Best way to deal with aggressive dogs?

llamainmypocket

I get the impression that fear and aggresion are synonymous in the animal kingdom. If a dog can detect your fear then that would be interpreted as threatening based on such a premise.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
So, what does the company allow us to carry? I've tried dog treats unsuccessfully and usually show no fear but there is always that one that's hard to deal with or as I've seen several times, that one that surprises you around a corner. I figured pepper spray wasn't allowed to be carried on the truck since its a chemical.
There is no stated rule against pepper spray that I have ever been informed of, but it does not work very well against dogs. I have never been a fan of sprays in general because of their lack of effectiveness and the risk of the spray getting into your own eyes in a confined space. They are useful for cops as a non lethal option under certain circumstances but for civilian self defense against either 2 or 4 legged assailants they are a poor choice.

I have a couple of different stops on my route that have big, mean, absolutely psycho dogs that I have never met because the owner keeps them inside. These dogs growl and snarl and claw frantically at the windows or the glass doors as I approach and I can tell by looking at them that they would tear me up if they ever got out. One of the owners is elderly and I have always been afraid of them opening the door when I was nearby and being physically unable to restrain their dog, so at these stops I always carry a 5-cell MagLight flashlight with me. We cant have weapons but we can have flashlights and a 5 cell MagLight is basically a war club with a lightbulb at one end that could easily knock a mean dog (or person) out cold with one blow.

oldngray

nowhere special
dog_owners_understand_20.jpg

Sparkey86

Agree with scisector9. NI1 . Leave note in mailbox then the ball is in their court. I've done this 29yrs. After the second dog bite I had enough.