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think that would be an interesting situation. they obviously cant fire you for a "rumor" that it was your grandmother in-law, and not your biological grandmother.

Are they going to dig up family geneology on you? Maybe hire a private investigator to look into it?

...or ask that you bring a copy of the obituary when you come back to work...

...or ask that you bring a copy of the obituary when you come back to work...

That's nothing to base termination on. A obituary is created by the family. All that needs to be pointed out is the paragraph stating " survived by blah, blah, and X number of grandchildren" to shoot a hole in their discipline attempt. Then a phone call to HR to complain about the insensitivity of mgmt to toss some sprinkles on the sundae.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I know I have posted this before....

But, funeral pay (or bereavement pay) is meant to compensate an employee for lost earnings.

It's not meant, to be some kind of windfall. If you are being compensated by short, or long term disability....You're not eligible.

Same goes for workers comp. Most of the time, documentation is required. (easy to obtain)

An hourly employee should never have to grieve a delay in payment....

-Bug-

over9five

Staff member
But the OP asked if he could get paid for his wifes grandmothers passing.
IMHO, that is not in the spirit of the contract and it would be dishonest to try to get paid for it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would hope that his center team would give him the day of the funeral off so that he can be there to support his wife but, no, it does not qualify for bereavement leave.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Not in my center (unless they suspect something). I have used bereavement leave twice and have never been asked to supply "proof".
I have had to use it four times, and each time I was required to produce an obituary. And I had to grieve one to get paid, as the sup I emailed it to said he never got it. I live in Ohio, I emailed it from Texas. I would have assumed they would have just paid it, AND i COULD HAVE SHOWED IT TO THEM THEN. But no the sup did not have the courtesy to tell me when I got back I was not getting paid. So Yes I filed a grievance, because its just too sensitive of an issue to have to fight for compensation. And I won. I settled for 4 hrs pay, + my 3 days. It just proved that when someone who never files, files, it is pretty bad.

W

want to retire

It is absolutely covered and paid. Immediate family is covered. Your wife's grandmother....is your grandmother.....just bring the obit for the a-holes.....

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Your wife's grandmother....is your grandmother.

Section 2. Funeral Leave
In the event of a death of a member of the employee’s family, a seniority employee shall be allowed a reasonable time off to attend the funeral or other bereavement rite.
Members of the employee’s family means spouse, child, or step- child, grandchild, father, mother, brother, sister, grandparents, mother-in-law and father-in-law and step-parents.

Unfortunately, your wife's grandparents are not covered.

The contract covers the employee's maternal and paternal grandparents.

It is sad when an employee has to grieve for funeral pay.... The result of incompetent lower level management.

-Bug-