Best Course to take?

Amanda J

My husband has been on his hubs load/sort for 6 years now. His goal is to get to full time package car driver and he is currently 3rd in line in seniority. If he signs up for a seasonal driver, which has a short contract, would he still be able to move to a full time spot should one become available during his seasonal contract? Or should he just stay part time sort and wait it out? Any info would be helpful. Most info coming from the Union rep and management seems... let's say vague... up to this point.

barnyard

KTM rider
Read your contract. Why can't he do both. Here, if a person is a seasonal, they can still sign a FT bid if it comes up. In my case, I was told that I was seasonal when I went to drivers school and was told at the end of summer that I was FT perm. Never had a ride along or any of it.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Seasonal doesn't effect your place in seniority where Im at. You can drive seasonal and still bid on the full time position when it becomes available based on inside seniority.

upschuck

In my area, I have always been told and seen that you can always bid into a higher paying job. Assume it is in contract, but don't know where, or if it is past precedence. So driver is higher pay than seasonal, so shouldn't have problem. Different area may have different rules.

Pkgcar1988

He can do both, seasonal is just temporary but if they need him full time they will take him. He doesn't lose his seniority just because he went seasonal. Plus he might find out being seasonal that he doesn't want to be full time!!!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
He can do both, seasonal is just temporary but if they need him full time they will take him. He doesn't lose his seniority just because he went seasonal. Plus he might find out being seasonal that he doesn't want to be full time!!!
I'm pretty sure Amanda J will make sure he wants to be full time.

If he gets into an accident while driving seasonaly he can't go full time for a year.

Avalon

Avalon
My husband has been on his hubs load/sort for 6 years now. His goal is to get to full time package car driver and he is currently 3rd in line in seniority. If he signs up for a seasonal driver, which has a short contract, would he still be able to move to a full time spot should one become available during his seasonal contract? Or should he just stay part time sort and wait it out? Any info would be helpful. Most info coming from the Union rep and management seems... let's say vague... up to this point.

If he goes seasonal will he lose his bid seniority? That is something to think about. Wouldn't want to lose it all for a seasonal position

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Have fun never seeing your husband if he goes fulltime.

Amanda J

Thanks for the replies. For those who seem concerned about the topic, I already do not see my husband since he works second shift. Two hours a day would be an improvement. He has wanted full time since he started. There is a seasonal and full time bid up at the same time. They hire seasonal as a back up to the drivers. We just wanted to make sure a seasonal contract would not prevent him from moving to full time if the seasonal spot got filled first. Thank you all for your input. It is greatly appreciated.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Your Local allows part-timers.... to bid directly in to feeders ??

-Bug-
No. Only full-time employees, minimum 1 year FT, clean driving record for the required time period. Does not have to be FT package driver (language added in 2008).

south philly

If you guys have combo jobs he would be better off doing that driving isnt what it used to be there are 2 many rules now they want to know what ur doing every minute if u want you're marriage to last take a combo job less stress on both of you

Sent using BrownCafe App