Best phone for package car driving?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Bulkhead door closed while loading? Hell----sometimes for my first few stops my cab was so full of packages I had to move a few every time I shifted.
That's what I was told a few years ago...they rarely enforce it. Keeping the bulkhead door open when it's hot gives a little bit of ventilation...I'll take it till they turn on the AC....lol

Overpaid Union Thug

My past two phones have been Casio G'zONe phones. No Otterbox required. The first was the Brigade. It definitely was NOT a smart phone but had real buttons and I could use GPS at work when needed but strictly turn by turn. My current phone is the first "smart pone" by G'zone called the "Commando" and is a sluggish piece of crap but has taken plenty of abuse that would have sent most smart phones to the nearest cell phone doctor or resulted in a hefty deductible from Asurion. I frequently use the Google Maps app and occasionally the turn by turn directions.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Nice! Management doesn't enforce it, but the UPS rule is when PC's are being loaded, the bulkhead door is supposed to remain closed...maybe that's why? lol
My route is parked outside on an MDU and during the winter the preloader leaves the BH door open so he can idle the engine and run the heater every few minutes.

soberups

One time when I was preloading I tossed a roll of fabric into an almost full package car, on top of the stack in the middle. It bounced off all the way into cab and knocked out the windshield. I just told a sup and they didn't do anything to me about it.
I accidentally ran a 6' long, 60 lb. piece of steel bar stock through the passenger side windshield one time when I was trying to manhandle it out the side door. This was 20 yrs ago in a P-800; these cars didn't have little side windows like the new ones do, the rear view mirrors were mounted far enough forward that you looked at them thru the windshield. The entire side of the windshield was crunched up to the point that I couldn't see thru it at all and had no way to use my passenger side mirror. I was in the middle of doing pickups with an air drop 45 minutes away. Solution? I borrowed a hammer from the stop I was at and busted the entire passenger side windshield out, tossed the debris into a dumpster, and kept on driving without a windshield on that side. Fortunately it wasn't raining. I wrote "replace windshield" on the DVIR that night and was complimented by my center manager for my resourcefulness the next day.l

soberups

Sorry, what's an MDU?
It is a 52' trailer with a conveyor belt down the middle, interior lighting, and 5 holes cut into each side that package cars are backed up to for loading. Our building is overcrowded so they park a couple of these things on the outbound belts against the outside of the building and run the belts backwards for the preload shift. When the shift is over they tow them away and replace them with conventional outbound trailers for the hub to load. I think MDU is an acronym for "modular delivery unit" but I'm not sure.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
image.jpg

Still rockin my first phone.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
It is a 52' trailer with a conveyor belt down the middle, interior lighting, and 5 holes cut into each side that package cars are backed up to for loading. Our building is overcrowded so they park a couple of these things on the outbound belts against the outside of the building and run the belts backwards for the preload shift. When the shift is over they tow them away and replace them with conventional outbound trailers for the hub to load. I think MDU is an acronym for "modular delivery unit" but I'm not sure.
ohhh..okay. We have those in the yard but only use them during peak.

Anonymous 12

Non active member
Its been a while since I did driver helper, so I don't know what technology has gone into cars as far as GPS. But are there any phones out there that have better features for drivers? durability, signal, helpful apps, carrier? I know handling your phone and driving is a no no, but voice commands and Bluetooth, or is that even allowed?
iPhone with an otter box. I used to be a big jawbone Bluetooth guy but I picked up a Motorola whisper and it's the cats ass. The voice texting is great.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Bluetooth pieces that cover only 1 ear are weak lol. I use the ones that cover both ears for music and talking. A lot easier to hear both with 2 ears. Kinda the same idea as its easier to see things with 2 eyes if ya feel what im sayin lol.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Bluetooth pieces that cover only 1 ear are weak lol. I use the ones that cover both ears for music and talking. A lot easier to hear both with 2 ears. Kinda the same idea as its easier to see things with 2 eyes if ya feel what im sayin lol.
Agreed. But it is not "legal" by ups standards. Was told by district manager " make shure only in one ear!!!!" Lol

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Job is so freakin boring and monotaneous, that's the only way I can get in my zone during the day to keep telling myself I don't hate the job lol. Job used to be ok but nowadays I think everybody hates the job. Just absolutely ridiculous now with the excessive overtime and harassment and the kindergarten cop shiznitt in the morning with these freakin gaywad idiots lmfao.