Best phone for package car driving?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Ashell, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Ashell

Ashell Member

Its been a while since I did driver helper, so I don't know what technology has gone into cars as far as GPS. But are there any phones out there that have better features for drivers? durability, signal, helpful apps, carrier? I know handling your phone and driving is a no no, but voice commands and Bluetooth, or is that even allowed?

2. TooTechie

TooTechie Geek in Brown

We don't need phones. If we did, UPS would issue them. I keep telling my on-car that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. Future

Future Well-Known Member

Motorola-_DynaTAC_1.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Our PCM yesterday was about the updated policy on distracted driving. Basically we are not supposed to touch our phones or DIADs whether the wheels are rolling or not. I bring my iPhone4 to work everyday but rarely if ever use it, certainly not for navigation or "turn by turn".

5. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

This worked well.
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. The rare, almost extinct species.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

When was the last time you saw one of those? And if you saw one, was it working?

8. Richard Harrow

Richard Harrow Deplorable.

There are 3 on my route!

9. jaker

jaker trolling

My phone is in my pocket all day but that is because I stream pandora while I am working

And don't buy a phone based off this job , buy a phone based on the reason you want it

10. Ouch

Ouch Well-Known Member

e="UpstateNYUPSer, post: 1306185, member: 12570"]Our PCM yesterday was about the updated policy on distracted driving. Basically we are not supposed to touch our phones or DIADs whether the wheels are rolling or not. I bring my iPhone4 to work everyday but rarely if ever use it, certainly not for navigation or "turn by turn".[/quote]
    Didn't you post that you use your phone to call pickups and your helper and whom ever else you needed to call to make your day run smoother? Now your posting you rarely if ever use it?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. joeboodog

joeboodog good people drink good beer

My phone sits in the cup holder on the dash. It sits there untouched until the end of the day. A few customers have my number but they rarely call. It's there for emergency use only.

12. bluebiker

bluebiker Member

Have you checked to see if they work?

I've tried them at the railyard 4 phones, none work. Probably the only place where payphones work are airports or outside bodegas in the city where they sell phone cards to immigrants to call home.

13. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

Didn't you post that you use your phone to call pickups and your helper and whom ever else you needed to call to make your day run smoother? Now your posting you rarely if ever use it?[/quote]
    I use my phone at work as needed. Oftentimes to make my day go smoother.

14. Future

Future Well-Known Member

The ones i see have needles or crack pipes next to them.

15. Marne Vet

Marne Vet Well-Known Member

Yup, and always dial the 1-800-865-XXXX free number FIRST, then your centers number, and never pay for a call.

16. Marne Vet

Marne Vet Well-Known Member

Any phone is fine. You won't need the phone for work, meaning you don't have to use it to call customers that leave notes asking you to call them, and signal strength in the area you work is Carrier based, so look at coverage maps before buying a phone. The only useful apps I need for work are SiriusXM, and Podcasts.

17. rod

rod retired and happy

For the majority of my career cell phones weren't even around. We had to use our brains. --------------------------ok--I asked for it--bring it on.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. soberups

soberups Pees in the brown Koolaid

Whatever phone you wind up with, buy an Otter Box for it. A package car is a harsh enviornment and at some point you WILL wind up dropping your phone. I have a 3 yr old iphone 4 that is in mint condition because it has spent its whole life in an Otter Box. Plus they have a clip on the back so you can attach the phone to the metal lip above the sun visor or some other convenient location.

Sent using BrownCafe App

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  19. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 ahhh....the mouth breathers

I saw one the other day...minus a receiver..lol

20. scoutlover

scoutlover Member

My suggestion is a Droid Razr Maxx HD. It has the longest battery life of any phone out so it's awesome for streaming music on those 12-14 hour days.

Sent using BrownCafe App

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List