best hubs to work at in Philadelphia/ West Chester area?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by cyguy, Jan 12, 2015.

1. cyguy

cyguy New Member

Been working as a preloaded out in California for a couple years while going to school out here. Finishing up school this summer and looking to transfer back to my home town. I was wondering if anybody has input on what hubs are best to work at around the Philadelphia area? My hometown is West Chester. I want to eventually become a driver and was wondering how many years of working as a preloader it takes to become a driver in that area? I know at my current hub it only takes a year or two. Thanks for your help

2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

The only transfer available to hourlies is the educational transfer. You would most likely have to quit and hope to be re-hired.

3. oldupsman

oldupsman Well-Known Member

There is a building in both West Chester and Willow Grove. They both put on alot of new drivers this fall.
    There are also alot of package car drivers retiring in those 2 buildings the next 3 to 4 years. If you have a clean
    record and are well thought of in your current building I'd talk to your current sup now and have him put
    in a good word for you at the West Chester building. They're always looking for good people. You're probably
    going to have to quit though and get rehired. Be surprised if they let you transfer any time you have in the company.

4. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

What are you studying?

5. Peppermint Patty

Peppermint Patty Cardboard Pusher

Why does UPS make it so difficult to transfer???? Seems like if your a good employee with senioriy it wouldn't be near
    Impossible to transfer but it is.

6. JWProudDad

JWProudDad New Member

It's because of the seniority system. Imagine working at a center for 8 years and 3 months, you're next in line, then someone who's been with UPS 8 years and 4 months transfers to your center. Bumped

7. Peppermint Patty

Peppermint Patty Cardboard Pusher

Ya that part I get you should lose building seniority but still have the option of transferring is all I am saying.

8. MyTripisCut

MyTripisCut Well-Known Member

Wouldn't everyone transfer to Hawaii or Key West if it were easy?

9. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

You're finishing up college and want to be a driver?

10. oldupsman

oldupsman Well-Known Member

Well, no. I never wanted to live in Key West or Hawaii.

11. McGee

McGee Well-Known Member

Hmmm tropical storms from time to time with the occasional hurricane -vs- beautiful temps, pig roasts, luaus and volcanoes.... damn either sounds cool at the moment! LOL!

12. MyTripisCut

MyTripisCut Well-Known Member

Volcanoes are better to deliver in than blizzards

13. Bren_dan

Bren_dan New Member

..I would.

Does anyone here work in Hawaii or some other tropical location? I'm curious what it would be like.

14. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Hawaii is a great place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. Tourism is the number 1 industry there and they want visitors spending their money but not living there.