Best Christmas ever. 1st year in Retirement.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Are you satisfied with what you accomplished inside the company? Yes/no, can you elaborate?

I'm not sure I understand your question?

I am satisfied in that I was compensated well for time and effort I dedicated to UPS.
I am satisfied in the pension and healthcare I will receive in retirement.

Management is measured on predefined elements and I always scored well on those but I don't feel any satisfaction from that except these scores helped keep me at the top end of my pay band.

Is that what you meant?

downtime8763

Best Christmas ever. 1st year in retirement. Never have I had a more relaxed Christmas than this year in retirement. My sleeping hours are a little more in retirement, but I don't notice it as much. Been retiring about 102 hours a week, but I don't hurt at night like I did at UPS. I don't know what I'm doing everyday and how many hours I'll be retiring from now until Christmas is over. Waking into retirement during Christmas is like playing Russian roulette. Don't know if I'll sleep all day or work in the yard that day. Scared just to go look at the clock when I wake up to see if it is Noon yet. Might be retiring 8 hours or 13 hours but it doesn't matter. Best of all, I don't have to work on Christmas eve.

How is it for other people in retirement?

Retirement can be great as you are finding out and you can set your own work hours if you want. I return to my old center every now and then and the look in the eyes of the drivers is all I need to tell me I did the right thing.I had three in the building that had more time in than me and from what they have told me the last few times two are ready to go. Enjoy retirement,I do and we have earned it!!

ja4079

ja4079
This will be my last Christmas at UPS as I plan to retire in the spring, after 34 years it is time to let someone else have my area.

stealth8

I retired November 29, 2012. My last delivery was made at 19:14:26Hrs on November 28, 2012. (co-worker presented me with the records of my last day). Have loved it so far. Went down to the Outer Banks of N. Carolina for a week, it was very nice and deserted down there, and the weather was in the 60's!

We got back at 8:45pm last night and my UPS driver and his helper were still in my neighborhood delivering! Ask me if I miss it!

Merry Christmas to all of you!!

oldupsman

My official retirement date is 2/28/2013.
My last day at work is 1/22/2013.
I am on vacation from 12/22/2012 until 1/13/2013 ... the classes I teach at the college starts back on January 14, 2013 so I wanted 3 weeks of true vacation.

I really don't care about anything other than my pension and benefits but my management wants to do something.
I told my boss that I did not want a after-work dinner unless all levels of employees in our group was invited.
I told her I preferred a late afternoon recognition at the end of the work day in the cafeteria.
We'll discuss as the date gets closer.

On a more salient point, to me anyway, UPS will pay me a good retirement until both me and my wife are dead and healthcare benefits until age 65 for both my wife and myself. At age 65, I will get some credits to buy some supplemental insurance - probably enough to cover the donut hole in Rx.
Congrats Hoax. You're just gonna be amazed at how much better life will be. And I telling you, you won't miss UPS. Not even a little bit.

raceanoncr

I expect the Upstate harassment to start soon.
I'm researching the best places to get cartoons and videos to post on here - those seem to be favorites of Upstate.

Harassment? Really? You'll just be told there's no place for you and your retiree flunkees on BC.

Congrats Hoax. You're just gonna be amazed at how much better life will be. And I telling you, you won't miss UPS. Not even a little bit.

I second that...congrats. Yes, I was apprehensive at first. After all, I'd never done anything like this before. My dad retired when he was on his last leg and passed shortly after. Seen many other go downhill. All the others here that I know from UPS, either regret it or have to, I should say, MUST go get another job and are hating it. I didn't want that to be me. And it hasn't been, after over 2 yrs. Love it.

It sounds like you have enuff hobbies/activities/interests to keep you busy, if that's what you want or need. Good luck, and welcome.

packageguy

Best Christmas ever. 1st year in retirement. Never have I had a more relaxed Christmas than this year in retirement. My sleeping hours are a little more in retirement, but I don't notice it as much. Been retiring about 102 hours a week, but I don't hurt at night like I did at UPS. I don't know what I'm doing everyday and how many hours I'll be retiring from now until Christmas is over. Waking into retirement during Christmas is like playing Russian roulette. Don't know if I'll sleep all day or work in the yard that day. Scared just to go look at the clock when I wake up to see if it is Noon yet. Might be retiring 8 hours or 13 hours but it doesn't matter. Best of all, I don't have to work on Christmas eve.

How is it for other people in retirement?

Happy to see people still make it to retirement

tardus

Congratulations Hoaxster. This is also my first peak season in retirement. (I wanted to retire last year but they wouldn't let me go. As my buddy said, "Just look on the bright side, you get to experience one more peak season!") After retiring, I was afraid that I would be waking up in cold sweats thinking that I was late for work, but you would just be amazed how quickly you can get used to being relaxed! It's like getting paid to do just anything you feel like when you feel like it!