Best Peak in Many Years

MassWineGuy

I can't speak for other stations, but for us at GDM it was the best peak in about 10 years. Lots of volume, but over many days, not one or two. Plus delivering weekends to get ahead of Monday and Tuesday deliveries. But the biggest reason peak went well this year, and I'm sure I speak for my pals at UPS, can be explained in two words:

Good weather.

The company also decided to join the real world and hire lots of temps, which also helped a lot.

pkg4me

We had a great peak at our small station. It was actually warm a few days and working Sunday really helped out. I've worked harder the week after Christmas covering for vacation...no im not swing, just get treated as such without the pay ;P

Goldilocks

I can't speak for other stations, but for us at GDM it was the best peak in about 10 years. Lots of volume, but over many days, not one or two. Plus delivering weekends to get ahead of Monday and Tuesday deliveries. But the biggest reason peak went well this year, and I'm sure I speak for my pals at UPS, can be explained in two words:

Good weather.

The company also decided to join the real world and hire lots of temps, which also helped a lot.

Get a life. When u have walked in our shoes for 25 plus then you can post " its a wonderful life" what a joke

Goldilocks

Good weather.

Grow some bolas

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

Good weather.

Wait.... Didn't you just start at FedEx?

MassWineGuy

Get a life. When u have walked in our shoes for 25 plus then you can post " its a wonderful life" what a joke

Whoa! Settle down boys and girls. You too, Goldi, whatever you are. If I'd walked in your shoes for 25 years I'd have walked in front of a bus a long time ago.

Yes, I can see how it would take 25 years for some here to figure out how well their company is doing its job. As well as 25 years to figure out how to put shoes on or brush their teeth. Luckily, for the rest of us who are up to date on the evolutionary ladder, all we needed was to open our eyes. I know four peak seasons isn't 25, but it's enough to notice improvements. Even a blind man knows when the sun is shining.

Those of you who do nothing but complain how bad FedEx is need to seriously consider changing jobs. No one's holding a gun to your head to stay, and if you feel so mistreated it's a mystery why you do stay. Maybe in a year or three I'll be the one complaining, then you can say I told you so. For now, I'm satisfied with my job, my location and those I work with. If some of you aren't, you have my sympathy.

Are the benefits and money as good at FedEx Express as at UPS? No.

Are they ok? Many aspects could be better, but in general, yes. I know, a 401(k) instead of a retirement plan. But that's what all major companies have been doing now for many years.

That Teamster contract comes at a price and every UPS driver I've known (both of them) has been routinely pressured and abused by management to the point where many of them are so miserable you wonder if it's all worth it. It's great to earn $75,000 or more. That's cheap money for UPS considering the work they do. But not if you develop ulcers and your body's falling apart from being forced to make 200 stops a day.

I fail to see how my original post drew such venom, but to those few snakes among us, get a life. Or at least a job that you like better. Or at least keep your fingers off the keyboard and give the rest of us some relief.

Oh, and let me clarify something: When I said it was the best peak in 10 years, I was citing the opinions of those who have been working peaks for more than 20 years.

Last edited:

BigTex61

Hey Goldi, you sure have changed your tune like bb said! What happened! Looks like your the little bad, winey wolf now! Did someone pee in your purple poridge?