Best Christmas ever. 1st year in Retirement.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Best Christmas ever. 1st year in retirement. Never have I had a more relaxed Christmas than this year in retirement. My sleeping hours are a little more in retirement, but I don't notice it as much. Been retiring about 102 hours a week, but I don't hurt at night like I did at UPS. I don't know what I'm doing everyday and how many hours I'll be retiring from now until Christmas is over. Waking into retirement during Christmas is like playing Russian roulette. Don't know if I'll sleep all day or work in the yard that day. Scared just to go look at the clock when I wake up to see if it is Noon yet. Might be retiring 8 hours or 13 hours but it doesn't matter. Best of all, I don't have to work on Christmas eve.

How is it for other people in retirement?

texan

Best Christmas ever. 1st year in retirement. Never have I had a more relaxed Christmas than this year in retirement. My sleeping hours are a little more in retirement, but I don't notice it as much. Been retiring about 102 hours a week, but I don't hurt at night like I did at UPS. I don't know what I'm doing everyday and how many hours I'll be retiring from now until Christmas is over. Waking into retirement during Christmas is like playing Russian roulette. Don't know if I'll sleep all day or work in the yard that day. Scared just to go look at the clock when I wake up to see if it is Noon yet. Might be retiring 8 hours or 13 hours but it doesn't matter. Best of all, I don't have to work on Christmas eve.

Soon, not yet, but soon.
I see the light, it is small, dim and hard to see.
But since I see it, I have hope.
Hope is what I need right now.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Soon my friend, soon.

barnyard

KTM rider
We had someone retire a week after Thanksgiving. She came in on the 14th for her cake and all that. Our building invites other retirees to come in and offer their congrats and then they usually all go out to breakfast that day. From what I saw, retirement is the anti-aging drug. So many of the retirees look younger now than they did when they retired. I think it is great and hope that they all get plenty of time to enjoy it.

Johney

Soon, not yet, but soon.
I see the light, it is small, dim and hard to see.
But since I see it, I have hope.
Hope is what I need right now.
I'm with you my friend,close just not as close as I'd like to be.
1 year come January. I'm out.

barnyard

KTM rider
You're going to retire RIGHT AFTER PEAK!!!! Are you nuts?!?!?!??! I would retire right before peak. You might check with your local and see when you have enough hours to be eligible for vacation. Our recent retiree has enough hours in November to qualify for next year's vacation.

Best Christmas ever. 1st year in retirement. Never have I had a more relaxed Christmas than this year in retirement. My sleeping hours are a little more in retirement, but I don't notice it as much. Been retiring about 102 hours a week, but I don't hurt at night like I did at UPS. I don't know what I'm doing everyday and how many hours I'll be retiring from now until Christmas is over. Waking into retirement during Christmas is like playing Russian roulette. Don't know if I'll sleep all day or work in the yard that day. Scared just to go look at the clock when I wake up to see if it is Noon yet. Might be retiring 8 hours or 13 hours but it doesn't matter. Best of all, I don't have to work on Christmas eve.How is it for other people in retirement?
are you drunk??

No, I have not been drunk in almost 30 years.

I figured if Feeder was so great, retirement would be even better.
Ok I get it I was just having a hard time with retiring 102 hours this week stuff. Make sure you exercise and stay active maybe nail the old lady twice a week. If you sleep all the time you are going to end up dying in two years. I'm glad you are happy.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hoke, when exactly was your last day and what did the company do for you?

My official retirement date is 2/28/2013.
My last day at work is 1/22/2013.
I am on vacation from 12/22/2012 until 1/13/2013 ... the classes I teach at the college starts back on January 14, 2013 so I wanted 3 weeks of true vacation.

I really don't care about anything other than my pension and benefits but my management wants to do something.
I told my boss that I did not want a after-work dinner unless all levels of employees in our group was invited.
I told her I preferred a late afternoon recognition at the end of the work day in the cafeteria.
We'll discuss as the date gets closer.

On a more salient point, to me anyway, UPS will pay me a good retirement until both me and my wife are dead and healthcare benefits until age 65 for both my wife and myself. At age 65, I will get some credits to buy some supplemental insurance - probably enough to cover the donut hole in Rx.

Last edited:

DS

Fenderbender
Hoke.Did you mean walking into retirement?
I'm lucky to retire 50 hours a week.
I envy you,but realize that God doesn't like me as much as you,
and I may well Kack trying to get where you're at.
I want to be able to buy lots of beer when I retire,so I'm gonna hang
in as long as I can.I'm happy you have so many choices.
Merry Christmas.

Mike57

Enjoy retirement. Just because you're retired, doesn't mean that you have to stay away.
We enjoy your wisdom and your knowledge.Stay in touch..

old brown shoe

30 year driver
Congrats to you for making it to the finish line. I went on vacation in Nov. and never went back. My last day they had a cake and told everyone to grab a piece and get on the belt. The plaque for my retirement didn't make it and I was last driver in. The last day was a disappointment just like a lot of my career, so was not a big surprise. Most of the other drivers were given their last day off from work I was given extra work. OH WELL I'm a great customer this peak and get to see some of my fellow drivers at my place three or four times a week. Life is good.

brown bomber

brown bomber
At least everybody thus far, has retired on their own terms........this wasn't an option for me...disability FORCED me into retirement, I didn't hear JACK S H I T from UPS, even though they were well aware of my situation...by the way I never even emptied out my locker...and I have no intention to.......Sept., 1977 (start date)- Nov., 2011 (official retirement date)...never heard anything from UPS, or anything from the Teamsters either.......it's just as well, I never really expected anything, other than what I was entitled to........I navigated the retirement process on my own, I'm still not sure if I didn't mess up on some portion of my retirement

texan

My official retirement date is 2/29/2013.
My last day at work is 1/22/2013.
I am on vacation from 12/22/2012 until 1/13/2013 ... the classes I teach at the college starts back on January 14, 2013 so I wanted 3 weeks of true vacation.

I really don't care about anything other than my pension and benefits but my management wants to do something.
I told my boss that I did not want a after-work dinner unless all levels of employees in our group was invited.
I told her I preferred a late afternoon recognition at the end of the work day in the cafeteria.
We'll discuss as the date gets closer.

On a more salient point, to me anyway, UPS will pay me a good retirement until both me and my wife are dead and healthcare benefits until age 65 for both my wife and myself. At age 65, I will get some credits to buy some supplemental insurance - probably enough to cover the donut hole in Rx.

My official retirement date is 2/29/2013.

A leap year date? huh?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Enjoy retirement. Just because you're retired, doesn't mean that you have to stay away.
We enjoy your wisdom and your knowledge.Stay in touch..

I expect the Upstate harassment to start soon.
I'm researching the best places to get cartoons and videos to post on here - those seem to be favorites of Upstate.

Last edited: