Best solution?

Agent

I'm getting a laptop shipped to me. It's supposed to arrive Monday and according to the tracking information, it'll be arriving at my local hub today. The catch is that tomorrow I'm leaving for the week. Since this is a shipment from eBay, the seller doesn't want to change the shipping address even if I payed the fees. I need this for work purposes for next week when I'm gone. What should I do to solve this? The UPS Customer Center is not open on weekends.

over9five

Staff member
It is arriving today at the hub in one of many very full trailers. These probably won't be unloaded till Sunday night.

I think you're outta luck. Maybe you could leave a note for the driver to deliver to a neighbor? Maybe you could even have the neighbor overnight it to wherever you'll be.

klein

Für Meno :)
Call in as soon as they open 7 or 8 am, before the trucks head out.
I know in the center I was working, we always got last minute re-directs.

Would come in handy if you knew the direct phone number for that hub.
Otherwise leave a note at your door, and ask to ship it to your vacation residence.
Might or might not work, but atelast they won't send it back (leave them a number to call, too)

P

pickup

Call in as soon as they open 7 or 8 am, before the trucks head out.
I know in the center I was working, we always got last minute re-directs.

Surely you could call your sup, and he could tell the driver to keep an eye on your parcel and get it re-directed.

The man with the problem (original poster) made his first post so based on the info in the first post, did he give any indication that works for ups and has a sup to call?

And if he did work for ups, surely he would already know any potential solutions he could put into place .

Do you bother reading posts before you reply to them?

Agent

I don't work for UPS and I can't find a direct number to the hub. All I can find is the generic 1-800-PICK-UPS. If anyone else knows it, it's for the one in Oshkosh, WI. So it probably won't even get unloaded until tomorrow?

tracker2762

Unless it's a "signature required over 21", you don't need the shippers permission for an address correction. Another exemption would be if the shipper stated no address correction on label but sometimes QC doesn't follow that advice. The problem is usually address corrections are local. If it can be done I would pay the shipper the incurred fees.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Call 1-800-742-5877 first thing Monday morning. You will need the tracking number (1Z) on the package. You can ask that the pkg be redirected to an alternate address provided that this address is delivered out of that center. If not, the pkg would have to be address corrected and forwarded to that delivery center, which would add at least one day to the transit time. I have to assume that the alternate address is delivered out of the same center so if you call early enough Monday morning you should be able to get it redirected for same day delivery. It is called an DCR request.

Agent

How do I request an address correction without being the shipper? The new address isn't local though. It's about 100 miles away. The shipper doesn't want to change the address too, but maybe I can try talking to him some more.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How do I request an address correction without being the shipper? The new address isn't local though. It's about 100 miles away. The shipper doesn't want to change the address too, but maybe I can try talking to him some more.

If the new address is 100 miles away there is a chance that it may be delivered out of a different center. If this is the case the pkg would have to be address corrected and the charge for this would go to the shipper as we bill based upon the shipper number (digits 3-8 of the 1Z). If the new address is within the delivery area of your local center than it will only require a delivery change request (DCR) which I don't think we charge for but I am not sure. If there is a charge for that it would be billed to the shipper and you should probably reimburse him. Address corrections cost $10.

Agent

Actually, I red that wrong. It left for the Oshkosh depot yesterday. Is there a chance that it could have been unloaded yesterday?

Agent

:sad-little: okay then. I was hoping to call the facility to see if I could pick it up. I emailed the seller and asked if he could change the address. Thanks everyone.

klein

Für Meno :)
:sad-little: okay then. I was hoping to call the facility to see if I could pick it up. I emailed the seller and asked if he could change the address. Thanks everyone.

One last thing you could do... before 7am,(Monday), check the tracking number again (if it reads "out for delivery") you could probably go to the hub directly, and catch it, before it goes out on the long day, and won't arrive at your home probably not until after 5pm.
Bring ID with your address with you along.

But, in any case , call them.
And to be sure, it doesn't get sent back, leave a note on the door, too.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
The man with the problem (original poster) made his first post so based on the info in the first post, did he give any indication that works for ups and has a sup to call?

And if he did work for ups, surely he would already know any potential solutions he could put into place .

Do you bother reading posts before you reply to them?

Even if he works in the center, the chance of getting it before Monday AM is pretty slim, but I have seen it done on a few rare occasions.

There should be a supervisor in the building for the Saturday operation. If you can find him and convince him that its a dire emergency, potentially could locate the trailer, cut the seal and look for the package. Depending upon where the trailer is staged and how full it is, this can be quite difficult as the trailer should be patterned parked to block access to the rear door and there may be 1500 packages loaded on top of the one being looked for.

A second unlikely option is to try the same thing when the building opens on Sunday night/Monday AM for the preload operation. If it's a full time preload it should open around 11 pm Sunday night. If it's a typical part time preload it probably opens around 4 am Monday.

There is a pretty good chance it could be intercepted in the center on Monday am, just before the truck leaves.

All three options would require the person to go to the center to find a willing supervisor or manager. The official answer from customer service is that it's not possible.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Wouldn't it be possible to call and put the package on Hold for him to pick up? When the package is unloaded, it would be have a PAL label put on it that would hold it at the Center to be picked up as soon as the Customer Counter opened. The original poster would have to have the tracking number and bring a photo ID with the original address on it.

P

pickup

Wouldn't it be possible to call and put the package on Hold for him to pick up? When the package is unloaded, it would be have a PAL label put on it that would hold it at the Center to be picked up as soon as the Customer Counter opened. The original poster would have to have the tracking number and bring a photo ID with the original address on it.

What a great idea, scratch , I wonder why no one else brought that up?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I see "Hold" packages go down the Preload Belt all the time, my Package Car is parked a few spots from the end. The Pal Label has "HOLD" on it. Its like a "Same Day Will Call" except it doesn't go out for delivery the first time. We have several consignees who park out in front of the building and get their deliveries first thing in the morning as we are getting dispatched. We also have packages pulled off the package car by an OMS if the consignee can contact the Center before we leave the building. A driver or OMS if a driver isn't around will carry it out to their car and deliver it. The consignee doesn't have to wait an hour or two before the Customer Counter opens.

Last edited: