Best prize for recognition you've recieved from UPS? (missort frequency)

HazMatMan

Worst was when Manager RAFFLED off the safety money to the first 10 people who's names got picked out of a hat, that really pi$$ed me off, considering about 75 people worked on the floor, one winner was a freakin trainee and another winner eventually got fired for stealing, needless to say my name was NOT picked out of the hat that day.

supercool

During peak we had an incentive program where each week, two people would be "randomly" selected to win $500 each. The stipulation was that they had to show up on time each day. That's IT. It was supposed to go on for eight weeks during Nov and Dec.

Well, the first week rolls around, and the two winners are two of the biggest brown-nosers in the hub. There's no way that these guys could have been "randomly" selected. The next week, another set of suck-ups were chosen. I think they discontinued the program after that.

Also, we haven't had employee of the month in my building for about six months. In November they were going to start it up again, but they didn't. I actually went into the office for something and on one of the white boards there was "EoM list", and my name was up there for my work area. A friend of mine knew about it and congratulated me early because he wouldn't be there the day they handed out the awards. Well, that day rolls around, no awards. He asked me about it a couple weeks later (assuming I had gotten it) and I told him we never received anything. He went to the FT supe and asked about it, and he said since they never did the little ceremony thing, they didn't owe me my $10 gift card. Whatever. I can see how much they care anymore.

satellitedriver

During peak we had an incentive program where each week, two people would be "randomly" selected to win $500 each. The stipulation was that they had to show up on time each day. That's IT. It was supposed to go on for eight weeks during Nov and Dec.

Well, the first week rolls around, and the two winners are two of the biggest brown-nosers in the hub. There's no way that these guys could have been "randomly" selected. The next week, another set of suck-ups were chosen. I think they discontinued the program after that.

Also, we haven't had employee of the month in my building for about six months. In November they were going to start it up again, but they didn't. I actually went into the office for something and on one of the white boards there was "EoM list", and my name was up there for my work area. A friend of mine knew about it and congratulated me early because he wouldn't be there the day they handed out the awards. Well, that day rolls around, no awards. He asked me about it a couple weeks later (assuming I had gotten it) and I told him we never received anything. He went to the FT supe and asked about it, and he said since they never did the little ceremony thing, they didn't owe me my $10 gift card. Whatever. I can see how much they care anymore.
Do you work for a paycheck or "atta boy's".
I was elected senior class president, but the principle would not allow it. My life has been scarred ever since.
I feel your pain.

upsgrunt

Do you work for a paycheck or "atta boy's".
I was elected senior class president, but the principle would not allow it. My life has been scarred ever since.
I feel your pain.

Sat, what could you possibly do to get on the political blacklist in a high school officer election? By the way, I was also president of my high school class.

satellitedriver

Sat, what could you possibly do to get on the political blacklist in a high school officer election? By the way, I was also president of my high school class.
I was too radical for a Catholic school.
I thought some changes needed to be made.
The "Great OZ" didn't agree.
Story of my life.
PAX

Most useful item I got was a Founders Day gift back in the 1980's. It was a nice brass key chain. I used it to jimmy open the door to my dorm when I got locked out.

Most UN-useful item I got was another Founders day gift sometime in the 1990's. It was a pine tree sapling. What am I gonna do with a pine tree in Florida?

Employee of the Month stuff was nice back in the day. I got some mugs and plaques. The hub manager would take all the EoM's out to dinner.

Eventually the EoM award became polo shirts. Once a month there would be a football game where all the employees would wear their EoM polo shirts. They would then proceed to rip them to shreds during the course of the football game.

ups79

Most useful item I got was a Founders Day gift back in the 1980's. It was a nice brass key chain. I used it to jimmy open the door to my dorm when I got locked out.

Most UN-useful item I got was another Founders day gift sometime in the 1990's. It was a pine tree sapling. What am I gonna do with a pine tree in Florida?

Employee of the Month stuff was nice back in the day. I got some mugs and plaques. The hub manager would take all the EoM's out to dinner.

Eventually the EoM award became polo shirts. Once a month there would be a football game where all the employees would wear their EoM polo shirts. They would then proceed to rip them to shreds during the course of the football game.

I got that pine tree too. They said in no time it would be 100 feet tall. Me and my wife joke about it at least 4 times a year. Planted it when received, doubt if it is over 5 foot.

UPS Lifer

I instituted an Employee of the Year for the Hub and besides a Best Buy gift certificate for $200 the EOY also received a free pass for every recognition activity for the entire next year. In the hub there are a lot of recognition activities. The EOY got complementary steak dinners - pizza - BBQs - Italian or Mexican food ....what ever took place! The employees (EOMs) told me that the recognition letters we sent on UPS letterhead to their homes was one of the best forms of recognition because they had a hard copy of a personalized letter from the Business and Division Mgrs that could be used for their resume. This was another form of recognition that I pushed hard.

One quick note: If you don't use your budget for recognition you will lose it the next year. This is sometimes why you see things disappear. I always felt that it was some of the best money spent. It takes a lot of creativity to constantly come up new ideas to keep the folks interested but it is worth the effort! Another key is to ask the folks what is important to them.

govols019

You smell that?
We have a guy that's been waiting close to 10 years on a T-shirt that was promised him for being Employee of the Month. He brings it up every chance he gets.